Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will a dealer supply and fit..........

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 02:02 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a dealer supply and fit..........

Boost gauge ?

I have a MY05 STI PPP - don't want to play with anything incase I invalidate the warranty
Old 23 June 2005, 02:18 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by What if ?
Boost gauge ?

I have a MY05 STI PPP - don't want to play with anything incase I invalidate the warranty
I would have thought so. They have the gauges and case on the subaru site for sale here:

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/su...6?Opendocument

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/su...E?Opendocument

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/su...A?Opendocument
Old 23 June 2005, 02:23 PM
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
Scooby Regular

Boost gauge ?

if i were you id contact xtreme scoobies they do BF defi,s they look the biz,the subaru dials are not so cool looking,the bf defis are black untill ignition is started and they light up,match the dash dials very well,can e-mail u pics if u want.

pm me
ta
Old 23 June 2005, 04:00 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i asked this question when i had a UK scoob with warrenty - i was told that they would only supply and fit the guages as shown above - any other and the warrenty would go up in smoke!! - ridiculous but true!
Old 23 June 2005, 04:25 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

if you are looking for the defis, check out the group buy section
Old 23 June 2005, 05:07 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for Xtreme Scoobies.
They fitted my Defi's in 1.5 hours and did a fab job.
Old 23 June 2005, 05:15 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

The little boost one on the colomn is quite cool i think, xtreme will do the same one though but cheaper. Its made by Lamco.

The tripple pod that Subaru do looks well ****e though, xtreme do the full range

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2005, 08:13 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advise, Thought the dealers wouldn't like anyone else fitting this (Pippyrips). I will look at the links above and if I can stand the look of them, I may go down that route. Otherwise it's waiting till the warranty expires (3 years, I think).
Old 24 June 2005, 08:18 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Column one looks ok but I'm not sure about where they site it. Surely it's in the way of seeing the tacho ? or maybe it's just the angle. Anyone seen this in the flesh and can comment ?
Old 24 June 2005, 08:37 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

How can fitting a boost guage invalidate your warranty?
Old 24 June 2005, 09:05 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

exactly what i said at the time Chris but thats what i got told. I never pursued it as i sold the car
Old 24 June 2005, 09:31 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Column one looks ok but I'm not sure about where they site it. Surely it's in the way of seeing the tacho ? or maybe it's just the angle. Anyone seen this in the flesh and can comment ?
The column one is the dogs, ive it fitted to my car. It is really neat and looks like its supposed to be there. I have it fitted to the left hand side of the steering column. The only down point about it is that they say you should route the pipe and cable between where the steering column and the dash meet, which with the adjustable height steering column, dosent really work that well.
I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the steering column, just behind the boost guage and feeding the pipes throught there. Heres a pic of it fitted

Old 24 June 2005, 01:57 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

How on earth can you see that tiny thing when you're on the move

The dealer supplied Lamco guage is expensive for what it is. When I made enquiries at a dealer he talked me out of it and said don't waste your money - buy defi guages instead. Guess what I did and looks IMHO

I admit that I got rather carried away with the number of guages and can't see the fuel guage anymore but this hasn't caused a problem yet
Old 24 June 2005, 02:00 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

how could you not see it? you would have to be blind, at lest it isnt in the middle of the dash like those stupid looking 3 guage pods. Were it is, you can see everything with one sweep of your eye. You have all your guages in front of you. Dont really get the comment 'How on earth can you see that tiny thing when your on the move' What diameter is your boost guage?
Old 24 June 2005, 02:14 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I don;t see whay you would go to Subaru to have a gauge fitted when they will charge twice the rpice of any indy garage. It;s easy to do, and IMO there are better and nicer looking guages out there than the standard Subaru one.

Plus, dmc1980, interesting you say 'it looks like its supposed to be there' when your dials are all white faced and this is different font and black faced - one of the reasons I went for a different make was so it would match my existing dials and not stand out as being different as I think the standard one does...

Best option is the A-pillar option - out of the way, but easily visible, simply to install cables etc down the side of the dash and easy to tap into the intrument lighting for the back-lit facility.
Old 24 June 2005, 02:15 PM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
how could you not see it? you would have to be blind, at lest it isnt in the middle of the dash like those stupid looking 3 guage pods. Were it is, you can see everything with one sweep of your eye. You have all your guages in front of you. Dont really get the comment 'How on earth can you see that tiny thing when your on the move' What diameter is your boost guage?
I think it is placed well in the same cluster area as the others. I will see what the dealers say. Not sure I am getting all the boost I should so rather than let them tell me it's ok, I thought I would see for myself.

Cheers for the help
Old 24 June 2005, 02:29 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mightyyid]I don;t see whay you would go to Subaru to have a gauge fitted when they will charge twice the rpice of any indy garage.QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of discount - you know not paying the list price someone quotes you?

I've have one of these fitted to my STi - cost me £40 including fitting carried out by a main dealer.

I agree with dmc, it looks like standard fit(OK, I don't have white dials though), not like those stupid aftermarket stuck on things - all in my opinion of couse.

Shaun
Old 24 June 2005, 03:31 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

ive got the lamco one on the steering column and its great only problem is it only goes up to 1.5bar
Old 24 June 2005, 03:37 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with you there about the colour of the dials, but my thinking behind this was that everything in front of the dials, ie the trim etc is black. So I would rather of had the black faced one, as it dosent stand out and look like some out of place piece of wad sitting on my steering column.
Old 24 June 2005, 03:39 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmc1980
[Michael Winner Mode]Calm down dear it's only a commercial[/Michael Winner Mode]

I was having a laugh matey hence the big at the end of the sentance. The Lamco guage does look a little on the small side in the picture you've posted. My Defi's are 60mm - plus they have the warning light should things go wrong - comes in handy if you hit overboost as you can see the light even if you're not looking directly at the guage.

IMHO, the defi's look like a factory fitted product, they light up exactly the same as my dash and have same colour faces.

My boost guage is mounted on the steering column in exactly the same place as yours so no need to look over at the stupid 3 guage pod If I ever got round to fitting my HUD I wouldn't have to take my eyes of the windowscreen

Chris
Old 24 June 2005, 03:45 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
PMSL at the price of them
Old 24 June 2005, 04:07 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

My apologies for my outburst earlier, having one of those days!! The price stated on the web is what you get of you go in and act dumn, bargain with them, they will move.
Old 24 June 2005, 05:29 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
PMSL at the price of them
Indeed, very pricey.
Old 26 June 2005, 10:31 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=urban]
Originally Posted by mightyyid
I don;t see whay you would go to Subaru to have a gauge fitted when they will charge twice the rpice of any indy garage.QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of discount - you know not paying the list price someone quotes you?

I've have one of these fitted to my STi - cost me £40 including fitting carried out by a main dealer.

I agree with dmc, it looks like standard fit(OK, I don't have white dials though), not like those stupid aftermarket stuck on things - all in my opinion of couse.

Shaun
I went to the dealers yesterday and they want £139 for the gauge and £150 to fit it !!!!!!! WTF !!!!! they wouldn't negotiate either, they said that was Subaru prices for you and they don't make anything oyt of the fitment as it is a difficult and time comsuming job (Yeah, right, for monkeys !).
I asked about supplying my own gauge and they were ok with this, they also said I could have one fitted myself and NOT invalidate my Warranty. I think I would want that in writing.
Old 26 June 2005, 06:13 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I'd just fit one yourself if you feel you are able - it's easy (and I have photos of mine on my MY05 step by step) -works fine and there is no way it can invalidate your warranty unless you claim for damage at the exact same point you feed the wires through etc etc. It's easy - and as others have said, maybe some main dealers will budge, but many certainly will not.
Old 27 June 2005, 08:07 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, I will speak to a manager at the dealers and get final confirmation. Does anyone know of anyone near Portsmouth that can supply and fit these ?