Sponsored by:

Going from an MY03 STi to an MY05 PPP Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 02:11 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from an MY03 STi to an MY05 PPP Wagon

I've been starting to find my STi a little bit impracticle (mainly in terms of boot space).

I've been thinking of going for a new wagon with PPP fitted (hopefully not losing too much of the performance I have with the STi).

Anyway, wondered if anyone else had gone down this route and what they thought of driving the wagon after the STi?

Is there much of a difference in the performance, is the mpg better, is the insurance cheaper, etc.?
Old 13 July 2005, 12:55 AM
IFG
Scooby Regular

FB,
I did as you are contemplating. I went from a 2002 Sti (with PPP) to a 2004 wagon with PPP.

1. Reasons

Hatch back provides flexibility of boot space.
Fed up with potholes rattling my teeth
Fed up with chavs in neon novas all over my back end.

2. Findings

Handling of WRX was terrible, suspension was TOO soft. Had the prodrive springs fitted and now have the best of both worlds......... descent handling and I get to keep my fillings.

Straight line speed with PPP probably as quick as the Sti before the Sti had PPP.

Brakes are not as good but adequate.

Chavs don't take much notice of the wagon.

Less attention from the plod.

I can do 150mph with a fridge in the back( or 3 push bikes), if I had the inclination to do so.

Still just as much fun on the twisties.

Overall I'm glad I did. Only change I would contemplate now is a Forrester STi. 280+BHP and even more boot space.

Cheers, Ian.

Originally Posted by FirebirdUK
I've been starting to find my STi a little bit impracticle (mainly in terms of boot space).

I've been thinking of going for a new wagon with PPP fitted (hopefully not losing too much of the performance I have with the STi).

Anyway, wondered if anyone else had gone down this route and what they thought of driving the wagon after the STi?

Is there much of a difference in the performance, is the mpg better, is the insurance cheaper, etc.?
Old 13 July 2005, 11:55 AM
dursley paul
Scooby Regular

i've got an 05 wrx Wagon, and i bl00dy love it...i've had other performance cars (both Jap and German) and the 5dr scoob is the best allrounder by a long way.

If you get the prodrive springs and ppp you'll find it very nearly as good as a non ppp sti (IMHO)

Last edited by dursley paul; 13 July 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 13 July 2005, 01:42 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

04 Wagon without PPP, but with Prodrive springs....... excellent all rounder, with pace if you need it. After owing an MY99 Wagon the newage is not as bullet like, but the gearing seems to go on forever. (On a track, 90mph in 3rd without red-lining is easy)

I did 2 trips to my local dump last weekend after clearing out my garage. Afterwards.... seats back, baby seat in, followed by baby and Mrs.... and off to Tesco for the weekly shop

No way I could of got all that done with a 'saloon'

J.

Last edited by Squadron-Leader; 13 July 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 13 July 2005, 06:53 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Went from an 04 WRX PPP to an 05 STi PPP, WRX was nearly as fast most of the time except under extreme use. Get the Prodrive springs and you'll be very happy with the wagon. Insurance will be less and it won't attract so much unwanted attention from have a go boy racers…
Old 16 July 2005, 01:02 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
Went from an 04 WRX PPP to an 05 STi PPP, WRX was nearly as fast most of the time except under extreme use. Get the Prodrive springs and you'll be very happy with the wagon. Insurance will be less and it won't attract so much unwanted attention from have a go boy racers…
how much are new prodrive springs? and do you need to get your wheel alignment adjusted?