Sponsored by:

PLEASE READ. E-Bay Scam

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 05:12 PM
cropsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PLEASE READ. E-Bay Scam

just thought i'd warn everybody of someone on e-bay trying to pull someones pants down with a 02 STI Engine With Box & Tein Suspention.

If anyone gets offered this, dont fall for it like i nearly did !

The person in name (who's uses a german name of hans or something) has now been reported to e-bay and kicked off, but he may try and sell it else where now, so be on the lookout for him.

He tried to sell me the item on e-bay, then i when i tried to make arrangments for picking it all up, he came out with a load of Bo***cks that he was out of the country and his mate would be doing the transaction for him through western union. he then gave me address in london (34 hampshire road, london, nw4/gh1) where he said the engine and all the other bits where. i then suggested that i wanted to drive all the way from manchester to pick it all up and pay for it in cash to make sure it was what it said it was.

he then told me that the he was only willing to accept payment by western union, and that he thought that i though it was a scam (WHICH I DID), and that he would contact e-bay to get them to contact me to let me know it was all legitimate.

Little did the RAT know that e-bay had already contacted me and told me it was a scam and they had canceled his membership with e-bay.
then i get an e-mail (supposadly off e-bay) saying it was all ok.

The CLEVER C*NT had generated this e-mail his self and sent it to me, but i had already been warned of it.

just in case anyone gets offered the same deal, dont buy it !

I cant remember his name that he used, but it was hans, and he was sending me e-mails off the following e-mail address: Vandcuie@yahoo.com and the address in london where he said all the engine and bits where was: 34 hampshire road, london, nw4/gh1.

And if the rat is reading this, UNLUCKY, AND TRY A BIT BETTER NEXT TIME TO PULL A "MANCS" PANTS DOWN, WE KNOW ALL THE TRICKS IN THE BOOK !
Old 13 June 2005, 05:17 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Talking

The words "Western Union" should have set the scam-alarm ringing immediately!!
Old 13 June 2005, 05:21 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Everytime i hear of a scam it does have the words "western union" in there somewhere.

Can somebody explain to me how this scam works, and why havent "western union" done anything about it.

I could do with some extra cash!

Cookie
Old 13 June 2005, 05:34 PM
cropsta
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i dont know how it works mate, but the bloke told me to make a payment with western union to the address that he gave me or something, but leave it in my name. he then said he would contact western union to make sure the payment had been made, but for me to leave it in my name for now. once he knew it had been made, he said he would then package it all up and ship it to me. Then once i had all the stuff delivered to my house, i would have to contact western union and change the name on the payment from mine to his ! dont know how it happens, but i think he must be able to contact western union and change the name somehow ????????
Originally Posted by cookstar
Everytime i hear of a scam it does have the words "western union" in there somewhere.

Can somebody explain to me how this scam works, and why havent "western union" done anything about it.

I could do with some extra cash!

Cookie
Old 13 June 2005, 05:39 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

jeez.

Spose for large purchases, such as yours, it might be worth sticking to c.o.d or bankers draft, at least that way you get his proper name, etc

Why do people have to spoil things all the time.
Old 13 June 2005, 07:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Yeah had something very similar. If you are very unsure ask if you can pay cash and you and a load of mates can come and pick up. Noramlly the scammers won;t like this and will amke up some half arsed excuse.

I had this with some Scoobypsort brembo brakes on ebay. the seller must have though I was some kind of fool but it was so damn obvious what he was trying to do.

AllanB
Old 13 June 2005, 10:43 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Default WU is much maligned!

There's nothing wrong with Western Union if you're a seller - I have sold lots of stuff on ebay where the buyer has paid with WU. The payment is cleared funds i.e. you go to the Western Union office (most high street travel agents are agencies), and collect the cash. Cash = cleared funds, no problem.

Beware the email scam though. This is where your buyer (usually from Nigeria or Holland) says he has paid by WU, and sends you a load of fake WU reference numbers. You then receive a fake WU email, saying the payment has cleared - this is intended to get you to ship before collecting the cash. When you finally do so, you find you've been duped!

As a buyer, it's a different deal. If the goods don't show, or are defective, you have no come-back whatsoever.