Sponsored by:

Ive wrote my Subaru off in Sheffield

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 11:20 AM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive wrote my Subaru off in Sheffield

Cant believe it, I wrote my Subaru off last night on a notoriuos fatal accident site.

I cant believe im still alive, crashed doing 60-70 span the car in the air about 4 times and landed upside down, came out unhurt for some strange reason. It really makes you think,

The worst thing about it? I was only 3rd party :'(
Old 20 July 2005, 11:23 AM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Im glad to hear you are still here with us

Sorry that you no longer have your scooby though
Old 20 July 2005, 11:26 AM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy99turbo
Im glad to hear you are still here with us

Sorry that you no longer have your scooby though
yep, looks like ill be signing up with cheapcrappyfordfiestanet.co.uk now as I cant afford another one just yet lol

Old 20 July 2005, 11:28 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tyrone Melody
, crashed doing 60-70 span the car in the air about 4 times and landed upside down, (
That would do it.
Old 20 July 2005, 11:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Cant believe it, I wrote my Subaru off last night on a notoriuos fatal accident site.

I cant believe im still alive, crashed doing 60-70 span the car in the air about 4 times and landed upside down, came out unhurt for some strange reason. It really makes you think,

Glad to hear you're ok, Tough old cars, Scoobies.

Eeek regarding the insurance, why 3rd party only? Most companies I know of simply refused to cover 3rd party only.

You live and learn, at least no-one was hurt, thats the important thing!

NS04
Old 20 July 2005, 11:44 AM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Glad to hear you're ok, Tough old cars, Scoobies.

Eeek regarding the insurance, why 3rd party only? Most companies I know of simply refused to cover 3rd party only.

You live and learn, at least no-one was hurt, thats the important thing!

NS04
Well 3rd party fire and theft it was, but still. I was on TPFT for financial difficulty reasons, it was only meant to be temporary until I got myself off the ground again, little did I know what was around the corner.

I tell you, my life flashed before my eyes. The car lost control, I tried to gain control again but it just wasnt happening. Soon as I knew what was going to happen I just closed my eyes and braced for impact. According to witnesses I flew 8 foot in the air and span round a couple of times before landing wrong side up. I didnt feel a thing. Glad I had my eyes closed.
Old 20 July 2005, 11:50 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Where about's in sheffield matey?

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2005, 12:00 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

I'm glad your ok, and I hope no-one else was hurt / involved

. According to witnesses I flew 8 foot in the air and span round a couple of times before landing wrong side up. I didnt feel a thing. Glad I had my eyes closed.
Now for the reality bit; I don't know you, and you've chose to post on an open forum. but I think your a fool.
60-70 mph, I doubt that judging by the description of events, and you admit it was a notoriously dangerous piece of road!
The fact that there were witnesses implies that the area was not clear, and you are probably very lucky to not be up on a causing-death-by-dangerous-driving charge.
I think some of the threads about younger drivers (your 25 according to your profile) might be correct, and because of the relative cheapness of imprezas they are falling into the hands of idiots. You say yourself that you can't afford to insure it; so it can't have been that expensive in the first place.
I hope you take a long hard look at your driving and the xperience gained from this event.

PS. keep us informed , and let us know if a dangerous or careless driving charge follows.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:07 PM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Where about's in sheffield matey?
It was on Penistone Road North Grenoside

And no I wasnt driving carelessly, the road that I crashed on is national speed limit.

Im not from Sheffield so dont know the roads that well, I cant really be bothered to go into full detail, but trust me when I say i was not driving carelssly. The events that I have described where from what the witness told me, I dont know if it was accurate or over exagerated as I had my eyes closed.

as for the insurance, well it literally just went to TPFT and 'was' planning to sell the car to get something cheaper for a while. Its not like Ive had the car for years and have been on TPFT all that time, it werent like that. And im not exactly young either, Ive been driving for as long s I can remember.

I was told by the coppers that it is a notoriosly dangerous site. I didnt know that until after. Im not making excuses, just telling it like it is,
Old 20 July 2005, 12:18 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Have you noticed the language;

"The car lost control" -I lost control of the car.

"The road is National Speed limit" -Therefore I will drive at the limit regardless of conditions.

It doesn't mean that every corner on it can be taken at 60 or greater.

"I don't know the road that well" -But I am fit to drive it at the NSL regardless, without being accused of carelessness.

Old 20 July 2005, 12:19 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Out of interest what was your car?

Glad you are OK and hope you get things sorted out and that the police don't start to take an interest.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:24 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

And no I wasnt driving carelessly, the road that I crashed on is national speed limit.
Im not from Sheffield so dont know the roads that well, I cant really be bothered to go into full detail, but trust me when I say i was not driving carelssly. The events that I have described where from what the witness told me, I dont know if it was accurate or over exagerated as I had my eyes closed.
.... And im not exactly young either, Ive been driving for as long s I can remember.
I was told by the coppers that it is a notoriosly dangerous site. I didnt know that until after. Im not making excuses, just telling it like it is,
I've contributed my tuppence worth, and my opinion hasn't changed. If you hadn't been driving carelessly you wouldn't have crashed; were any outside agencies involved or mechanical failure?
Your profile gives your location as Sheffield / Birmingham I deduced from this it was an area you drove regularly.
If your 25 you've been driving, legally, for 8 years max, and if you haven't had the car long are you familier with it's abilities?

I drove like a tw.t when I was younger, had a few accidents and learnt alot from it. I don't want to rip into you, you just need to learn from your mistakes, like I did. I hope it all goes well for you from here.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:25 PM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

It was only a Sport, not a Turbo or anything.

And yes Bubba po lol, I know, Ive said im not making excuses. theres never an excuse for a crash imo, but these things happen, im glad it did in a way as it has certainly got me thinking. It can happen to anyone at any time.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What ever the reason for the crash, the main thing is your unhurt, and more importantly, no one else was hurt. Having a crash all on your own is bad enough, but hurting some innocent person is a lot lot worse.

Any Pics ?
Old 20 July 2005, 12:29 PM
Tyrone Melody
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rioja
I've contributed my tuppence worth, and my opinion hasn't changed. If you hadn't been driving carelessly you wouldn't have crashed; were any outside agencies involved or mechanical failure?
Your profile gives your location as Sheffield / Birmingham I deduced from this it was an area you drove regularly.
If your 25 you've been driving, legally, for 8 years max, and if you haven't had the car long are you familier with it's abilities?

I drove like a tw.t when I was younger, had a few accidents and learnt alot from it. I don't want to rip into you, you just need to learn from your mistakes, like I did. I hope it all goes well for you from here.
No i appreciate your critisisms and take it all on bored.
well it all happened so fast, I "think" that i was clipped from the back, but I cant be sure, All i saw was bright headlights behind me. But wether or not I was I dont care as I am my own driver and should be able to look after myself which I clearly didnt, and I have had a long hard think. And I agree in most of what you are saying.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:35 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Ooh! I'm guessing there is some judgements being made about the driver here! Let's give the lad the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Have you noticed the language;

"The car lost control" -I lost control of the car.

Are you saying you gave never ever reached a point on the road and thought oops! I'm going too quick and need to scrub speed off quickly or else I'm in trouble?

"The road is National Speed limit" -Therefore I will drive at the limit regardless of conditions.

It doesn't mean that every corner on it can be taken at 60 or greater.

Whilst I don't condone anyone who simply drives at 60mph or above everywhere the national speed limit applies you must also think that the authorities believed the road safe enough to warrant such a limit - otherwise they would have put a speed reduction in place?

"I don't know the road that well" -But I am fit to drive it at the NSL regardless, without being accused of carelessness.

Are you saying that you always drive at say 10mph below the required speed limit just to allow for occasions such as this?

I'm in my mid-forties and seen enough young lads driving without due care and attention but that does not mean that I immediately assume every youngster with a fast car drives like a lunatic. Frankly some of the worst scobby driving I've seen has been from middle-agers like myself and frankly their reaction times are likely to be slower than a twenty-something!!!
Old 20 July 2005, 12:38 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

rioja -what is the point in your posts.

if he had done something silly dont u think he would have learnt his lesson by now.

ps sorry to ere about your loss bud if i had done something like that i would cry
Old 20 July 2005, 12:48 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awd Chaddy
Ooh! I'm guessing there is some judgements being made about the driver here! Let's give the lad the benefit of the doubt.
In this situation there has to be judgement. An accident has occured and mistakes must have been made. To say. 'there, there; glad your ok, better luck next time.' is rubbish. Instead; go away, seriously consider your actions, and learn well from them. Imagine what consiquences could have happened, and what position that would now put you in; possibly prison! Then bring that to mind the next time you try to push it 101%
Old 20 July 2005, 12:51 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Craig
rioja -what is the point in your posts.

if he had done something silly dont u think he would have learnt his lesson by now.
From the tone of the original post, no. The final line summed it up that he only seemed worried about the uninsured loss.

subsiquent posts in the thread have established that he has thought about his actions.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:08 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

i Know the spot you are talking about
I take it you was heading north away from sheffield?,through the overhead tree section,and into a sharp lefthander with an uneven camber sign

lot's and i mean lot's of driver's have lost control of their motor's on that stretch of road,just happy no-one was hurt,and just remember,the car is replaceable,your life aint chin up fella
Old 20 July 2005, 01:18 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

In this situation there has to be judgement. An accident has occured and mistakes must have been made. To say. 'there, there; glad your ok, better luck next time.' is rubbish. Instead; go away, seriously consider your actions, and learn well from them. Imagine what consiquences could have happened, and what position that would now put you in; possibly prison! Then bring that to mind the next time you try to push it 101%
zzzzzzzzzzz.....................this is familiar

You weren't there, you don't know the facts - neither do I and thus I wont comment on the accident other than to offer my sympathy for another dead scoob, but I will comment on the criticisms, as they are generalised and unfair.

I drove like a tw.t when I was younger, had a few accidents and learnt alot from it
So, you had accidents when you were younger? He is only making the same mistakes you did, and mistakes that will continue to be made from here to eternity. Does being older also make you safer? I don't think so, take a drive with my 56 year old dad some time!

It really makes you think
So from the tone of the original email, he is already thinking about his mistake and the fact that it is very lucky NOBODY was injured, including himself. If he had killed or injured someone, I am sure he would have written "the worst thing about it, someone lost their leg in the accident!

As for death by dangerous driving, no - why should he think about it. It didnt happen, but fair point it could have - it could happen to any of us who drive an Impreza unless you potter around like postman pat all the time. Driving fast is not the same as dangerous driving.

At the end of the day, whilst an insurance product such as TPFT is available, people will choose to take it if they are strapped for cash. I personally couldn't give a toss what insurance someone has, so long as it pays out if they damage my vehicle. So why do you have a right to criticise the type of insurance - although you stopped short, I could have sworn you were thinking of typing "CHAV" which again is grossly unfair.

I hope others show you the same lack of empathy and criticism if you are unfortunate enough to have an accident in the future - which of course I hope you dont.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:43 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Come on fellas - I think many are right on here, but while our accident-rpone chum did have a lucky escape, maybe he should have thought before posting comments such as 'I think I was tapped from behind' - when he said people saw the accident I'm pretty sure they would have seen a car tapped from behind. Likewise, the car lost control - why? There is a reason, and whether it was mud/oil on the road, sharp bend taken too fast, inability to control a car at the appropriate speed...

Basically, for someone to post they really should tell us everything, and not things like 60-70mph, when most people will think it was actually 70-80mph, etc etc.

The full information would help otherwise many, including myself, will jump to conclusions that may not be fair...
Old 20 July 2005, 01:55 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

To jbwrx300, I agree with your post 100%; my comments on 'judgement' were a generalisation, young adults will make their own mistakes from here to eternity, I did word my post carefully to avoid the c-word implication, and I do empathise. A crash is not a nice experience for anyone and I'll repeat that I hope it all goes well for Tyrone from here.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:56 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Question

well it all happened so fast, I "think" that i was clipped from the back, but I cant be sure, All i saw was bright headlights behind me.
Care to give us any more information about this? Did the witnesses see this other car?
Old 20 July 2005, 02:12 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Oh I see, and you think you are in a position to judge? Interesting, was he nudged from the back, did he have a 'blow out', hit some oil or just have a mechanical failure? Instead you have immediately assumed the poor old lad was driving too quick [your quote: "Then bring that to mind the next time you try to push it 101%"] Let me make an assumption that you have broken the speed limit in your Scoob? Of course you will tell me that you were always in control of the situation. How many times have I heard that statement before. The fact is, every time we get in the car we take a risk - a risk of making a mistake ourselves or someone else making a mistake which we don't react to quickly enough. Don't be quick to damn someone whose mistake caused a big crash when perhaps we got away with a near miss not through skill but sheer good luck!
Old 20 July 2005, 02:18 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of the accident Tyrone, and ignore all the holier than thou brigade on here.

There are a select few "perfect" individuals on Scoobynet that never make a single mistake in life, always drive well within their means and never break the speed limit or have an accident. They spend their life banging on about it in every thread with the "I told you so/that will teach you/you're too young" posts.

At least you are OK.
Old 20 July 2005, 02:19 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Awd Chaddy
Oh I see, and you think you are in a position to judge? Interesting, was he nudged from the back, did he have a 'blow out', hit some oil or just have a mechanical failure? Instead you have immediately assumed the poor old lad was driving too quick [your quote: "Then bring that to mind the next time you try to push it 101%"] Let me make an assumption that you have broken the speed limit in your Scoob? Of course you will tell me that you were always in control of the situation. How many times have I heard that statement before. The fact is, every time we get in the car we take a risk - a risk of making a mistake ourselves or someone else making a mistake which we don't react to quickly enough. Don't be quick to damn someone whose mistake caused a big crash when perhaps we got away with a near miss not through skill but sheer good luck!

Nods agreement!

Glad your ok, and sorry for the loss of another scooby, rip..in Scooby Heaven!
Old 20 July 2005, 02:21 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

First off, how do you know he was driving at 101%?

Secondly, should we all sell our cars now and stay indoors just in case, heaven forbid, we make an error of judgement. You must be absolutely perfect to have never made a single mistake in your life.
Old 20 July 2005, 02:48 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

OK, firstly, the post about jugement was a generalisation, but it came accross as personally against Tyrone; sorry.

Secondly, I have made mistakes; ref. earlier post

Thirdly, we are all at liberty to drive however we wish, but there seems to be so many stories of cars in the scenery that unless we learn from these things it's going to be stories of, 'my mate died in a car crash...' that I don't want to read about. Especially about an SN member
Old 20 July 2005, 03:10 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
i Know the spot you are talking about
I take it you was heading north away from sheffield?,through the overhead tree section,and into a sharp lefthander with an uneven camber sign

lot's and i mean lot's of driver's have lost control of their motor's on that stretch of road,just happy no-one was hurt,and just remember,the car is replaceable,your life aint chin up fella

don't remember that bit and i go there everyday

is that before speed cams or after,
where there are no houses?

btw sorry to hear about that mate,
i feel for you,
as i written off a xsi in 2001 wasn't as bad as your experience ,
but yours were a gymnast, mine weren't,

glad you're ok

regards william

Quick Reply: Ive wrote my Subaru off in Sheffield