Sponsored by:

Import Vs Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 09:05 AM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import Vs Type UK

I am looking at a MY03-05 STi and there are some good priced ones out there... the most attractively priced being imports.

speaking to Subaru UK (who may be biased!) they say DON'T GET ONE... because of the problems that occur when trying to get the right parts they don't have the right vehicle ids on them to match the UK database - I hear stories of having to wait 6 weeks for the right break pads, trying multiple sets of disks, not being able to match paint etc...

what is the general experience of owners out there - is an import, say from motorpoint.co.uk any more difficult to own that a type UK? are those claims true or is that Subaru UK looking after Subaru UK sales?

cheers all!
Old 20 July 2005, 01:25 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the choice and chance, I would go for a JDM model..... especially if your looking at modding it. If your not modding, I would probably stay with the UK type for warranty reasons.

The JDM is a better car (better engine and base car spec) tbh and is better at taking on board mods.

As regards to spares and maintenance for imports..... there are PLENTY of people and companies you can source any JDM specific bits from if required, it seriously is not the problem it used to be a few years back.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:30 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Import deffo! Reasons: What he said^^^^^
Old 20 July 2005, 01:37 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

I bought a new MY04 STI in September last year.
Without a doubt, if I could go back in time, I'd buy a JDM version.
The JDM model has so much more spec wise; we do get the inferior version over here.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:43 PM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

So spec wise def go for an Import - but what about living with it - any good Import supporters in and around Oxfordshire Buckinghamshire? are there good companies who would be respected by buyers when it comes to sell?

I sometimes get the feeling that the only real problem is with Subaru UK not the owners!

I wish they would just extend their databases at Subaru and offer equal treatment to euro / jap imports - wouldn't that make life easier!

surely Subaru are missing out on a huge service market - which is after all where they make the most money anyway!!!