Sponsored by:

SCOOB FOR SALE BUT

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2005, 06:38 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCOOB FOR SALE BUT

I have said this b4 but still no responce and i have dropped the price. why wont it sell is it over priced (not) its a mint condition car, well looked after so what is the problem or is that no one wants a classic scoob anymore.
some people have said hold out and a buyer will turn up but at what price so please please please i need to know.
Old 17 June 2005, 06:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know mate, could be a few things:-

1. Is it Modified?? This kills sales!

2. Is it an Import?? This kills sales!

3. Colour?? If its the MicaPink then you are in trouble!

4. Has it been tracked? Raced? Won't sell then!

5. Are you a long way away from areas of population?

6. Price, is it REALLY right? Get a dealer to quote a CASH price for it - it will give you an HONEST idea (add on a bit to sell privately)

7. Do you come across as a Boy Racer? It has to be said - some people put off buyers!

8. How many owners? Lots?

9. How long have you owned it?? Less that 12 months is bad - since new is great!

I don't know you, I don't know the car, I have no vested interest - so the above is what I would be looking for/avoiding

Does it help?

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 06:56 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Agree with Pete.
Old 17 June 2005, 06:58 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I don't know mate, could be a few things:-

1. Is it Modified?? This kills sales!

2. Is it an Import?? This kills sales!

3. Colour?? If its the MicaPink then you are in trouble!

4. Has it been tracked? Raced? Won't sell then!

5. Are you a long way away from areas of population?

6. Price, is it REALLY right? Get a dealer to quote a CASH price for it - it will give you an HONEST idea (add on a bit to sell privately)

7. Do you come across as a Boy Racer? It has to be said - some people put off buyers!

8. How many owners? Lots?

9. How long have you owned it?? Less that 12 months is bad - since new is great!

I don't know you, I don't know the car, I have no vested interest - so the above is what I would be looking for/avoiding

Does it help?

Pete

import kill sales??
i dunno bout over there but in ireland its the other way round, everyone wants an sti at least, nobody would touch a uk spec scoob
Old 17 June 2005, 06:59 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

cheers pete so from the top
1 not really
2 yes
3 it aint no pink (black)
4 never
5 live in sticks ville
6 bargin
7 no
8 1
9 2 years
Old 17 June 2005, 07:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

2. and 6. are the areas of concern as I see it.

Not sure about 1. ...... its either modded or it isn't!? Has it only got a backbox mod.?

Imports cost more to insure .... and no-one will pay UK Car money for an Import.

So, really - it seems like 6. is the issue!!

With all due respect, if it WAS a bargain then you would have sold it within hours. So it clearly isn't (or you are not advertising it in the right places) ScoobyNet is NOT the right place!! Its like selling a sand-pit to the Arabs .... theres too many!!

Lets say I advertised my car MY00, 1 Owner, UK Car, Standard, Full History, 59,000miles, for £4000 ............ I would sell it within hours, its too cheap.

If I advertised it for what the dealer offerred in P/Ex against new, £9150 .... I would expect to be sat alone by the phone for months.

In between is the right amount, you must find that amount (and it varies daily, due to who is looking and when and what they have to spend, even if they live close by)

Like I said, ring a Subaru Dealer for a CASH price - the price he would pay you without any car being bought, add about 15% and you should be right on the button.

Good luck

Pete
Old 17 June 2005, 07:30 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

well that told me (liked the sand 1 pmsl) with regards to mods its agot a full h&s zosrt indution kit and 17"alloys

Trending Topics

Old 17 June 2005, 07:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It generally boils down to price in the final analysis, everything has its price.

Pete
Old 18 June 2005, 01:06 AM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It generally boils down to price in the final analysis, everything has its price.

Pete
For once i actually agree with Pete,
Also, you have to look at the market place, Ireland has not got a very large population, and out of them how many are in the market for your Scoob at the time you are selling? And remember, every week there are a new bunch of buyers looking for your year,colour,mileage, spec, etc,so just be patient.
And another thing, have you ever heard the saying, "the 1st offer you get is the best" ?
Old 19 June 2005, 01:34 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedystu
well that told me (liked the sand 1 pmsl) with regards to mods its agot a full h&s zosrt indution kit and 17"alloys
lol so in answer to being modded it's a yes rather than not really!

It's got the three things people will instantly pick up on, a big fat exhaust, big wheels and as soon as they pop the bonnet a big filter cone.
Old 19 June 2005, 02:21 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

have you still got standard parts? if so, just bolt these back on and sell modified parts to someone who really wants them. if you don't have these parts, there are 100's of standard parts available on ebay - often see exhausts with no bids and no reserve!
you could then also afford to take a small price cut on the car, after all, you will have the money raised from selling modified parts.
Old 19 June 2005, 02:34 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I only bought my WRX 6 weeks ago and looked for the following pre-req's in order:
  • Totally standard UK car (incl. no PPP be cause of insurance)
  • WR Blue
  • FSSH
  • '01 plate or later
  • Approx £10k
  • Never tracked/raced
  • Low mileage
  • Tidy paintwork/interior
  • Responsible owner (you don't know this until you meet them, unless their phone manner is BAD!)
I ended up with an '01 WRX, standard UK car in WR blue with 23.5k miles and FSSH. It had a few stone chips/light scratches, mint interior except a slight scuff on passenger door. Good alloys except parking scuffs. WRX mats and bootliner. £9800.
Old 19 June 2005, 05:28 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

IMO i dont think exhaust/wheels will put any1 off the car - i mean its nothing that cant be changed by the new owner if they didnt like them - if anything it should add to the value...

Raf.
p.s. seen pics of your car and it looks a real good one - shame i have my heart set on a V5 Type-R - otherwise i'd have bought yours..!
Old 19 June 2005, 06:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAF1
IMO i dont think exhaust/wheels will put any1 off the car - i mean its nothing that cant be changed by the new owner if they didnt like them - if anything it should add to the value...!

The items are NOT the problem ............ its the type of person who would modify in that way, someone who was looking for more power - to go faster!!

It screams BoyRacer to EVERY buyer ................. and that doesn't sell cars!

It needs to be standard spec. and get a grandad to do the selling ..... like I said, whatever we say, EVERYONE wants a mint, 1 Owner, un-molested Scooby!!!! (they may then modify it, but don't want to buy it off someone who would!)

Pete
Old 19 June 2005, 06:17 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I hear what you're saying...
only i looked at a V5 Type-R imported from new and the original exhaust was looking 6 years old...! a bit rusty - Now if i bought the car i would be looking to put a s/s jobby on it - how many peeps young or old, boy racers or not would be looking for a standard zorst to replace it with..?
Wheels - well standard wheels on any car thats 6 years old would probably be looking a bit tired - again i think most people would replace/upgrade rather than replace with originals....

Raf.
Old 19 June 2005, 07:48 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

well raf you hit the nail on the head the chap i brought my car from changes his car ever 18 months or so and he is no boy racer(mrlewis)infact the bloke has had more scoobs then a dealer sorry infact he is a dealer so thats that.
its about as standard as every scoob but like every scoob this one for a cxhange has NOT been on the track.
Old 19 June 2005, 10:32 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAF1
IMO i dont think exhaust/wheels will put any1 off the car - i mean its nothing that cant be changed by the new owner if they didnt like them - if anything it should add to the value...
I'd say the majority of people look for a standard machine. As for changing them, I guess you could actually profit by selling the bits but who wants the hassle of changing stuff on a newly bought car when you can buy one with the bits already on it for less money

As fo rtrack use, I'd say the majority of the public would never even ask this in the first place. Thing is when choosing who you're pitching the car to you're screwed either way. Pitch it at the general public an mods will scare them off. Pitch it at enthusiasts/people who are into cars etc and they all over price things when selling and underprice them when buying.

Make sure people know it's modifed before they come to view as well, if they don't ask then I really would tell them.

I made a 200+ mile sround trip to look at a 172 at a garage who said it was standard, got there and it was lowered on coilovers, 17inch alloys, magnex exhaust and induction kit, was not happy It drove a dog and sounded like one, the rears would rub and knock everytime you went round a bend, the dealer said it was because he was fat and sat in the back, yeah right... (well he was a fat biffa but that's besides the point)

Last edited by R1916v; 19 June 2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 19 June 2005, 10:36 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedystu
well raf you hit the nail on the head the chap i brought my car from changes his car ever 18 months or so and he is no boy racer(mrlewis)infact the bloke has had more scoobs then a dealer sorry infact he is a dealer so thats that.
We know that, you know that, but anyone looking at an ad won't, and first impressions count for so much.
Old 20 June 2005, 02:52 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Out of interest fella's, aren't pretty much everyone who is selling a car going to say 'it's never been raced or been on the track'! There's hardly any proof of this happening is there, so how can anyone who is buying know the real truth? Always find that a funny one to ask given the scenario...

Andy
Old 20 June 2005, 04:29 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

check the tyres if not new( will have alot of side wall rub it the cars been on the track