new import servicing

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 07:09 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new import servicing

Hi,
I have a 05 cyprus wrx from alliance and am confused over servicing. I have done a search and found some info but I need a definative answer.

The service book list a 1600km, 5000km and a 15000km service. The 15000km is straight forward as its the same as a uk 10000m service. But which one of the other two do you need or is it both? neither list any items to inspect or replace? The dealer is not much help as they say to do an oil change at both the first services??? even though nothing is specified in the service list.

Does anyone have written (email or letter) confirmation of the requirements to keep the warranty valid regarding servicing direct from a cypriot dealer? I.M can't help either, phoned them and they dont know.

I can't get any response from cyprus either, anyone know a contact email or phone number for them??

Thanks for any help

FGN
Old 20 July 2005, 07:41 PM
bazzaa
Scooby Regular

Hi Try

Subaru cyprus

Nicos C. Kattamis Ltd.
Address: 59, Ayiou Nicolaou, Engomi, Nicosia
Phone: (357) 22-357171
Fax: (357) 22-355668

Follow servicing to the letter to subaru requirments, cos if a warranty claim arises Subaru Cyprus will ask the UK Subaru dealer if the service book is up to date

Also you car will need a lick of underseal and a set of locking nuts as per UK cars get a lick on arrival at the UK port
Old 21 July 2005, 04:57 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

I have a similar car I believe that the cyprus dealer confirms that the 5000km service is just an inspection (no oil change needed though I don't suppose it would hurt to do one if you want to) the 1600km is not for a wrx model

Originally Posted by fgn
Hi,
I have a 05 cyprus wrx from alliance and am confused over servicing. I have done a search and found some info but I need a definative answer.

The service book list a 1600km, 5000km and a 15000km service. The 15000km is straight forward as its the same as a uk 10000m service. But which one of the other two do you need or is it both? neither list any items to inspect or replace? The dealer is not much help as they say to do an oil change at both the first services??? even though nothing is specified in the service list.

Does anyone have written (email or letter) confirmation of the requirements to keep the warranty valid regarding servicing direct from a cypriot dealer? I.M can't help either, phoned them and they dont know.

I can't get any response from cyprus either, anyone know a contact email or phone number for them??

Thanks for any help

FGN
Old 21 July 2005, 05:21 PM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

so will Subaru UK service the import? have they indicated any potential nightmares in doing so? like they do if you mention you are thinking of buying an import to the salesman?
Old 21 July 2005, 07:06 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by asclark101
so will Subaru UK service the import? have they indicated any potential nightmares in doing so? like they do if you mention you are thinking of buying an import to the salesman?
You shouldn't have any difficulty if you register with IM. If you do find a dealer that still won't service then go to another as there are plenty falling over themselves for the business..!
Old 21 July 2005, 08:58 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far.

my situation is, I was advised to do a 1000 mile oil change which I have done, now dealer says it needs a 5000km service, but what for??
another dealer says it needs nothing until 15000km, just want the right stamps in the book.though

all dealers are happy to service or say I can use any vat registered garage as long as subaru parts are used.

It seems also that different service books show different inspections.

also if no oil change until 15000km what happens to the running in oil myth!!!

Confused
FGN
Old 21 July 2005, 09:11 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably best to get a photocopy of someone's uk wrx service book. The page outlines what is inspected or replaced at each service. Servicing at 1k, 10k, 20k, 30k (miles that is) or annually whichever is sooner. Its the same car after all. A good independent will then probably charge you less and give a much better service. I've just been to API for my '03 wrx 30k service and the car got vip treatment.

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2005, 09:13 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

It definitely needs a service at 1000 miles it is mandatory. The 3000 mile service is recommended the 9000 mile service is again Mandatory. I have just got my service booklet from Malta and this is detailed within.
Old 21 July 2005, 09:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to the different climate in cyprus (hot and dusty during the summer, torrential rain and thunderstorms during winter, but this applies mainly to the hot/dusty part) your car will need servicing due to the climate, if of course you wish to retain the warranty, they may actually require you to have an oil change due to the adverse temps in cyprus (sometimes can reach 120+! ) and as this car isnt covered by IM in terms of warranty, but Subaru in Cyprus, you are required to conform to their servicing requirements, even if your car is now in a different climate as they cover any claims, not IM.

Tony
Old 21 July 2005, 09:30 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see the above makes sense. This is a pitfall of a European car I suppose if you have to look to Cyprus or Malta for any warranty issues. How does it work with Jap cars?
Old 21 July 2005, 09:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Oh and id also look at that 5k service, you may find thats every 5k and not just the 1 5k km

Tony
Old 21 July 2005, 09:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I can see the above makes sense. This is a pitfall of a European car I suppose if you have to look to Cyprus or Malta for any warranty issues. How does it work with Jap cars?
It doesnt work with jap cars unfortunately, you can get a 3rd party warranty, but most of the time they are pretty useless
The warranty is only covered in the EU on EU sourced cars as its Pan European.

Tony
Old 21 July 2005, 10:11 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Subaru Warranty Administration,
Subaru UK
Ryder Street,
West Bromwich,
West Midlands
B70 0EJ

Dear Sir/ Madam

New Impreza WRX Registration xxxxx xxx (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

I note that you ask for the original sales invoice from the country of origin. I bought the car new in the UK in Pounds Stlg and I enclose

1. Copy of the original sales receipt.
2. Copy of the service manual indicating the PDI was carried out in an EU Member state, presumably where it was shipped to from the manufacturer.

3. Copy of the EU certificate of conformity validating the VIN.
4. Copy sales invoice from the supplier in Holland to Supplier in the UK

If there is any additional information you require please do not hesitate to contact me.

The service schedule is printed in the Service and Warranty booklet I trust that this is the one to follow:
5000km (3,105) miles) 3 months
15,000km (9,315 miles) 12months
30,000km (18,630 miles) 24 months etc

Please can you inform me that my Warranty is registered and will be valid in the UK?

Thank you for your kind help

Yours sincerely
Old 22 July 2005, 12:12 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Hears a post I posted a few months ago (PS My car is booked in at local dealer (Carstins) for a service including oil change at 3000 miles on monday)

" Subaru Cyprus
Have spent the week faxing Cyprus regarding the service intervals/warranty etc.

My 1st fax said:

I have recently purchased the above car from Alliance Car Imports here in the UK, and have received a service and warranty booklet from yourselves for the car.

As the car is based in the UK, I would be grateful if you could confirm the maintenance schedule that should be followed in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

The owner’s manual supplied with the car shows no work is required at 1600km (1000 miles) or at 5000km (3000 miles) as attached. The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 month or 15000km (9000 mile) service and then at 12 month/15000km intervals.

UK supplied cars from Subaru UK have a first service at 1000 miles and then at 12 months or 10000 mile intervals.

Please can you confirm either by return fax or e-mail to the address below the maintenance schedule that you require me to follow in order for my 3 year warranty with yourselves for the car to be valid.

First reply states:

"Our service requirement are based on the directions of Fuji Heavy Industries, manufacturer of SUBARU vehicles. The warranty with all cars sold in Cyprus requires that the customer complies with these requirements.

Thus in order for your warranty to be valid you must comply with the requirements in your service and warranty booklet, irrespective of regulations in the UK."

I then asked:

I am happy to follow the requirements in my service and warranty booklet in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

Please can you confirm either by fax or e-mail what (if any) work is to be carried out at the 1600KM and 5000KM services as the owners handbook supplied with the car shows no work is required. Is this correct for a Impreza WRX ??

The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 Months or 15000KM (9000mile) service.

Second reply states:

" As indicated in your service booklet (not the owners manual), the 1,600km service applies only to Vivio & E12 models, not Impreza.

The 5000km service is a routine inspection/tuning service without replacement parts."

I am therfore thinking of taking my car in at 3000miles (5000Km) and getting an oil change and a routine inspection and my book stamped. (ie same as uk 1000mile service)

Any comments ???"
Old 22 July 2005, 02:22 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
Hears a post I posted a few months ago (PS My car is booked in at local dealer (Carstins) for a service including oil change at 3000 miles on monday)

" Subaru Cyprus
Have spent the week faxing Cyprus regarding the service intervals/warranty etc.

My 1st fax said:

I have recently purchased the above car from Alliance Car Imports here in the UK, and have received a service and warranty booklet from yourselves for the car.

As the car is based in the UK, I would be grateful if you could confirm the maintenance schedule that should be followed in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

The owner’s manual supplied with the car shows no work is required at 1600km (1000 miles) or at 5000km (3000 miles) as attached. The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 month or 15000km (9000 mile) service and then at 12 month/15000km intervals.

UK supplied cars from Subaru UK have a first service at 1000 miles and then at 12 months or 10000 mile intervals.

Please can you confirm either by return fax or e-mail to the address below the maintenance schedule that you require me to follow in order for my 3 year warranty with yourselves for the car to be valid.

First reply states:

"Our service requirement are based on the directions of Fuji Heavy Industries, manufacturer of SUBARU vehicles. The warranty with all cars sold in Cyprus requires that the customer complies with these requirements.

Thus in order for your warranty to be valid you must comply with the requirements in your service and warranty booklet, irrespective of regulations in the UK."

I then asked:

I am happy to follow the requirements in my service and warranty booklet in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

Please can you confirm either by fax or e-mail what (if any) work is to be carried out at the 1600KM and 5000KM services as the owners handbook supplied with the car shows no work is required. Is this correct for a Impreza WRX ??

The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 Months or 15000KM (9000mile) service.

Second reply states:

" As indicated in your service booklet (not the owners manual), the 1,600km service applies only to Vivio & E12 models, not Impreza.

The 5000km service is a routine inspection/tuning service without replacement parts."

I am therfore thinking of taking my car in at 3000miles (5000Km) and getting an oil change and a routine inspection and my book stamped. (ie same as uk 1000mile service)

Any comments ???"
Thanks for this, just the info I wanted. I have just received an email from Cyprus stating the same thing, the 1600km is not applicable and the 5000km is a general inspection with no replacement parts. The 5000km does not include an oil change but agree it makes sense (I had mine done at a 1000m anyway).

Just as a side line, with my car the service book is dated 11/04 although the car was not registered in the uk until 3/05 therefore I guess the 12mth service needs to be in november this year.

Cheers for the post

FGN
Old 23 July 2005, 10:12 AM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Just had my 3000 mile service done this week. Oil & filter change and inspection. For what it costs, im more than happy to get it done, and its not as if its doing any harm.
Old 23 July 2005, 11:37 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

I thought 5000K was = to 4125 miles?
How much did they charge as mine will need doing soon.

Originally Posted by KeithRS
Just had my 3000 mile service done this week. Oil & filter change and inspection. For what it costs, im more than happy to get it done, and its not as if its doing any harm.
Old 24 July 2005, 10:06 AM
patkin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
I thought 5000K was = to 4125 miles?
How much did they charge as mine will need doing soon.
HOWY if yours is a Malta car like mine read the small print the mandatory services are 1000, 9000 miles the others are recommended for extreme conditions
Old 24 July 2005, 11:43 AM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Local Subaru garage 5 min walk from the office, done it for 90 sheets.

It is a vauxhall dealership that has taken over another local subaru dealership that unfortunately closed down. I say unfortunately, but in actual fact, all the trained subaru staff and prodrive engineers have been kept on, and have moved to the garage nerer my place of work, so its actually a bonus for me.

They faffed about when i was trying to get a quote for the service, saying that due to it being an import, they would have to check up with Liaco i guess and check what work was required. But managed to get it all sorted in the end.

When i first collected my car, i did not recieve a service manual with it, and therefore had to write to Liaco (selling Maltese dealer) for one to be sent, which they did with no problems. There is a section which referes to harsh conditions and that the car should be serviced at more frequent intervals, but nowhere does this link to the unshaded boxes that represent the 3000 mile service. the service guide i recieved also declares its intervals in miles only. Not a sniff of the word kilometer, and does specifically state 3000 mile for the second service.

Unless you have written confirmation from the original selling dealer, in my case Liaco regarding a relaxation on the stated service intervals, then i strongly recommend you service it as per the guide. Advice from uk subaru dealerships on this matter are pretty much worthless, as ultimately, its would be the foreign dealership that decides on whether or not the warranty would remain valid.

Hope you get it sorted, either way.
Old 24 July 2005, 01:37 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=KeithRS]
When i first collected my car, i did not recieve a service manual with it, and therefore had to write to Liaco (selling Maltese dealer) for one to be sent, which they did with no problems. There is a section which referes to harsh conditions and that the car should be serviced at more frequent intervals, but nowhere does this link to the unshaded boxes that represent the 3000 mile service. the service guide i recieved also declares its intervals in miles only. Not a sniff of the word kilometer, and does specifically state 3000 mile for the second service.

QUOTE]

All good stuff but please note : In your malta service book go to page 16 where the dealers stamp your service and overleaf through to 28,000 miles or 36 months ie end of warranty period, you will note that for every service 1000, 9000, 19000 and 28000 miles intervals it is shaded there is also an asterisk after the number of the service ie 1, 3, 5 and 7. Now look at the bottom of those pages 16 and 17 read the word Mandatory which implies that the intermediates are not mandatory. make your own mind up......

PS I have sent an email to Matla for advice and will update you when answered

Last edited by patkin; 24 July 2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 25 July 2005, 06:20 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

For all those who doubted my interpretation of the servicing, this is the official reply word for word from Liaco which 100% confirms my own understanding of the MALTESE car position

Dear Sir,

Thank your for your Email,

In order to maintain a valid warranty you must follow the guidelines set in
our Warranty & Service booklet. You will notice that the booklet indicates
shorter service intervals because it takes into account the Maltese
geographic region & climate with typical short trips, which is why the
booklet suggests earlier service intervals.

However it is worth noting that only the grey shaded slots are mandatory
(IE: Service 1,3,5,7 etc..), whereas the NON-Shaded are optional or required
depending on the car's usage (E.g.: If you use your car under severe
conditions, towing, weather,etc). Under normal driving and road conditions
in the UK you will be just fine to service the car at least every year or
every 9,500/10,000 miles which ever occurs first.

Hope the above answers your query, should we be of any further assistance
please contact us again.

May we take this opportunity to wish you many years of enjoyable
trouble-free motoring with your new car.

Best Regards,
AfterSales Department

Liaco Limited
Lia Building, Mosta Road, Lija BZN09 MALTA
TEL: (+356) 2141 8111
FAX: (+356) 2141 8589 Or E-FAX (+356) 2143 2116
Old 26 July 2005, 01:00 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

No its a Cyprus one. Obviously slightly different service requiremnts. Will follow the schedule outlined in WRXSeekers post above.

Though am curious to see what my local dealers do and charge when I take it in to service.

Originally Posted by patkin
HOWY if yours is a Malta car like mine read the small print the mandatory services are 1000, 9000 miles the others are recommended for extreme conditions
Old 26 July 2005, 09:02 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Default Service

Had my 3000 mile service yesterday (at Carstins). Cost £115. Car was cleaned and polished by the look of it aswell !!

Very Happy and they even fixed the MY05 rear window rattle problem while it was there !!

They have recommended that I now go for an annual/9000 mile service schedule from now on.