Sponsored by:

New Person Here

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 05:08 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Person Here

Hello there don't own an Impreza at the moment but am looking to purchase one soon due to a career change. I currently have a Toyota Supra which is up for sale and once sold i will be looking for an Impreza.

Due to the new job i can't use the Supra as at present i walk to work everyday and only use the Supra on the weekends - this will all change with the new job. I need something less conspicuous but still a little 'swift' a 'Q car' if you like.

Anyway enough of my ramblings - i do have a question and it relates to UK Imprezas which is what i will be looking for. How do high mileage Imprezas stack up?? If they have a comprehensive dealer history are they a safe bet??

I am really interested in a UK spec Impreza either wagon or saloon but just need to know that buying a high mileage example (which is all i can afford) isn't risky!

I would guess like all jap cars they are extremely reliable and bullet proof providing they are looked after.

Any opinions or guidance would be much appreciated as to would comments from anybody who owns a high mileage Impreza.

Well many thanks for you help and if anybody is interested in p/ex or swapping there Impreza for a beautiful 1994 black Supra Non Turbo, auto with TEIN suspension,Cusco brace and 17" alloys please let me know - its a gorgeous car and believe me i am gutted to be getting rid of it but i reckon an Impreza should fill the void nicely!!!!!

Scoobyralph
Old 28 July 2005, 05:13 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.
If you are short on cash then forget an Impreza. I dunno what a Supra is like to keep on the road but a Scoob is not in any way cheap to run.
Old 28 July 2005, 05:33 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Welcome.
If you are short on cash then forget an Impreza. I dunno what a Supra is like to keep on the road but a Scoob is not in any way cheap to run.
Not short on cash but initial outlay needs to be kept down the running side isn't an issue i just need to have some spare cash once the Supra is sold and the Impreza bought if you see what i mean.
Old 28 July 2005, 05:40 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

hi ralph and welcome to scoobynet!

scoobys are cool....but so is a supra!
Old 28 July 2005, 08:51 PM
devon03
Scooby Regular

Default welcome

good luck, can't help with the specific question. I had an o4 wrx that i did around 23 k miles in 11 months now got 54 sti which had done 4k in 7 months ans its ppp'd and a thirtsy weekend plaything ( at least it doensnt asnwer back)!!
Old 28 July 2005, 08:57 PM
devon03
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by devon03
good luck, can't help with the specific question. I had an o4 wrx that i did around 23 k miles in 11 months now got 54 sti which had done 4k in 7 months ans its ppp'd and a thirtsy weekend plaything ( at least it doensnt asnwer back)!!

were u impressed wiv my spelin sorry!
Old 28 July 2005, 09:02 PM
catmeat
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome,how much do u want to spend on a scoob,what sort of miles do u call high?

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2005, 10:38 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Welcome, have a 51 wrx ppp and bought recently from a subaru dealer (53k) on the clock.

IMHO if the car has a full service history and u get a years subaru warranty thats as much as u can expect. The cars hold there value 'almost' as good as BMW/AUDI/MERC so I reckon thats for a reason (quality built Jap car)....just look at all those classics out there that are mint.

Downsides: Insurance/Petrol (lifes a bitch but good fun) The cars are crap from cold....spluttery/slow until warmed (u could have a judder from the clutch), battery thats prone to dyeing if parked up for a couple of weeks (alarm system). Subaru original spares not too cheap. And standard brakes are crap.

Positives: The Growl !!, Turbo when it kicks in, Those country roads and the smile it puts on your face every time u drive it.
Old 29 July 2005, 12:30 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scoobynet ScoobyRalph.

Service history is a good starter, as long as you have receipts to back it up. I've heard many stories of the generous dealer stamp giving out freebies and therefore, you can't just rely on that..

As long as they can prove they've done regular oil changes and had services on time, there's not so much to worry about.

Modified ones can be a bit hit and miss. I've seen two purchases recently that were a blown engine asking to happen. They seemd very fast, but excessive boost and lack of fuel was evident on both, requiring immediate attention (although not costly).

I'm assuming you may be looking at a classic (92-00) Scooby. The cambelt changes should be done every 45k miles or every 3 years. Check you're not going to have an instant bill to get it done. Hopefully, they will have receipts from a reputable garage. (Although there are some very competent backstreet garages and DIY owners out there).

Have you decided whether you want an Import or a UK model, base model, or STi or any of the other types?

For an in depth guide to whats out there and the spec, look at: www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

---
Jon