Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Subaru Impreza STi - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 08:38 AM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Subaru Impreza STi - what do you think?

this is one of the better pictures I have seen of the new STi - I have seen others where it doesn't look too fantastic but this is nice!

what is the general opinion of you scooby lovers? what do people think might happen to the price of the current models when this comes out? is now the right time to try and bag a bargain? or will the price of the current model hold/improve when this one comes out if it is not well recieved?

I am thinking of upgrading from my classic turbo to an MY03-05 STi but don't know whether to wait until this comes out to see if there is a load of current STi's about as current owners upgrade? but if its generally hated...will they?

btw everyone who has already said it - yeah it does look a bit seat/alfa don't it!

cheers all!
Old 20 July 2005, 08:43 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You're the one that's got to live with it - so, if you like it, buy it. If you don't, then don't.

Nobody buys a new car to worry about the exact resale value - if you don't want to lose as much, buy an '03-'04 STI, there are plenty around for silly money. If you want the mechanical (chassis) improvements, get an '05 - I'm fairly sure they're mechanically the same, though a few journalists still talk about the revised LSD and DCCD-A systems. I think they're confused and are comparing it with the '04 car.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:55 AM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Nobody buys a new car to worry about the exact resale value
resale value is a huge consideration - It is the biggest cost of all when you buy any car - subaru owners are better off than most - but I would still hate to spend 17k today to find the same car is 15K for the sake of a few patient months! which will depend on the reaction to the 06 - hence my question.

I like the car but I don't want to through money away!
Old 20 July 2005, 09:17 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

When I say 'new', I mean 'brand new'. A £17k car today might only be worth £15k in a few months, but a £27k car might equally drop to £23k in the same time. If resale value is your concern, buy a used car, not an '06!
Old 20 July 2005, 12:06 PM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

we are getting off the point - my question was more what do people think of the New 06 Impreza? do Scooby fans love or loath it?

what do you think of it?

Last edited by asclark101; 20 July 2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: update the link to the image
Old 20 July 2005, 12:15 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think you will be disappointed going from a classic to an STi at least if you are looking improved handling and performance. I suspect that is part of the reason why you can buy second hand STis for next to nothing, on most real roads your classic will be a more confidence inspiring, predictable drive and it will, therefore, be a faster car which delivers more fun.

Of course the new cars are better built and feel more solid so there are reasons to buy one but you might be better sticking with your classic if you want some fun.
Old 20 July 2005, 12:31 PM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

Its a difficult decision granted - but its also the car I use every day, and I am doing more miles all the time, so although loathed to say it, I want air con a more reliable CD player, few less miles on the clock, a warranty, the ISO fix child seat is now a requirement & I'd like a more comfy seat! if my current car was a weekend/fun car only, I'd keep it!

Its been a very tough look at what is out there when you look to change a car you love - I've tested BMW 325s and 330s, 2.7T audi's, even older 911's nothing comes close to my scooby for the complete package of price, performance, fun and practicality though...

anyway - you lot - what do you think of the new 06 Impreza - gesh does no one listen to the question ;-)

Last edited by asclark101; 20 July 2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistake!

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2005, 12:32 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

so a classic sti handles better than a new age sti...?
Old 20 July 2005, 12:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I like it, if i was in a position to I would order a brand new one
Old 20 July 2005, 12:58 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
so a classic sti handles better than a new age sti...?
My MY99 Uk Turbo was a much better handling car than my new age STi so much so that I took my STi back to the dealer and asked them to look for a "fault." I don't think it is any big secret and I know that others who have run both also take the view that there is a fundamental flaw in the handling of the new age STi.

On any real road, certainly of the type I normally travel with a less than perfect surface, the classic driver will be at least as quick as the STi driver plus he will have fun, the STi driver will just have nerves.
Old 20 July 2005, 01:05 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

My personal preference is for the MY 03/4/5 blobeye.

I think that FHI have made yet another design blunder by apeing the Seat and Alfa front end.

What was the point in updating the 'blob' for the sake of another year before the new model comes out?
Old 20 July 2005, 01:07 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

i like it, its different...but then i like the mk2.(you are correct it is abit alfs'ish)
i think loosing the subaru chrome letters off the back isn't good. but hey i'm nit picking.
Is the 06 or mk4! just a restyle or a fundamental upgrade over the mk 3?
the interior looks the same as the mk3....why does subaru love grey plastic so much!
so if i had the cash and i'm saving hard i would buy it next year
Old 20 July 2005, 01:17 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

I think the new car is an improvement on the outgoing model. The reports I've read also suggest that handling might have been improved (slightly). but I'm not sure that the new look and mechanical tweaks will be enough to make everyone with on 03-05 model to go out and buy the new car. However, prices of the current car are bound to suffer slightly as a result of the change - that's simply a fact of life. So you may be able to pick up a bargain if you time your purchase right?
Old 20 July 2005, 01:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't think the handling difference is nearly as clear-cut as is being made out. My UK classic was a great car, but eventually I did start to curse its tendency toward vagueness and understeer. Whilst it was never anything less than confidence inspiring, I started to wish for a bit more front-end bite and precision.

I now have an '05 STI, JDM spec, with the Type 25 AST adjustable suspension & handling pack. Despite occasionally feeling a mite heavy it handles beautifully - something which every T25 review agrees on. For about £1200 on top of the price of the car, it's a no-brainer.

The '05 car already has the revised torque split and new LSD of the '06, so the major benefit of the new UK model might be the 2.5 litre engine. Thanks to the Euro IV spec, which comes in next year, you can bet that the 2.5 will be tuned for emissions rather than power, though.
Old 20 July 2005, 04:46 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Defo agree it looks a little Seat at the front.

Apparently the '07 car will be more than just another facelift, so may be worth holding out for that.
Old 20 July 2005, 05:02 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

That is hardly a standard UK STi though Andy, being fair. The classic is without doubt a great car and history will probably see it as the affordable performance car of its age. As you say it was a very confidence inspiring car, you could happily put it sideways without any doubt that you could control the situation. If you have the standard new age STi sideways then there is at least a 50% chance you are heading for an accident. I doubt if there are many with the confidence to put their UK STi sideways on a regular basis. Any takers? Mine also understeers but gives no feedback at all as to what is going on at the front end and when the back end lets go the centre diff behaves in a most strange manner which can add to the problem rather than just pull the car straight as would happen in the classic. Changes in road surface or bumps defeat it totally. Now, mine is an early UK STi and I am sure they have had to make changes to try and resolve the problems but I remain of the view that at least on cars the same as mine there is a fundamental problem.

Perhaps under some circumstances the STi might be somewhat quicker than the classic along some roads, I suspect it has more absolute grip for example, but my feeling is that the driver will not be having fun. Hit a few loose stones in the classic and you will catch it, do the same in the STi and you will be through the hedge with no chance of catching it as both chassis and electronics appear to conspire against you.

There are things to commend the STi: the brakes are better than on my classic, though it was a MY99 and so had somewhat better brakes than what went before it. On public roads you are unlikely to run out of brakes in the STi while it was possible to do it in the classic. The STi is also somewhat better built and it can be less harsh on some road surfaces and it always feels like a better car to be in should you have an accident, if there is such a thing.

Now, I own an STi and have kept it for over 2 years now so I'm not saying that it is an awful car but it does, in my view, have a serious handling flaw which undermines driver confidence and which certainly removes all the fun that there was with the standard classic. I certainly couldn't recommend the "keen" driver to buy an STi and the eagerness with which the Prodrive suspension upgrades were awaited by other SN members suggests to me that I am not the only person aware of the problem.
Old 20 July 2005, 06:10 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Apparently the '07 car will be more than just another facelift, so may be worth holding out for that.
Are we talking a completely different car or a revised model of the Impreza. People seem to be getting confused as to whether it's going to be a 'facelift' or a completely new model mildly base on the Impreza.

If you want a car, why wait. The '06 Impreza STi is a surefire winner and like all the others, will be bought and loved by many. I'd be the first to buy one if I could write off the deprecatition without a care in the world.
Old 20 July 2005, 07:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

and id be the last - and i could 'write off' the depreciation tomorrow.
If it is a whole new model youd have to be crazy to buy the 06 - what a total missmash..!!....Am i sounding like a troll..

intresting what you say about a calsssic v new age Hedgehog. I had classic sti not sure i could be bothered with the new age..
Old 20 July 2005, 07:38 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
My MY99 Uk Turbo was a much better handling car than my new age STi so much so that I took my STi back to the dealer and asked them to look for a "fault." I don't think it is any big secret and I know that others who have run both also take the view that there is a fundamental flaw in the handling of the new age STi.

On any real road, certainly of the type I normally travel with a less than perfect surface, the classic driver will be at least as quick as the STi driver plus he will have fun, the STi driver will just have nerves.
If you mean cornering then my MY01 5dr WRX handled better than my MY99 4dr Turbo and my MY04 STI handles significantly better than both. In a straight line the MY99 is as fast as STI and the MY01 - well least said about the runt of the family the better.

The handling of the STI takes getting used to, particularly the front LSD. It feels more figitty than the MY99 but thats what makes it quicker.
Old 20 July 2005, 10:12 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I prefer the look of the 06 to the blobeye. Never did like the front grill with the turned down edges on the blobeye
Old 21 July 2005, 08:35 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
Are we talking a completely different car or a revised model of the Impreza. People seem to be getting confused as to whether it's going to be a 'facelift' or a completely new model mildly base on the Impreza.

If you want a car, why wait. The '06 Impreza STi is a surefire winner and like all the others, will be bought and loved by many. I'd be the first to buy one if I could write off the deprecatition without a care in the world.
As quoted in EVO magazine, 'this is the third new nose for the Impreza since summer 2000 and the last before the third-generation Impreza steps up for duty in 2007.' I suspect this means a similar evolution when the classic became bug-eye.

I was not saying don't buy it, or saying it would be poor. I was simply putting forward the notion that a new generation Impreza might be out the folowing year and folks may want to consider that.
Old 21 July 2005, 09:47 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

I was not saying don't buy it, or saying it would be poor. I was simply putting forward the notion that a new generation Impreza might be out the folowing year and folks may want to consider that.
Hence my earlier comment about the pointlessness of FHI facelifting the current car yet again for its last 12 months of life.....
Old 21 July 2005, 11:41 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

I agree with hedgehog
Old 21 July 2005, 11:49 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Hence my earlier comment about the pointlessness of FHI facelifting the current car yet again for its last 12 months of life.....
Well, I am deeply sorry for expressing an opinion and will try to keep it to myself in future
Old 21 July 2005, 11:52 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well, I am deeply sorry for expressing an opinion and will try to keep it to myself in future
I think you've misunderstood my post mate. I am actually agreeing with you...

The cuckoo smiley is aimed at FHI's stupidity, not your views....
Old 21 July 2005, 01:07 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Getting back to the original post, I bought my MY54 2004 STi just as the 2005 STi was being launched and so got a rather large discount off the selling price. I got it for a couple of hundred quid more than cost price (I saw the invoice that the Subaru garage bought the car for). Therefore I'd expect that you'd get the same kind of discount on the 2005 STi's when the 2006 ones are being launched.
As for the looks, well, like everyone says it's a personal preference thing. I can't decide whether I like it or not so will probably wait to see one in the 'flesh' before I make my mind up.
I also agree that resale value is of great importance, but on saying that if you buy a new car you're always throwing money away. Even with buying my car at vitually cost price I still lost the VAT (Approx £4000) within the first few months.
As far as difference in performance I personally don't think you'll tell a great deal of difference, unless you're on a track. I drove a MY05 STi and couldn't tell any difference from my MY54.
Regarding your comment about trying the BMW's etc. Well in my opinion BMW's are so much a better car in the majority of departments, build quality, luxury etc, but are somehow boring. I had a 330ci Sport and would rather have my Scooby any day of the week (Even with all the rattles).
Cheers, Toby
P.S. When's the 2006 being released anyway?

Last edited by snerkler; 21 July 2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 21 July 2005, 04:46 PM
Major Tom
Scooby Newbie

I have followed this thread with interest, being in the same position as asclark101, A test drive in a 54STI felt boring after my 98 classic, which felt more raw and alive. I thought I was being picky but others obviously feel the same.

Can I clarify, is the 06 a facelift or something more major? A 2.5 lump would be interesting but its the bland nature of the car (in comparison with the classic) that needs to be revised.

I now have 75k on the clock and if this 06 doesn't cut it, I don't think I can wait for the 07 to be released. 100k+ is very bad for resale values. Sadly I will have to look for a replacement elsewhere but I would rather have something completely different than a watered down version of my much loved classic.
Old 22 July 2005, 09:06 AM
asclark101
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by snerkler
P.S. When's the 2006 being released anyway?
Well ask a Subaru salesman and 'they haven't heard anything yet' but ask about and you can expect to place the order and be driving it in November... just what I heard...
Old 22 July 2005, 09:18 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

i like it... i think 6 months after its finally out i would definately consider a 06 sti spec c...
Old 22 July 2005, 09:28 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Personally, I think it looks awful.

The current STi is okay, the bugeye was dreadful, but I'd still take the classic shape if forced to make a choice.

I still think my favourite looking Impreza was the RB5.

Bagpuss.

Quick Reply: 2006 Subaru Impreza STi - what do you think?