Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted cycle carrier for 2003 WRX with STi Spoiler-- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 11:37 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mounted cycle carrier for 2003 WRX with STi Spoiler-- any ideas?

Hi all,

I'm looking to get myself a rear mounted carrier for a bike that will fit a 2003 WRX with an STi style spoiler.
I'm sick of jamming the frame into the rear seat and putting the wheels in the boot. I've had a look around and all i seem be able to find is roof bar style ones, at there's hee haw chance i'm sticking a bike in the roof of my car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 26 July 2005, 11:41 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Dont get me started on these bloody things ......... My pet hate, driving round bikes hanging all over the place obscuring the lights, indicators, number plates. Do you ever see them stopped, nope, but drive 2 miles an hour over the limit and your off to jail ..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Makes my blood boil...

Not aimed at you by the way Chris

Gary
Old 26 July 2005, 11:57 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Not aimed at you by the way Chris

Gary
Definitely can't be aimed at me, my bike is lying in the back seat wrapped in bin bags ;-)
Old 26 July 2005, 12:10 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Go for the roof mounted ones.

Adam
Old 26 July 2005, 12:21 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

My penny's worth, but you can get towball mounted racks (with lighting bars) from Pendle and Thule. These should all clear whatever wing's you have on the back.
Old 26 July 2005, 01:49 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

the saris sentinel fits over the wrx wing and is pretty adjustbale.

they also a saris bones which is a very unusaul device that may fit in between the spoiler and the boot as it is not a normal designed boot carrier.
have a look, your lbs should lt you have a go at fitting it.

in either case make sure you get side straps, ive been 80mph+ with the saris and the bikes dont move, my friend has a rack without side straps and the bikes waggle at speed !.

cheers

Peter
Old 26 July 2005, 06:26 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

We have got the detachable towbar on the Forester on which the carrier fits and will hold 4 bikes, when the towball comes off none of the mounts can be seen as they are tucked up under the bumper, this would be the same for the STi as it is a Subaru part.

Mog
Old 26 July 2005, 07:29 PM
si97
Scooby Regular

doubt you can get one to fit, i had a high rise one for my97 didnt really fit properly. got a roof rack one and its great. pricey but no chance of damaging spoiler.

ps. high rise bike rack for sale
Old 26 July 2005, 08:14 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

From my experience with the wagon, roof bars and a roof mount is the best solution by far for a scooby.

Tried a rear mount but no good due to the full width window with rubber edges gives you nothing to really hang the rack on (on the wagon) but as others have said I guess the biggext problem on the 4 door is the spoiler.

Thule roof mount bike racks are about £60 a pair in Halford ATM. Don't know how much the roof bars are though.
Old 27 July 2005, 12:12 AM
JPS3290
Scooby Regular

I can get my Avalanche GT 18" frame in the boot with the wheels off and placed on top. Tight fit but possible. Stick all my other biking gear around the bike
Old 27 July 2005, 07:06 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

I have a detachable tow bar, and tow bar mounted Thule rack.
It carries 3 bikes and has lights and no. plate etc included.
Clears the Prodrive rear spoiler and also folds down for boot access.
Although with 2 bikes attatched this is not required,boot will open.
My local Halfords had them on special offer at beginning of year,and at last look still on offer.
When at destination the whole lot goes into the boot.

I have used roof mounted which are good for road bikes,but if mountain biking ,mud covered bikes on top of the Scooby not too good.

Speed wise setting up, not much in it.
Speed wise driving ,I take bends slower with tow bar mount, due to swing at rear if going too mad.
Old 27 July 2005, 08:09 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

I would advise against rear mounted racks. I own a mountain bike company and had 2 scoobs, currently got a 2001 wagon wrx.

Back in the day when i was running a DH racing team - we used to always see competition bikes doing ghost rides down the motorway due to rear racks:
+ bikes just falling off
+ vibrations from flimsy fittings - rear bootlids and tailgates aren't designed for it
+ bikes are not all shaped properly for these racks.
+ rear windows smashing from vibrations and twisting
+ they cover the lights

The best racks you can get are Thule where you remove the front wheel and use a skewer to attach the front forks to the rack. There is a bit of extra drag but the WRX will still get above 135mph (important for hardcore mountain bikers on the way to races in, erm, germany). When I've not got a car load of people, I use a bike bag and it fits nicely into the rear of a wrx wagon. Neil Pryde bike bags (also good for shipping bikes on airlines) are available from Ultrasport UK in nottingham for about 95 quid. Keeps the oil n dirt away from the scoob.

here's an old pic of scoob before I attacked it with PPP and stuff. bike is a singlespeed K2 razorback. very very light.

rd
Old 27 July 2005, 09:19 PM
spyinthecamp
Scooby Regular

I have an Avenir Montana rack that fits perfectly to the rear of my 03 WRX fitted with a DR Motorsport RallyTech spoiler. The rack has got variable pitch and designed for three bikes so has the all important side restraints, but I'm not that brave in trying three.

I purchased mine from Bike Treks in Ambleside a couple of months ago for £40 or £50.
Old 27 July 2005, 09:50 PM
D3MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spyinthecamp
I have an Avenir Montana rack that fits perfectly to the rear of my 03 WRX fitted with a DR Motorsport RallyTech spoiler. The rack has got variable pitch and designed for three bikes so has the all important side restraints, but I'm not that brave in trying three.

I purchased mine from Bike Treks in Ambleside a couple of months ago for £40 or £50.
have they got a website, or a phone number, that will fit straight onto mine
Old 28 July 2005, 08:57 PM
spyinthecamp
Scooby Regular

D3MAN

Their wbsite is being reconstructed at the moment, but give them a call on 015394 31245. They do mail order and I have always found them very helpful.
Old 29 July 2005, 12:15 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Heres my effort
Old 29 July 2005, 01:38 AM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapiddescent
I would advise against rear mounted racks. I own a mountain bike company and had 2 scoobs, currently got a 2001 wagon wrx.

Back in the day when i was running a DH racing team - we used to always see competition bikes doing ghost rides down the motorway due to rear racks:
+ bikes just falling off
+ vibrations from flimsy fittings - rear bootlids and tailgates aren't designed for it
+ they cover the lights

The best racks you can get are Thule where you remove the front wheel and use a skewer to attach the front forks to the rack. There is a bit of extra drag but the WRX will still get above 135mph (important for hardcore mountain bikers on the way to races in, erm, germany). When I've not got a car load of people, I use a bike bag and it fits nicely into the rear of a wrx wagon. Neil Pryde bike bags (also good for shipping bikes on airlines) are available from Ultrasport UK in nottingham for about 95 quid. Keeps the oil n dirt away from the scoob.

here's an old pic of scoob before I attacked it with PPP and stuff. bike is a singlespeed K2 razorback. very very light.

rd
Hmmmm looks an awful lot like Thetford Forest to me. SS pervert lol, ive just sold mine as my knees were giving me problems.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:37 AM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapiddescent

+ bikes just falling off
+ they cover the lights

rd
How easy are the roof bars to fit onto the car, 'cos i have no desire to leave them on all the time and i'm fed up of wrapping the bike up in tarpaulin and stickign the frame in the back seat?