Classic Sti buying advice please

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 10:57 PM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Sti buying advice please

Hi guys,
I've not long sold my RB5 WR Sport, and I'm already craving another Impreza!!
But this time I've decided to go for an early Sti (my mate imports them!) ......................

Only problem is, I don't really know what the difference is between a WRX Sti v2, v3 and v4?

Can anyone help me please and offer me some guidance!!

Thanks guys!
Old 21 July 2005, 11:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You can rule out an STI4 for starters, and virtually all V3s as well as you wont be able to register it.....

Simon
Old 21 July 2005, 11:32 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Unless it was registered prior to the new rules being introduced, like mine!
Old 22 July 2005, 12:06 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

I was of the understanding that v3's had a model report for them, so they would be ok?

I was just asking the difference so I know what a v4 has over a v3 etc....
Old 22 July 2005, 12:10 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Same engine (which can suffer from piston slap incidentally) but the interior is better in the 4, which is pretty much like the 5. There are many other minor bits, which you can find on SIDC.co.uk

If you can stretch to a 5, do it - much better car and has phase 2 engine. Extremely rapid too

MB
Old 22 July 2005, 10:35 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply's guys - but I think the v5 will be out of my price range :-(
Old 22 July 2005, 11:22 AM
MarkV
Scooby Regular

Default STI

Originally Posted by jumbomechanic
Hi guys,
But this time I've decided to go for an early Sti (my mate imports them!) ......................

Only problem is, I don't really know what the difference is between a WRX Sti v2, v3 and v4?

Thanks guys!
Hi
just purchased STI which was imported new in 1998 one owner - it is a version 4 pre faclift. ( as others on here have told me ). I am a newbie so no expert - but I think it is a great car - engaging drive , turbo kicks in and it goes like sh** off a shovel. Supposed to be 280bhp out the box? might be wrong as I say no expert - all I know is hat after a month I am still smiling everytime i get behind the wheel!

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 22 July 2005, 11:32 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jumbomechanic
Hi guys,

Thanks guys!
You're rubbish... You couldn't even last 2 weeks !!!
Old 22 July 2005, 02:04 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I wondered how long you'd last Lee (I've got my RB5 now by the way!).

Go for an STi5 mate - as you've got a couple of little one's, you'll probably want the 4-door, which go for less money than the Type R. You could also get the Cool Grey colour too (Jap equivalent of the RB5 Steel Blue )

Good luck withe the search though.

Andy
Old 23 July 2005, 10:31 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

I know - 2 weeks and I want another one!!!

But I'm totally confused now.................................
Firstly I'm told I wont be able to register most v3's or a v4 'cos of no model report - and now MarkV has just said he has just bought a V4 no problem???? My mate that imports them has also told me that he has imported over 20 v3's without a problem.

I'm very confused!?!?

Also, there is another thread about a guy selling his V5 on ebay but people are saying that he won't be able to get a model report for it???

Is there any definitive answers???!!!! What will I be able to buy and drive without a problem???
Old 23 July 2005, 01:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im definately right; I import cars from Japan myself. The change came about just over a year ago when a loophole that we used to register cars (without Model Reports) was closed. Some people refer to this as a change in the law but thats not true, the law the remains the same, but we've been forced to comply with it.

I assume that your friend imported the post 311296 Imprezas before the disabled loophole was closed, if not then he will be referring to vehicles for which a Model Report is available. The restriction is on registering, not importing, by the way.

Simon
Old 23 July 2005, 04:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just buy one that was registered before the new rules came in, problem solved!
Old 23 July 2005, 04:46 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I have the STi 2 and I'm smitten with it. A real hard ride and very responsive A couple of the dorset lads have driven her so could comment about it
Old 23 July 2005, 05:56 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Have a look at www.wrx.co.uk, they have the differences between all the classic version STi's. If I was buying an import, it would have to either have full Japanese documented history, which many of them do, or ideally be imported from new, brand new, then you know the FULL history of the car. I would think that is a hugely important factor when considering buying a very high powered car, where has it been? how many owners? has it been raced? drifted? wrecked? You need to know that stuff! Never buy a car 'just because it does 0-60 in 4 point something seconds'
Old 24 July 2005, 12:39 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help guys.....just a few more questions!!!...........

So am I right in saying that if a car has been registered in Japan (ie owned by someone), then I am ok to buy it from a Japanese auction, import it to the uk, and register it in my name regardless of whether it has a model report for it or not???

So, if this is true, could I import a pre-owned v4 from Japan even if a model report is not available for it in the uk?

PS. am I being really thick here not getting it straight away!!???
Old 24 July 2005, 12:53 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Firstly; virtually all Japanese cars dont have a service history. Ive explained why at great length that many times that I really cant be arsed to type for 15 minutes again.

You can buy whatever you like from auction and import it, but you can only register it (assuming it was manufactured after 311296) if there is a Model Report available, it has nothing to do with the cars status in Japan. The 'already registered' cars referred to by someone, are cars imported and registered here before the loophole that we used was closed. You certainly arent being thick, theres no reason why you should know how it works and on top of that youve got to try to seperate the good advice from the prolific ScoobyNet bull****.

Simon
Old 24 July 2005, 01:23 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see said the blind man to his deaf dog!!!

Thanks very much for that GC8, I think I understand now!!
Old 24 July 2005, 01:56 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Your message box is full; I'll copy the reply here or itll be lost:

In theory it isnt difficult; the MoT create and hold the reports so they know whats available (the actual report is confidential and never leaves the MoT). If you had one made youd own it and they ask if you would like to make it available to rent; some people choose not to, to protect their commercial advantage, others are happy to accept the competition for say, £500 a rental (this means that a report for a particular model may exist but it mightnt be available to hire). Anyway, when you ask the Ministry youre likely to be directed to a ****e website of theirs that has very few of the available reports listed. If you persist you should be able to get a full list but I dont know how much work it will take.

If you spend a while on Google youll come across the odd few, the only 'decent' company with a large number is www.modelreports.com

Simon
Old 24 July 2005, 10:54 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Simon!

So from what you've said before and what you have imported yourself, am I correct in thinking that if I import a v3 sti first registered in Japan before 31/12/96, I will have no problem? But if I import a v3 that was first registered in Japan after this date, there is no model report available for an sti v3, so I wont be able to get it registered here?!

Please excuse all the questions, but my mate isn't the most reliable of people for info!!! So I dont want to take any chances and end up importing a car that I cant register!!!
Old 24 July 2005, 04:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its the date of manufacture that counts, not the date of registration. This can mean that a '97' Impreza can actually turn out to be registerable buts its a gamble. Theoretically MY97 cars were available from September 1996 but they seem to be few and far between; theyre also going to sell for stronger money as British auction buyers will be keen to aquire them...

Simon