Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you're going to JAE don't miss this!

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2005, 12:54 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up If you're going to JAE don't miss this!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=438099

Cheers
Simon
Old 30 June 2005, 03:31 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spam spam spam

zzz
Old 30 June 2005, 11:12 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i wish he would **** off and die tbh
Old 30 June 2005, 11:16 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

thing is; it's not spam as he's an
Old 30 June 2005, 11:19 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bollocks
Old 30 June 2005, 11:22 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Nice way to treat a paying Trader!

I won't be doing either I'm afraid

Simon
Old 30 June 2005, 11:45 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

***YAWN***
What will happen if I do miss it?
Old 30 June 2005, 11:49 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

you wont get any oil.....
Old 30 June 2005, 12:04 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

What if I can get it cheaper, and without the "helpful" advice elsewhere - I fail to see how missing this will result in all my oil suppliers reservces drying up!
Old 30 June 2005, 12:28 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Am i being totally stupid here, but has the 23/24 June gone.

Am i missing something ?

Rob
Old 30 June 2005, 12:34 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Am i being totally stupid here, but has the 23/24 June gone.

Am i missing something ?

Rob
Well spotted, typo 23/24th July

Cheers
Old 30 June 2005, 12:38 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Well spotted, typo 23/24th July

Cheers
Where is the event taking place and what is it?

Rob
Old 30 June 2005, 12:42 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/
Old 30 June 2005, 01:06 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Cheers Tony !

Rob
Old 01 July 2005, 10:59 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

So this is how paying traders with genuinely good offers on quality products are treated here

It's a shame really that some feel the need to belittle the service that we are offering to this forum.

Thank god for the silent majority that appreciate the service that we offer

Your business is welcome and our faith in humanity remains

Cheers
Simon
Old 01 July 2005, 11:19 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

So this is how paying traders with genuinely good offers on quality products are treated here

It's a shame really that some feel the need to belittle the service that we are offering to this forum.

Thank god for the silent majority that appreciate the service that we offer

Your business is welcome and our faith in humanity remains

Cheers
Simon
Simon, I fail to see how you can describe what you do as a "service" tbh. You are a business, and you are increasing your customer base by using car enthusiasts forums (indeed, some would say, you have saturated nearly all marque forums) - Fair do's, good business - I am sure you are doing well! Or do you not make a profit from selling oil?

I think that the trouble is that if anyone asks a question about oil, you will fairly instantly be "in there" with some sales spiel, "I would use this oil - which incidentally we have a great deal on at the moment!". It appears that you have also been "upstaged" in knowledged by a few on this forum, and have been unable to answer certain questions (in fact almost ignoring them!)

I get my oil at less than trade prices - so your business does not concern me - but if you are offering oil at cheap prices, you will do fairly well I am sure (most people are out to save as much as possible) I wish you all the luck for this!

Dont mean to bitch, just my 2p worth
Old 01 July 2005, 12:07 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

It appears that you have also been "upstaged" in knowledged by a few on this forum, and have been unable to answer certain questions (in fact almost ignoring them!)
If I failed to answer questions (and I would like to know where) then it was certainly not intentional and I never ignore people intentionally.

There will always be debates on oil and there are two defined schools of thought on this and many other forums. One is thicker is better and the other is thicker oils cause more wear etc when used in the wrong appliactions.

I always post the technical reasons behind my recommendations when asked but most people just want some recommendation.

Selling 6 brands with viscosities from 0w-20 to 20w-60 give us a broad knowledge and detailed insight to the products that we sell. We recommend what we sell (naturally) as these are the oils that we have intimate knowlege and experience of.

If you can buy trade then that's great but most people can't so what we offer is a good deal for the majority on a range of high performance products.

Finally, we sell a lot of oil to many car club members but not without a lot of work and research into the correct ones. We spend 90% of our time giving advice to people.

I'm not trying to justify what we do (we are an oil company) but there's more to it than meets the eye.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01 July 2005, 01:27 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

If I failed to answer questions (and I would like to know where) then it was certainly not intentional and I never ignore people intentionally.
Simon, from memory, Adam M was asking a few questions - if you did finally answer them, I apologise, I do not have time to keep track of all posts on here!

There will always be debates on oil and there are two defined schools of thought on this and many other forums. One is thicker is better and the other is thicker oils cause more wear etc when used in the wrong appliactions.
Agreed there seems to be constant arguments, I will continue to use Castrol RS10/60 - I have had no problems and know of no-one who has had problems using this oil.

I always post the technical reasons behind my recommendations when asked but most people just want some recommendation.
A fish and chip shop owner would have far more knowledge than me (and probably quite a few people on here) with regards to oil and its technicalities - Again, due to the seemingly endless arguments REil, I would imagine that the technical reasons you post will contradict other peoples understandings - when either opinion could be right/wrong.

Selling 6 brands with viscosities from 0w-20 to 20w-60 give us a broad knowledge and detailed insight to the products that we sell. We recommend what we sell (naturally) as these are the oils that we have intimate knowlege and experience of.
I am unfamiliar with the way you run your business, but if you train yourself/your staff in oil chemistry (and don't just use the manufacturers blurb) then I would agree you have intimate knowledge - if not, then I shoud imagine you will have an understanding of what oil works in what applications (which anyone can get from looking in handbooks etc).

If you can buy trade then that's great but most people can't so what we offer is a good deal for the majority on a range of high performance products.
As mentioned, If you offer oil cheaper than anywhere else (incl. delivery charges on top) then I am sure many people will use you as a supplier

Finally, we sell a lot of oil to many car club members but not without a lot of work and research into the correct ones. We spend 90% of our time giving advice to people.
Again, the main reason the advice is given is to bring in sales - otherwise you could not justify spending 90% of your time on giving said advice.

I'm not trying to justify what we do (we are an oil company) but there's more to it than meets the eye.
I am not looking for justification, just giving you my opinion on why the less "humane" of us may be belittling your "service" to us!

Last edited by TonyFlow; 01 July 2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01 July 2005, 01:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have to say simon, you really don't seem to offer any advice beyond go with the ratings advised by the subaru service manual.

That hardly constitutes informed advice. I could quite easily go on to each forum, look up the manufacturers recommended weight of oil and state that as my recommendation across the range of 6 makes of oil I sell.

When posed with a specific question, you seem to tailor your answer to the only information you have which seems to be standard sales talk relating the quality of the base stock. The kind of stuff that anyone with half a brain and a desire to make money could pick up from an A4 sheet of sales literature.

As I said, fair play to you for spotting a market and exploiting it by providing low prices and good supply chains.

But please don't claim to be an oil expert, when you are an oil salesman, unless you are of course an oil expert.

Can you confirm if you have any qualifications relating to organic chemistry or in fact any chemistry relating to oil composition, extraction or refining.

am not having a stab here, I just want to confirm if you are a technical oil expert or not.
Old 01 July 2005, 02:06 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Adam,

I have worked in the oil industry for many years and unlike most people that sell a product I have always taken seriously learning about the technical aspects of the products from the people that know, the technical advisors and chemists.

My experience is based on years of talking with the experts (employed by the major oil companies) about the nuts and bolts of oils and lubrication. I have visited numerous refineries both related to lubricants and fuel as my business in involved in selling both.

We use a number of sources for advice when needed if we do not have the technical expertise to answer a question and these range from Oil Company experts and chemists, OEM's and two proprietory databases that list the OEM's recommendations and specifications for the car concerned.

Like most companies we compile knowledge from technical articles and recommendations in our own database for reference.

Knowledge is built up with experience and as regards to being an expert, I'm no oil company chemist but my knowledge is broad and technical on all fronts as you will have seen by the many posts and technical arguments that I have made here.

If you want a technical question answered, just ask, I will respond to you immediately of go away and get the answer for you. Whatever, it will be answered.

Alonside your average retailer of oils, we are different. We are better informed and don't just sell an oil without questioning the application and choice.

I know for sure that we could make more sales if we just agreed with everyone and went with the flow but I refuse to do that as it flys in the face of the advice that we have from the sources that we use.

This is a public forum and I've said too much already but oil expert or not (in your eyes) our advice is based on fact and we will continue to recommend what we think is right.

If you get different advice from an "oil expert" then by all means post it, I'd be happy to see some. It's advice and it's free, you don't have to take it.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01 July 2005, 02:10 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

So the actual answer is no? You should be a politician, answer the question and cut the bullsh!t

"""I know for sure that we could make more sales if we just agreed with everyone and went with the flow but I refuse to do that as it flys in the face of the advice that we have from the sources that we use."""

Sorry pal, don't believe you. Your business is based on blinding people with science and making them reliant on you as an "expert". The experts are those who develop the engines, gearboxes etc who will not put a multi-billion pound development at risk by recommending the wrong grade/type of oil.

In addition, the sources that you use are also in the business of selling oil. Its like the old cigarette adverts which advocated smoking for one reason or another, there is a reason behind the message the manufacturers give you. A castrol rep is not going to say that a mobil oil is better than one they are selling, so how can you claim to be impartial when you seem to have quite a limited range.

You cannot say that you have this luxury of being independant, as you obviously get some good deals from your limited suppliers, and thus most of the spiel i've seen you trot out on here are the manufacturers sales blurb.

Last edited by jbwrx300; 01 July 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01 July 2005, 02:22 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

How is it bull****!

You don't even know me.

Try doing a search on oilman and reading my technical posts. Is this something the average man on the street knows about? Come on oil is oil isn't it?

How is 6 brands limited? Know many others that sell more than 1?

As for using oil sales blurb, where? I don't, I ignore this and look at the technical data along with chemical analysis to define quality.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 01 July 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01 July 2005, 02:49 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

You don't even know me.
No you are right, I don't know you, and I know you have detailed technical knowledge and respect that - but Adam asked you a very un-technical question (what qualifications you have) and you came out with a whole diatribe which was completely unnecessary and to me marks you out as someone who is not prepared to give a straight answer - something that many of your previous posts bear witness to.
Old 01 July 2005, 03:13 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I stated in my post that I am not an oil chemist and more to the point have never pretended or cliamed to be.

I also explained where my information comes from.

Is what I offer a crime and of no value? If so I'm wasting my time and money being here!

Must be trader bashing day

Cheers
Simon
Old 01 July 2005, 03:19 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I know for sure that we could make more sales if we just agreed with everyone and went with the flow but I refuse to do that as it flys in the face of the advice that we have from the sources that we use.
Dont mean to come across as trader bashing - but, playing the Devil's advocate, a few months ago, you were not recommending Castrol RS for use in Scoobs, now you are advertising it in your deals, so is that not flying in the face of advice you have received?
Old 01 July 2005, 03:45 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I've always sold RS 10w-60 but that's somewhat different from recommending it.

At the end of the day, it's your car and money.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01 July 2005, 03:56 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

I apologize from now if I have missed the point here....But what the F**k is everyone's problem with this thread??!!

Correct me if im wrong but if Oilman has come on to this thread or any other thread for that matter, and advertised his business on here, then what the hell is the problem with that?!

I keep on reading people moaning about him giving advice, suggesting a certain oil to a car enthusiast then what do you know! he's got a special deal on just that certain oil type he suggested! Who gives a F**k?!?

Is that not how business works?!

So what, he's trying to make money, aren't we all?! Just as long as the buyer is happy with the oil their getting and the price their paying then I really cant see why certain people want to bitch and moan about it!

So what,,, are people trying to tell me that 5 litres of Silkolene Pro S for £29.99 is not cheap?! Cause its less than im paying!

So what if he's exploiting a market, with out people like him out there what the he'll would we put in our cars, kitchen oil?!?

People may think im defending Oilman, but I don't even know him and have never had any dealings with him before, I've simply posted this cause I think this sites going down hill with to many fussy, picky, cant wait to have another moan people!!

Shimy.
Old 01 July 2005, 04:07 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shimy Type R
I apologize from now if I have missed the point here....But what the F**k is everyone's problem with this thread??!!

Correct me if im wrong but if Oilman has come on to this thread or any other thread for that matter, and advertised his business on here, then what the hell is the problem with that?!

I keep on reading people moaning about him giving advice, suggesting a certain oil to a car enthusiast then what do you know! he's got a special deal on just that certain oil type he suggested! Who gives a F**k?!?

Is that not how business works?!

So what, he's trying to make money, aren't we all?! Just as long as the buyer is happy with the oil their getting and the price their paying then I really cant see why certain people want to bitch and moan about it!

So what,,, are people trying to tell me that 5 litres of Silkolene Pro S for £29.99 is not cheap?! Cause its less than im paying!

So what if he's exploiting a market, with out people like him out there what the he'll would we put in our cars, kitchen oil?!?

People may think im defending Oilman, but I don't even know him and have never had any dealings with him before, I've simply posted this cause I think this sites going down hill with to many fussy, picky, cant wait to have another moan people!!

Shimy.
Is that not pretty much along the lines of what I have said?

If people are getting it cheap - he will do well, he asked why people were slating him, and I posted up my opinion on why that was!

Last edited by TonyFlow; 01 July 2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01 July 2005, 04:34 PM
Shimy Type R
Scooby Regular

Is that not pretty much along the lines of what I have said?

If people are getting it cheap - he will do well, he asked why people were slating him, and I posted up my opinion on why that was!

Fare enough mate, but has he ever ripped you off? has he ever sold you oil that you shouldn't have put in your engine? have you even ever brought oil from him?!

What I cant seem to get my head round is, if the answer's to these questions is no, then why go out of your way to voice your opinion when he's never done you a wrong?!?

If im not mistaken, your first post started with, ***YAWN***

I just see that as a little childish seen as to say he didn't come on here to tell us about how he beat a Porsche Turbo in a race, or something else along those ridicules lines, fare enough, YAWN at something like that, but he came on to offer a service that may benefit some of us. It's up to you whether you take the offer or not.

Im not picking at you personally but can you see my point?

Cheers Shimy.
Old 01 July 2005, 04:51 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Fare enough mate, but has he ever ripped you off? has he ever sold you oil that you shouldn't have put in your engine? have you even ever brought oil from him?!
No - but I have never claimed to have been.

What I cant seem to get my head round is, if the answer's to these questions is no, then why go out of your way to voice your opinion when he's never done you a wrong?!?
Because Simon made the comment on people belittling the "service" he provides - I voiced my opinion on why people would do this.

If im not mistaken, your first post started with, ***YAWN***
That it did - had the post heading have been along the lines of "Special JAE Oil Prices" then I wouldn't have wasted my time in looking at the thread - I do not need oil - but the fact of the matter is that it wasn't titled as such, and could have meant anything - making people read the thread. I think that was a bit wrong tbh!

I just see that as a little childish seen as to say he didn't come on here to tell us about how he beat a Porsche Turbo in a race, or something else along those ridicules lines, fare enough, YAWN at something like that, but he came on to offer a service that may benefit some of us. It's up to you whether you take the offer or not.
Again, I would question the use of the word "service" - I can get 2 packs of peas for the price of 1 at Tesco's - I wouldn't consider that a service. He offers decent prices on oil - not a service!

Im not picking at you personally but can you see my point?
In a way, yes, but had the thread title been something more suitable, I wouldnt have even read it, let alone posted on it, can you see my point?

Quick Reply: If you're going to JAE don't miss this!