Sponsored by:

Am I just unlucky?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 08:13 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I just unlucky?

Seems i'm not destined to have an easy life with my 1st Impreza........

Had the Impreza 10 days and clutch is slipping, told the garage where I got it from (came with 3 month warranty), and they agree to pay for new clutch.

Before clutch arrives, strange noise from clutch/gearbox area, 2nd gear knocking like mad, clicking noises when you let clutch out!

Oh dear, I thought, phones AA, they don't know and tow it to subaru dealers (Robinsons of Rochdale), this is on wednesday and dealers can't promise anything until next monday!

Thursday, phonecall from dealers, looked at car on ramps - sounds like serious gearbox damage, nut loose and possible new gears needed! Bill looks to be 6 hours labour + parts + VAT (Plus 4 hours labour for new clutch fitting).

Not had the car 2 weeks, all seemed fine when I first got it, anyway, my question is, will this gearbox damage be covered by my 3 month warranty?

I've been in touch with the garage I got it from and they said they'll check the warranty details but i've not heard anything back and couldn't get through today, just answerphone all day.

Disillusioned with the whole Impreza ownership thing at the moment, also getting all the "told you so" from the missus! Could be facing a £800+ bill....

Disappointed Dave

Forgot to add car is MY00 classic turbo, 59,000 miles FSH, just had 60K service at main dealer!

Last edited by Smurftech; 21 July 2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 21 July 2005, 08:17 PM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 21 July 2005, 08:19 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nich B
Yes
Yes i'm unlucky or Yes damage will be covered by warranty? (or both)
Old 21 July 2005, 08:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Id say it was covered. If the worst comes to it the car wasnt fit for the purpose it was sold for

Robinsons have a fairly good rep anyway so you wont be shafted.
Old 21 July 2005, 08:25 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Id say it was covered. If the worst comes to it the car wasnt fit for the purpose it was sold for

Robinsons have a fairly good rep anyway so you wont be shafted.
I'm happy with the feedback and info from Robinsons,they've been very helpful, just wish I could have got hold of the supplying garage today, will be trying again tomorrow.
Old 21 July 2005, 08:26 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

No - you're ugly too
Old 21 July 2005, 08:28 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
No - you're ugly too
Not my day, unlucky and ugly (and full of a cold)

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2005, 08:38 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smurftech
Not my day, unlucky and ugly (and full of a cold)
Hope you get your motor sorted soon.

Just be careful you don't fall in any buckets of t*ts cos by the sounds of your day you'll come out sucking your thumb.

Phil.
Old 21 July 2005, 09:57 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Phil555
Hope you get your motor sorted soon.

Just be careful you don't fall in any buckets of t*ts cos by the sounds of your day you'll come out sucking your thumb.

Phil.
I thought it was a **** he'd come out sucking ?
Old 25 July 2005, 03:28 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Red face

UPDATE:

Gearbox fux0red, 2nd gear, 3 teeth missing, needs new parts and complete stripdown and rebuild.........estimate £1400.................

Needless to say they're talking to the garage I got the car from about a replacement gearbox, which would no doubt be cheaper............probably get a 6 speed for that price!

Had scooby for 15 days now, spent last 6 days at the subaru dealers!
Old 25 July 2005, 03:59 PM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

UPDATE:

Gearbox fux0red, 2nd gear, 3 teeth missing, needs new parts and complete stripdown and rebuild.........estimate £1400.................

Needless to say they're talking to the garage I got the car from about a replacement gearbox, which would no doubt be cheaper............probably get a 6 speed for that price!

Had scooby for 15 days now, spent last 6 days at the subaru dealers!
Bit rubbish like, but once its all sorted at least you know the car has a new box and clutch, and it shouldnt cost you a penny. The garage has responcibility under the 'Sales of goods' act.

Ste h
Old 25 July 2005, 04:03 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Hopefully won't cost me anything, just pissed at being without the car for 6 days now and no solution in sight!
Old 25 July 2005, 04:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Learn the lesson that a colour means nothing, mechanical sympathy from the previous owners means everything you should have bought Gary's X reg DBM car as most of the LADS know Gary and his car was pampered

Tony
Old 25 July 2005, 04:16 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Learn the lesson that a colour means nothing, mechanical sympathy from the previous owners means everything you should have bought Gary's X reg DBM car as most of the LADS know Gary and his car was pampered

Tony
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, thought I would be OK with Full Subaru service history and all the usual checks, car drove really well until 2nd gear went crunch and that happened in slow moving traffic!

(Actually, Robinsons said it was probably due to the way it was driven in the past.............).

I am grinning and bearing it !!!

If anything else goes wrong then its sayonara subaru!!!! :-(
Old 25 July 2005, 04:22 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I just hope they dont feed you the "warrenty does not cover parts that suffer everyday wear and tear" line.

good luck
Old 25 July 2005, 04:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, thought I would be OK with Full Subaru service history and all the usual checks, car drove really well until 2nd gear went crunch and that happened in slow moving traffic!

(Actually, Robinsons said it was probably due to the way it was driven in the past.............).

I am grinning and bearing it !!!

If anything else goes wrong then its sayonara subaru!!!! :-(
You've just got unlucky mate. The garage should pay for this as the warranty should cover the work.

It's very likely that the damage was caused by a prev owner being brutal with the car. The down side of the tremendous grip and traction of the 4WD set up (i.e. no wheelspin) is that there is no where for the power to go other than to the road which is hard on the transmission. Throw in one owner with a penchant for dumping the clutch and sonner or later......bang goes the clutch and/or the gearbox!

Hope it's sorted soon!

NS04
Old 26 July 2005, 12:06 AM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Dave. Just bad luck I guess.
Hopefully it will all be sorted soon and then you will have no worries at all with a new clutch and box!
Dont get downhearted with the whole Impreza ownership thingy just yet though, the garage should sort it all out under warranty. The worst bit is probably the mrs saying I told you so!

Daz
Old 12 August 2005, 08:16 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

UPDATE:

Got the car back today with new gearbox and clutch!!! Garage paid for it all cost them £1500.......

Smiling already, only had it back 2 hours - didn't realise cars could make you smile so much!

Running fine - even seems to pick up quicker than before! (probably coz the old clutch was totally fux0red according to the dealers).

Not getiing rid of it just yet methinks........

In the 3 weeks its been at the dealers, i've been driving a Focus 1.8 tdci and a disco td5 (auto), getting in the scooby after the disco is just ridiculous! I must be 6 feet closer to the ground and the scooby feels really tight and planted compared to the other cars (obviously)

The focus pulled Ok(ish) low down but ran out of guts before 4000rpm and the disco was just a joke - can't remember being in a slower car (although it really does make you think you're king of the road, feels like you're sitting in the top of a bus driving one of those!

Give me a scooby anyday!

Last edited by Smurftech; 12 August 2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:30 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear everythings gone well for you, im only in the 2nd week of driving my scoob myself and am loving it (done 2500miles so far )

Graeme