Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Tribecca so much stronger than Legacy?

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2005, 04:32 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Tribecca so much stronger than Legacy?

It seems as if Subaru have put quite a bit more effort into the Tribecca, than they did into the simultanioulsy designed Legacy (both were designed at same time- give or take a few months) Anyone else pick this quote up?

"Based on extensively modified version of the Legacy/Outback platform featuring longer wheelbase and length and wider track; body structure provides 22-percent increase in torsional rigidity and a 55-percent increase in bending stiffness"

55% in bending is quite a lot!

Why would Subaru go to trouble of touting the build of their just released legacy, and then introduce a far stronger car in the next breath? Note also just how much harder it is to make a considerably bigger car more rigid than a smaller one.

Also I find it strange that Subaru have never released actual figures/measurments of just how rigid any of their cars are? I have managed to find actual measurments from many makers, including Audi, Mazda, VW, Rolls, Ferrari, Zonda, Jaguar, Saab, Volvo, Alfa, etc. So this tells me that those makers that actually create rigid cars actually are confident enough to publish just how rigid their cars are. While those manufacturers that don't simply are no where near the numbers of those that do publish.
Old 07 July 2005, 09:49 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are factors between different designs that require different designs.

At a guess a too stiff Legacy may make it more dangerous in a crash or have a detrimental effect on the cars stability or handling. The tribeca is a taller/larger vehicle which may result in the same kind of (satisfactory) crash test result in the event of an accident.

I've no idea why they don't have figures made publicly available. I'll see what I can dig up for you.