THE 64,000 QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 12:33 AM
PH0ENIX64
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE 64,000 QUESTION

Hello all.

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm just about to buy my first Impreza. I'm moving up from a hyundai coupe (dont laugh).

I had a look at Robinsons (rochdale), my local dealer and they have an ex-demonstration WRX (black) with the Prodrive pack (265 hp) with 1300 miles. for (£19k). No test drive yet.

Now, here is My dilemma. My boss has offered me his 03 plate WRX (belgium import) for £13,500 with 11k on the clock. Aparantly, this is is 260hp. I know that the milage is genuine as he only drives 3 miles to work and back each day. It is immaculate and I know it's been looked after

My questions are:-

1. My budget was £16,000. which would you buy?
2. What is the warranty with a belgium import? 3 yrs like the uk one?
3. Will the import have to be declaired as an import (for insurance) as it's come from within the european union?
4. Do you think my bosses is worth the money? It's my first subaru and I'm more than sure that I'm happy with 260BHP

And finally, how do I check that my bosses car is 260BHP and not less?
Old 26 July 2005, 01:10 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

OK, here goes answering in order
No:1 I would'nt buy either, the ex demonstrator is over priced, and will have been thrashed by all and sundrie from brand new and your bosses is a bit on the steep side, and if its been chipped to 260 bhp, its probably voided any warranty from Subaru.
No:2 Seeabove.
No:3 Yes it will have to be declared as an import, and will probably say so on the V5.
No:4 Again see No:1, i think your bosses car is overpriced, and the only way of checking the bhp is to get it on a dyno, if you have a budget of £16000, you can buy a brand new import for that money, or a Subaru approved used car, its also worth bearing in mind, that the new shape Impreza comes out soon and Subaru are offering some very good deals on 05 models to clear old stock, have a good search around and you may even get a brand new UK car for your £16000.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:19 AM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PH0ENIX64
Hello all.

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm just about to buy my first Impreza. I'm moving up from a hyundai coupe (dont laugh).

I had a look at Robinsons (rochdale), my local dealer and they have an ex-demonstration WRX (black) with the Prodrive pack (265 hp) with 1300 miles. for (£19k). No test drive yet.

Now, here is My dilemma. My boss has offered me his 03 plate WRX (belgium import) for £13,500 with 11k on the clock. Aparantly, this is is 260hp. I know that the milage is genuine as he only drives 3 miles to work and back each day. It is immaculate and I know it's been looked after

My questions are:-

1. My budget was £16,000. which would you buy?
2. What is the warranty with a belgium import? 3 yrs like the uk one?
3. Will the import have to be declaired as an import (for insurance) as it's come from within the european union?
4. Do you think my bosses is worth the money? It's my first subaru and I'm more than sure that I'm happy with 260BHP

And finally, how do I check that my bosses car is 260BHP and not less?
I have a 2003 wrx PPP, here are my opinions,

1. Neither, consider STI, especially JDM.
2. Not a subaru warrenty, third party if any.
3. yes
4. No to expensive. I'd think you could get a UK spec with subaru warrenty for that money.

Ste h
Old 26 July 2005, 08:33 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I would consider the Belgium one - you know it's history (I'm assuming that it's had one owner)
It's not a bad price
As it's technically a European car (like UK cars), there should be no problem with having PPP retrofitted (although TBH, i'm not 100% certain - others will be though)

There are other options to PPP, especially with the £2.5K left over in your budget. You don't say how old you are/if you've accounted for insurance, but if not, know a £1000 off your remaining budget.

That's still £1.5K for an exhaust system, ECUTEK upgrade.

If I were you, I'd try an STI. Whilst the performance is blistering, alot of people find that the car is "too extreme" in terms of ride etc. A WRX with PPP (or equivalent), some find is the happy medium.

With regards warrantee, you should check with your boss - he may have a 3rd party warrantee.

I would also check if it's got some type of tracking device.

Just my 2p

Dan

edited to add - 260bhp is a serious hike in performance over stock. Unless there's been some big work, I suspect a bit of pub talk here. Even a chip wouldn't add about 20bhp. If there is a chip, get it off ASAP. Even with the circa 240 bhp, it's still a damn site more powerful than the Hyundai. Get used to that first - not wishing to sound patronising, but they are a totally different beast to drive.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 26 July 2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 26 July 2005, 08:40 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Here's a better option -

HERE

Lower miles too with Subaru warrantee!!!

Dan
Old 26 July 2005, 08:44 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

1. Tell them to Poke the Demonstrator. (Thrashed to Death)
2. Tell the Boss to Poke the Belgian thing (While ever you're driving his old car mentally he has 1 up on you - You don't wnt that)
3. Get yourself an STi - You will then have 1 up on your Boss - You do Want that

With 16k in your hand you'll get a nice 03 Sti. Have a look on here.

Take Note:-

IF YOU'RE GUNNA GET A BEAR ! GET A F*CKING GRIZZLY

If you go WRX now you'll want an STi within a month!

Here endeth the 1st lesson

Listy
Old 26 July 2005, 08:45 AM
GU5
Scooby Regular

3 Miles each way I'd avoid that one. Not enough time to properly warm the engine, isn't most wear done when the engine's cold?
Old 26 July 2005, 12:32 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GU5
3 Miles each way I'd avoid that one. Not enough time to properly warm the engine, isn't most wear done when the engine's cold?
everyone has to travel the first 3 miles at the start of their journey though, thus everyone has engine wear. once he's got there he switches off so it doesnt need to warm up if its off ?!
Old 26 July 2005, 12:56 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
No:3 Yes it will have to be declared as an import, and will probably say so on the V5.
Sorry mate, but that is incorrect. All it will say on the V5 is 'declared new at first registration'. There will be no mention of it being an import provided it was imported into the UK from new.
Old 26 July 2005, 03:14 PM
New_scooby_04

1) If you can afford the insurance I'd consider a used Type UK STi. That figure also puts you nearly in range of a new imported WRX (UK Sec) from somewhere like Litchfield imports.
4) No, that's too high IMO. You could pick up a UK WRX PPP for that money also 260 bhp. Better resale value too!

NS04
Old 26 July 2005, 04:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

God this debate REALLY pisses me off.

Look, there are differences between imports...

Tell your insurance company its an import and they'll charge you around £3k

Tell them your car is a EURO IMPORT (ie parallel import and pretty much identical to a UK car) and see £2k tumble from the above figure

A lot of insurance companies see import as meaning grey import - not similar to a UK spec car ie Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) STi.

Getting back to your original question - I'd buy a new import for £16k if that was your original budget.

A lot of people on here will tell you to get an STI (I wish I'd got one), but don't forget Scoobynet is populated by a lot of people who drive a lot harder than I'd ever dare (and I don't hang around). Stepping up from a Hyundai, I reckon a WRX is a better move...

Get a new car in the current shape while you've still got chance...
Old 26 July 2005, 04:22 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

PH0ENIX64, i too am in the market for a STI for around 16k, there are not many around at that price with low mileage, tho they do appear now and again.

I currently have an 04 Clio 182 and the standard WRX doesnt really impress me enough, dont want WRX with PPP (insurance is higher than and STI) and dont want a JDM STI (insurance again) so TYPE UK STI is the only way to go as far as i'm concerned...
Old 26 July 2005, 04:29 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by homerjay
PH0ENIX64, i too am in the market for a STI for around 16k, there are not many around at that price with low mileage, tho they do appear now and again.
He never said he wanted an STI...
Old 26 July 2005, 04:30 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by homerjay

I currently have an 04 Clio 182 and the standard WRX doesnt really impress me enough, dont want WRX with PPP (insurance is higher than and STI) and dont want a JDM STI (insurance again) so TYPE UK STI is the only way to go as far as i'm concerned...
I got mine three months ago, UK sti 03, with extended warranty til 2007, for just over £16000. Missed about by a couple of hours on same car, lower mileage, WITH PPP, for £16000. Just keep looking, there are alot of 03 STi's out there and they are well worth the money!! Don't go fro your bosses import, it seems well overpriced, and it will always have been your bosses old car!

My Last car i bought in '99 was a 95 WRX, and until i sold it and bought the newer STi this year i regretted having gone down the WRX route. And I don't think you have to be a very hard driver to enjoy the STi. I'm 32 with two kids and rarely if ever drive near the car's limits.

Even still and as the man says, if you're gonna get a bear.........
Old 26 July 2005, 04:41 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nakedjem
And I don't think you have to be a very hard driver to enjoy the STi. I'm 32 with two kids and rarely if ever drive near the car's limits.
What's the point in having it then?

I'm only jealous
Old 26 July 2005, 04:51 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nakedjem
I got mine three months ago, UK sti 03, with extended warranty til 2007, for just over £16000. Missed about by a couple of hours on same car, lower mileage, WITH PPP, for £16000. Just keep looking, there are alot of 03 STi's out there and they are well worth the money!! Don't go fro your bosses import, it seems well overpriced, and it will always have been your bosses old car
both are good deals, were they at a subaru dealer?