Sponsored by:

Gearbox noise in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 08:18 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox noise in 3rd

MY05 STI PPP (4800 miles done)- when up to temp yesterday 3rd gear was having loads of gear chatter at 3 - 4k RPM. though it was camshaft at first but it was only in 3rd gear so settled on gearbox.

Funny thing is that no noise this morning, I did only travek 5 miles though so not fully warmed up, so it may be an oil thing, either too low or just crap.

Any ideas from any of you ?

PS calling dealer this morning

Last edited by What if ?; 11 July 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11 July 2005, 12:56 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Called dealer - Said as they have no loan car for me to call Subaru assist form them to recover the car and arrange a loan car. Is this normal, seems loads of hassle (i have to go and pick the loan car up too (even though they will tow my car away and leave me stranded !!)
Old 12 July 2005, 08:08 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Subaru assist collected my car last night, I had to watch it being winched up backwards on a flat bed trailer and driven away.......sad day!

Hope to get a call today to tell me what's wrong. Knowing the dealerships these day I expect a NFF (no fault found) as they nearly always say that the first time. You necer know they may supprise me and actually warm the car up properly (as instructed) to hear the noise. Can't help but feel cynical about it all, but I recon that is because they have my car and not me.

Can't fault Subaru assist though, really helpfull and got me sorted with a hire car (to my house, out of working hours) only problem is I have to drive around in a nissan....................soryy it wasn't a 350z, but a primera.......weird car !
Old 12 July 2005, 08:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the gearbox oil? the dipstick is under the intercooler.

Tony
Old 12 July 2005, 01:47 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Did you check the gearbox oil? the dipstick is under the intercooler.

Tony
I said to the dealreship that it may be worth checking the oil level in the gearbox as I had a similar experience with a Clio Cup 172.

They never mentioned it was something I could check myself. I'm old school mechanics from the days of taking out a level plug to see if the oil seeped out and then top up till it does. Dip sticks for Gearbox is a fantastic idea wish they had thought of it a few years ago.

Shame they didn;t tell me I could check it, I would have been less stresses as I haven't heard from them yet. Chased them up at midday and they hadn't got round to looking at it yet and were going to take it for a long test drive to simulate the fault first........hope they dont cause any further damage but not checking the oil first !
Old 13 July 2005, 08:04 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Update:-
They took it for a test drive and say a Gear linkage is vibrating so they have adjusted it and are re-test driving it today. Hmmmm! Why couldn't they do it after they adjusted it so I could pick it up yesterday ?
Old 13 July 2005, 08:09 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Simon

Hope you get it back soon mate and everything's ok.

Cheers

Terry
Old 13 July 2005, 01:12 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
Simon

Hope you get it back soon mate and everything's ok.

Cheers

Terry
Cheers mate,

Just called me to say I can pick it up tonight and they only did the linkage and all is ok now. FIngers crossed eh ?

Oh yes......My boost gauge arrived today !!!!!
Old 14 July 2005, 08:02 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Update:-
Pick car up last night, after 25 miles of driving the noise is still there, although much better. I will call them today to ask them to order a new linkage in for the service in a couple of weeks.

Bit sneaky of them though, They have a nte to fit a new suspension strut on the O/S rear at the service as it is sticking and knocking badly. They must have greased it yesterday without telling me as it is much better now. Although if you open the boot and bounce on the threshold there is still a slight "soft knock" so they didn't replace it, just tried to hide the condition.
Old 18 July 2005, 12:56 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Suspension is sticking again so called them again today to say get the new strutt in for the service in 2 weeks time. Gear box not perfect but much better, Gear change was very tinght for a few days but it has loosened up again now.

Boost gauge being fitted in 2 weeks too.