Sponsored by:

lost control at 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2005, 02:11 PM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost control at 30mph

i was drivering back from southamton after just picking my 1994 subaru wrx wagon up which i brought from japan, about 10 miles from home and got to a set of lights,stopped and when the lights went green took off like normal and got to this corner and i was doing around 30-35mph and the car just went slideing to the left and when i mean slideing a mean from one lane to the other and it was raining but i was shock why it lost control just like that.

got home and found out that it had snow tyres on it is this normal for the handling to be so crap with snow tyres ?
Old 07 July 2005, 02:15 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Never tried them on a Scoob, but I put them on a Golf one winter, and yes, they loose a huge amount of grip when it isn't snowing / muddy. Make the steering really light too, which suggests how little rubber touches the tarmac
Old 07 July 2005, 02:17 PM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Never tried them on a Scoob, but I put them on a Golf one winter, and yes, they loose a huge amount of grip when it isn't snowing / muddy. Make the steering really light too, which suggests how little rubber touches the tarmac
i thought there may have been something wrong with my car
Old 07 July 2005, 02:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Now that adds 400 quid to your purchase price, for a start.
Old 07 July 2005, 02:33 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Why the **** would a JAP car have snow tyres???? Does it snow in Japan???
Old 07 July 2005, 02:37 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by LIDDO
Does it snow in Japan???
Below: Japanese Macaques share a moment's sympathy for the suffering of the Japanese Brass Macaque at this time.

Old 07 July 2005, 02:42 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Sorry but you are not accurate with that post (read that as being wrong )
Winter tyres are designed to cope with all that winter throws at it.
They are exceptional in rain, far more so than your standard summer tyre so I doubt that the type of tyre had any effect on his car control. However, if it was a particularly cheap & nasty tyre, andt they were worn and under/over inflated then it could cause handling probs - But that could apply to a summer tyre!

I still have winter tyres fitted to my car as I've not got around to changing back, and I suffer no bad effects. They're good quality (over £100 per tyre) and were brilliant when driving in the Alps this winter (Could still drive up hills when -18 temps over thick ice/snow).
They have a high silica content which makes them a lot more grippy a low temps (normal rubber in tyres goes hard and has zero grip) and the tread pattern is designed to displace rain and snow very efficiently. They also perform well under normal conditions.
The only down side is that they will wear out a lot quicker in warmer dry conditions.
My Tyre tread:

My post is of no help to the original poster tho!

Last edited by 4X4BOB; 07 July 2005 at 02:49 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2005, 03:08 PM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4X4BOB
They are exceptional in rain, far more so than your standard summer tyre so I doubt that the type of tyre had any effect on his car control. However, if it was a particularly cheap & nasty tyre, andt they were worn and under/over inflated then it could cause handling probs - But that could apply to a summer tyre!

I still have winter tyres fitted to my car as I've not got around to changing back, and I suffer no bad effects. They're good quality (over £100 per tyre) and were brilliant when driving in the Alps this winter (Could still drive up hills when -18 temps over thick ice/snow).
They have a high silica content which makes them a lot more grippy a low temps (normal rubber in tyres goes hard and has zero grip) and the tread pattern is designed to displace rain and snow very efficiently. They also perform well under normal conditions.
The only down side is that they will wear out a lot quicker in warmer dry conditions.
My Tyre tread:

The tyres my my wagon a bridgestones and all 4 have at least 7mm of tread on them so do you think there could be something wrong with the car ?
Old 07 July 2005, 03:17 PM
wrx,sti
Scooby Regular

Must be a bit of diesel on the road
Old 07 July 2005, 03:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LIDDO
Why the **** would a JAP car have snow tyres???? Does it snow in Japan???

Where do you think they had the japanese winter olympics was held a few years ago??? on a dry slope?

Gary
Old 07 July 2005, 03:24 PM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx,sti
Must be a bit of diesel on the road
no was the handling 100% because i tired to take it around a corner kinda fast and it did the same thing.
Old 07 July 2005, 03:29 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Where do you think they had the japanese winter olympics was held a few years ago??? on a dry slope?

Gary

:
Old 07 July 2005, 03:37 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

sorry couldnt resist numpty .....

Gary
Old 07 July 2005, 05:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Beat me to it You often find a lot of Jap imports have rubber studded tyres fitted - these would definetly behave oddly in wet conditions!
Old 07 July 2005, 05:38 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

Have to say my experience of snow tires is a *lot* less grip in dry / light rain than a conventional sport tyre. They may never aquaplane, but there's just more scope for the tread blocks to move around.

Also found that when my scoob went from S-02's to crappy avons it reduced it to much more mortal cornering standards... tires are a very big part of the 'mental grip' equation.
Old 07 July 2005, 09:30 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4X4BOB

My Tyre tread:

Innaccurate? I was talking about my experience in my car - didn't see you there!
His car and my car had snow tyres fitted, not winter tyres.
Maybe expensive winter tyres are fab I wouldn't know. Doesn't sound like Mushy's car had those though.

You work for Pirelli by any chance?
Old 07 July 2005, 10:47 PM
viperkick
Scooby Regular

i have these snow tyres on my car have had them since i got it its a jap .. and yes have been sliding in my car . when i first got it .

round a corner at 35 side ways .. and at the time i was telling me misses how safe and good the car was .. lol

its the tyres mate trust me there not much better In the dry ether mine
ad some scary times ..
Old 07 July 2005, 11:07 PM
Bing_2004
Scooby Regular

My Scoob came over from Japan with Bridgestone blizzark tyres on. I researched and found that they were snow tyres.

In the dry they were fine but in the wet they were ridiculous. If I put my foot down at any speed even on straights I could feel power shifting from wheel to wheel as they lost and regained grip. The car made a snaking motion. On corners I would almost always get oversteer. Roundabouts were a nightmare. I had to crawl round them. I kept these tyres for about 6 months till I could afford to replace them. I didn`t get to find out the true handling capability of the Impreza till I changed all four tyres.
Once I had Goodyears on the difference was unbelievable. It`s like a different car in the wet.
I reccommend that you change tyres as soon as you can afford to. You can get some pretty good prices if you shop about online.
Old 07 July 2005, 11:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-MUSHY
i was drivering back from southamton after just picking my 1994 subaru wrx wagon up which i brought from japan, about 10 miles from home and got to a set of lights,stopped and when the lights went green took off like normal and got to this corner and i was doing around 30-35mph and the car just went slideing to the left and when i mean slideing a mean from one lane to the other and it was raining but i was shock why it lost control just like that.

got home and found out that it had snow tyres on it is this normal for the handling to be so crap with snow tyres ?
Japanese tyres of all types can be appalling. My last Scooby that I imported had a set of excellent Michelins but some cars have tyres thatd skid on 'Delugrip'..... This is especially so on non-performance vehicles which seldom exceed 50kph.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 07 July 2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07 July 2005, 11:42 PM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bing_2004
My Scoob came over from Japan with Bridgestone blizzark tyres on. I researched and found that they were snow tyres.

In the dry they were fine but in the wet they were ridiculous. If I put my foot down at any speed even on straights I could feel power shifting from wheel to wheel as they lost and regained grip. The car made a snaking motion. On corners I would almost always get oversteer. Roundabouts were a nightmare. I had to crawl round them. I kept these tyres for about 6 months till I could afford to replace them. I didn`t get to find out the true handling capability of the Impreza till I changed all four tyres.
Once I had Goodyears on the difference was unbelievable. It`s like a different car in the wet.
I reccommend that you change tyres as soon as you can afford to. You can get some pretty good prices if you shop about online.
my car has got the same tyres you had the Bridgestone blizzark so i need to find some tyres asap cheers for that every one.
Old 08 July 2005, 03:45 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Old 08 July 2005, 09:48 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Possible other cause - with Jap imports they may well have been sitting around in some warehouse for ages before coming over, and the tyres have hardened or started to perish.

This happens all the time with import bikes from Japan - the first thing anyone does is put decent new tyres on.

Think the fad for snow tyres in Japan is maybe because they have less grip though ? they're all into that drift racing over there, so maybe that would explain it.
Old 08 July 2005, 09:51 AM
WRX-MUSHY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Possible other cause - with Jap imports they may well have been sitting around in some warehouse for ages before coming over, and the tyres have hardened or started to perish.

This happens all the time with import bikes from Japan - the first thing anyone does is put decent new tyres on.

Think the fad for snow tyres in Japan is maybe because they have less grip though ? they're all into that drift racing over there, so maybe that would explain it.
The tyres all have around 7mm tread and are like new but when you touch the tyre it is really soft for some reason.
Old 08 July 2005, 11:18 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Probably worth just swapping them all over for something decent anyway to be on the safe side.
Old 08 July 2005, 11:38 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Probably worth just swapping them all over for something decent anyway to be on the safe side.
Understatement of the year!

Nobodys' mentioned these lethal tyred imports that are allowed to roam the streets could well be the next thing heading straight for you, sideways!!

However, I thought the SVA didn't allow these tyres on our roads?
Old 08 July 2005, 03:16 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Understatement of the year!

Nobodys' mentioned these lethal tyred imports that are allowed to roam the streets could well be the next thing heading straight for you, sideways!!

However, I thought the SVA didn't allow these tyres on our roads?
Don't need SVA on 10 year old cars.
Old 08 July 2005, 08:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Don't need SVA on 10 year old cars.
I'm fully aware of that. Imports under 10 years old still come over on Legoland tyres whatever the age.
Old 08 July 2005, 10:20 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Gary
What a gem!!! PMSL
Old 09 July 2005, 07:53 AM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-MUSHY

Diesel
Old 09 July 2005, 11:28 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you hit diesel to me too. Tyres just wouldnt explain it.

Quick Reply: lost control at 30mph