Sponsored by:

Scooby owner no more!

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2005, 01:38 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby owner no more!

The other week I finally sold my 02 Sti Type UK, bringing to an end 5 enjoyable years of Scooby ownership (a 99 turbo Wagon and 02 STi Type UK). I have thoroughly enjoyed the ownership experience and do not regret buying either Scoob. I have enjoyed going to Scooby meets, looking at Scoobynet virtually every day, the attention the STi gets (mostly good), moddifying both Scoobs and the performance of both Scoobs. I have met alot of great people at meets and especially on the Isle of Man which we have visited with SIDC for the last three years.

However, about 6 months ago I realised I was not really enjoying driving the STi anymore because most of the time I was pottering along at 40-60 mph on traffic laden local roads in the SE. Apart from the glorious exhaust noise the Sti is boring to drive at sane speeds. To really enjoy it I need to drive it at licence loosing speeds. If I lived in the IOM or near some deserted twisty roads in Scotland it would be another matter, but not here in the SE. Also track days are too expensive to do regularly when you factor in insurance and wear and tear. I also find that the Scoob sometimes brings out the boy racer in me and I just have to show other "lesser" cars how quick it is - which is not good for a professional engineer in his mid forties!

Therefore I have decided to buy a car which I can enjoy more of the time. It must be more fun to drive at slow speeds and enjoyable to use and own in other ways, e.g. good steering feel, open air motoring, quality design and build, glorious exhaust note. It has to be reasonably quick, but does not need to be as fast as a Scoob. The car I have chosen and which meets all the above criteria is a Porsche Boxster S. I have found a good one owner Boxster S with the right options and hopefully on Saturday, subject to a satisfactory inspection, I will complete the purchase of my first Porsche - there really is no substitute. Ok I will be financially poorer than if I had kept the STi, but at least I won't feel like I am driving around in the wrong car.

I hope all you Scooby drivers on here continue to enjoy your Scoobs and keep posting on ScoobyNet. I will not forget the great time I have had over the last five years.

Alan
Old 06 July 2005, 04:42 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Good choice Alan, I'm sure it will make a pleasant change and be a pleasure to own.

Obviously the Porsche holds its money better too (not that hard against a scoob).

I too felt owning a performance car in the south was pretty pointless, it's rare to find an open stretch of road and when you do find one it's likely a scamera van is sat somewhere close by.

How long before you start gazing at 911's.

Enjoy.

Shane.
Old 06 July 2005, 04:48 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

that was like reading a love story,brought tears to my eyes
Old 06 July 2005, 04:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I felt the same way a few months ago. Had 3 imprezas and was in a P1 which i had from new and 4 years. I put 400 miles on the clock in the last 6 months as i prefered to drive a golf tdi around.

Sold the p1 and got a 22b uk version, it was either that or a 911. No Impreza would do for me now apart from the 22b. Still might get a 911 one day, but only either a 993 or 996 turbo,whos knows.
Old 06 July 2005, 05:28 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Good choice Alan, I'm sure it will make a pleasant change and be a pleasure to own.

Obviously the Porsche holds its money better too (not that hard against a scoob).

I too felt owning a performance car in the south was pretty pointless, it's rare to find an open stretch of road and when you do find one it's likely a scamera van is sat somewhere close by.

How long before you start gazing at 911's.

Enjoy.

Shane.
Yes, the depreciation should be much lower, although the previous owner of the Boxster I am buying will have lost around £20k in 3 years! However, I don't believe a quality six cylinder Porsche that is looked after will ever depreciate too much.

I did think about a 993C4, but decided it would be too similar to my girlfriend's 964C4, which I often get to drive. I notice that 993s appear to be going up in value at present. 996s, especially with GT3 body kit look good, but are more expensive than Boxster and are too competent like the Scoob. The attraction of the Boxster over a 911 is open air motoring as often as possible which adds an extra dimension to the ownwership experience.

However, I do love the looks of 993s, especially in Arena Red!

Alan
Old 06 July 2005, 06:51 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you've gone from a real mans car to a hairdressers car
Old 06 July 2005, 07:22 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Hi Lemmy

I see you have still got your name down for Alton on the 21st August, will you be introducing us to the new Porka?

Sorry to see you leave Subaru ownership and thanks for you past advice on Mod’s

Best of luck

By the way that TVR Sagaris would look nice as a second car

Ajax, AKA Scoobydaddy

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2005, 07:59 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

people will say that you have bought a poor man's Porker, but don't listen to them. Don't listen either to the hairdresser comments, you will love open top motoring! I've just come out of Z, nothing can beat the sound of a 6 and a lot power going through rear wheels. Keeps you on your toes far more than a Scooby!
Old 06 July 2005, 08:02 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

whats this about Alton Towers on 21st August?
Old 06 July 2005, 10:41 PM
Scoobydaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious
whats this about Alton Towers on 21st August?
Who said Towers ????????? LOL

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=398241

http://www.altonevents.co.uk/gallery...ymeet_2004.asp

Ajax, Scoobydaddy
Old 07 July 2005, 02:23 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lemmy.......best wishes with the boxter,I too aspire to owning one eventually and I hope you give us your thoughts of it on here in the near future.
There's something weird always happens when i'm on here,I just feel like going for a blast just for the hell of , so i'm off now for a drive in the country with the stereo off and the windows down