Sponsored by:

Phat pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2005, 10:41 AM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phat pipe.

Hope the title makes more people look, see you did, didn't you?

I've got a bog standard 03 Sti UK, and was recommended a Vortex Afterburner cat back system which comes in three pieces for about £600.

Has anybody got one already?

Did you need an ECU change or anything else doing, and does it run smoothly, ie. spool up sooner with no first gear dragging (especially with AC on)?

Is it too loud, and does it affect your warranty? Should I put it on before or after the 30k service coming up now?

Or does anyone recommend anything else for same gains for similar money. I'd appreciate any help to try and order one today,

Thanks

Jerry
Old 08 July 2005, 11:37 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

I have a WRX with an afterburner backbox, fitting the decat centre and middle pipe will not gain you a massive amount of power (at a guess 5-10bhp maybe more) but I found that the car does seem to drive better without the restrictive twins

the vortex is'nt too bad unless you go for a full decat where it turns into an animal, the sound is awesome and build quality top notch

it will invalidate your warranty, to get round this you could refit the oe pipes before taking your car in

hope thats some help
Craig

Last edited by monty baber; 08 July 2005 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08 July 2005, 12:02 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
I have a WRX with an afterburner backbox, fitting the decat centre and middle pipe will not gain you a massive amount of power (at a guess 5-10bhp) but I found that the car does seem to drive better without the restrictive twins

the vortex is'nt too bad unless you go for a full decat where it turns into an animal, the sound is awesome and build quality top notch

it will invalidate your warranty, to get round this you could refit the oe pipes before taking your car in

hope thats some help
Craig
Cheers Craig

Just spoke to David at Cheam Motors and he's been really helpful. Can do the centre and backbox and warranty will be fine with them but maybe not all dealers. But he suggested going for the PPP, and getting more power. Now I'm confused!!

I do want a flat four note which you don't get with the standard STi, and I'm thinking that the PPP exhaust just hasn't got any kind of noise to it. This is from what I've seen in the past so I'm not really sure. Has anyone had the PPP and really rated the exhaust noise, and is getting the Afternurner Vortex centre and back worth it at £500 for 5-10 bhp when you can get 40 bhp for £1995 from Subaru?

Jerry
Old 08 July 2005, 12:26 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nakedjem
Cheers Craig

Just spoke to David at Cheam Motors and he's been really helpful. Can do the centre and backbox and warranty will be fine with them but maybe not all dealers. But he suggested going for the PPP, and getting more power. Now I'm confused!!

I do want a flat four note which you don't get with the standard STi, and I'm thinking that the PPP exhaust just hasn't got any kind of noise to it. This is from what I've seen in the past so I'm not really sure. Has anyone had the PPP and really rated the exhaust noise, and is getting the Afternurner Vortex centre and back worth it at £500 for 5-10 bhp when you can get 40 bhp for £1995 from Subaru?

Jerry
PPP sounds great and not too ott, power and more importantly driveability is a vast improvement from standard, no warranty worries and more desirable on resale so go for it m8

Dont get me wrong though you will see better gains with other routes and also save money if the warranty is'nt an issue
Old 08 July 2005, 02:53 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,

still undecided but i have to do something,

Jerry
Old 08 July 2005, 08:46 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nakedjem
Cheers mate,

still undecided but i have to do something,

Jerry
do what i did - get both best of both worlds.

Lee
Old 08 July 2005, 09:11 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Hey mate.

I have an Afterburner Vortex plus centre section and cat pipe (decat centre) for sale at the moment for £350 (cost £500 new).

It was only on the car (bugeye wrx) for about 3 months then I decided to change for a Supra!

The sound was awesome and the car felt a lot more responsive with it on.

I can post pics if you like.

Cheers,

Mike