Sponsored by:

PPP Disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2005, 09:22 AM
philthejuggler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP Disappointing

I wondered how others felt about the PPP.

I bought my WRX just before they brought out the free PPP offer, and wondered whether to pay and have it fitted anyway. Last week I took their demonstrator out for burn. It only had 160miles on the clock, so hadn't loosened up at all, but I could tell that it felt faster than a standard WRX. Having said that, there was something about the way it delivered the power that made it less exciting to drive - a steadier power increase rather than an acute turbo 'kick'.

Ended up deciding I liked the exhaust note & went and bought an afterburner instead (which definately has improved performance around the 4000-5000rpm mark), but decided against the PPP.

Does the PPP have the same effect on the STi, ie - Increase the speed, reduce the 'kick'. Is the PPP more impressive once the car has a few more thousand on the clock?

Thanks in advance!

Phil
Old 11 June 2005, 10:03 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see how you can judge a car with only 160 miles on it.
Did they ask you to keep it to 4000 rpm during the test drive

Looking back, I think mine was delivering the book figures at about 2000 miles, htis was proved on a rolling road at 3000 miles.
The kick is greater and lasts longer IMHO. I'd try the demo when it has a lot more miles on it.

Nick
Old 11 June 2005, 10:07 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,

I have not driven a PPP version of anything. However it might pay you to have a look around the market to see what other technical solutions are available before jumping in. Only thing to be aware of is that if you are precious about your warranty then its PPP only, if you are not, the worlds your Oyster.

Places to take a look see are Powerstation, Graham Goode Racing, a place at Silverstone, the name of which I can't remember, and ditto for another tuner in Aylesbury. if you purchase Japanese Performance magazine there's loads of adverts in there from serious players as a start point.

My advice would be go out and drive their demonstrators and see which feels like it gives you what you are looking for. Don't believe the bhp/torque hype as these figures are difficult to evidence. If you ask a tuner to evidence that you have been given the 100bhp increase you paid for you will have little chance of that happening.

Like I said, its about driveability and choosing which application rocks your boat. Then go see your bank manager and take it from there.

Good luck.

WB

PS Be aware that you can't change very much on the new age cars, engine & exhaust wise, without considering a remap, if you want to preserve the longevity of your engine.
Old 11 June 2005, 10:25 AM
Wakey
Scooby Regular

???

I'm sorry I disagree with you there - My WRX PPP is not a dull as your description.
Why on earth there was PPP on a car that had only done 150 miles is beyond me? I suggest you take a "run in" PPP wrx out for a spin.

The PPP transforms the standard WRX and the only thing I need now are better brakes and suspension set up.

You'll regret not having the PPP - I'm willing to bet my burberry cap on it

Last edited by Wakey; 11 June 2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11 June 2005, 10:30 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by philthejuggler
I wondered how others felt about the PPP.

I bought my WRX just before they brought out the free PPP offer, and wondered whether to pay and have it fitted anyway. Last week I took their demonstrator out for burn. It only had 160miles on the clock, so hadn't loosened up at all, but I could tell that it felt faster than a standard WRX. Having said that, there was something about the way it delivered the power that made it less exciting to drive - a steadier power increase rather than an acute turbo 'kick'.

Ended up deciding I liked the exhaust note & went and bought an afterburner instead (which definately has improved performance around the 4000-5000rpm mark), but decided against the PPP.

Does the PPP have the same effect on the STi, ie - Increase the speed, reduce the 'kick'. Is the PPP more impressive once the car has a few more thousand on the clock?

Thanks in advance!

Phil
the PPP transforms both, but especially the STi, which is somewhat comical as standard - pull out into roundabout with generous throttle and as much clutch slip as is prudent and that distant car nearly T- bones you due to your complete lack of progress - but wait, aha, what is that I feel - yiiiiiiiikes - takes off like a scalded whippet and virtually takes out 1/2 the next county.......

PPP - do the same and you are straight into a meaty torque, which you immediately back down from in order that an unscheduled trip abroad is to be avoided. - Then treat with serious repect in second and keep an eye on the speedo in 3rd - if you get a chance...

An STI PPP, especially on a cool damp day is genuinely frighteningly fast - with all the 'oh my g..' on boost character you can manage - and for that matter it is about as much as the front tyres can manage too....
Old 11 June 2005, 11:57 AM
XK-R
Scooby Regular

My STI 2003 model had PPP fitted from 5 miles on the clock. Depends when you ordered it,,,,
Old 11 June 2005, 12:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
, a place at Silverstone, the name of which I can't remember, and ditto for another tuner in Aylesbury.
WB
That would be WRC technologies and G-Force repsectively, I suspect.

All of those are fine, plenty of other people about too - most have advertising banners here or something for sale in scoobyshop. Not sure if Roger Clark Motorsport advertise here, but they do a lot of big power builds.

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2005, 09:35 AM
philthejuggler
Scooby Newbie

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As I said in my original post I don't think that a car with only 160 miles on it is a fair test for the PPP, but the local Subaru dealer tends to sell demonstrators before they get much above 500 miles, so trying a more mature one is probably impossible.

I suppose the crux of the matter is PPP is obviously faster, but is it somehow less exciting? A comparison I could make was a caterham I was a passenger in, which had the same 0-60 as my Scooby, I felt was less exciting because of the WAY the power was delivered - because it wasn't a turbo, it didn't kick in the same way. I've also driven some fast Jags in the XK range which certainly felt quick, and were far from boring to drive, but didn't give (the albeit short-lived) thump in the back a scooby delivers. I've seen similar comments made in M3 vs Scooby threads, with some feeling the M3 was less exciting because of it. The manager of the local Subaru garage has an STi (non PPP) and his mate has a WRX + PPP and feels that plain STi had a more exciting power delivery, but concedes that the WRX + PPP could certainly match his for pace. He is, it might be noted, considering a PPP on his STi.

Anyway, I suppose I need to find a car with a PPP on it with a few thousand miles on the clock to try. I wouldn't consider TSL333 or similar for warranty issues.

Phil

Last edited by philthejuggler; 12 June 2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12 June 2005, 10:11 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philthejuggler
I suppose the crux of the matter is PPP is obviously faster, but is it somehow less exciting?
Phil
More exciting -- no doubt about it. I have test driven a WRX with and without PPP; both had 5k+ miles on the clock. I had (almost) decided to buy one almost from the moment of turning the PPPd one on -- the sound is fantastic, though admittedly not to everyone's taste. I only drove it a few miles so can't offer a detailed assessment, but the engine felt less laggy, crisper, and there was a much greater kick in the back element than without PPP. I took one without PPP for an extended test-drive to check seat comfort, tyre noise, etc. on a long run and the engine felt a bit flat until ca. 3500 rpm; after that it certainly came alive but it wasn't as electrifyingly addictive in its delivery as with PPP.

Result: new WRX on order.

I haven't driven any of the other cars you mention, but I'd reckon that for the money the free PPP deal is definitely worth going for.
Old 12 June 2005, 10:56 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

q
I suppose the crux of the matter is PPP is obviously faster, but is it somehow less exciting?
q

You jest - PPP on the STi is so dramatic that quite genuinely if you had no back rests and had to hold onto the seat squab - you would definitely exit through the rear window when she comes on boost in 1st or 2nd - and with PPP that ferocious boost is over a wider power band - crack open the window and listen to what the outside world is experiencing - anywhere near a reflecting wall and you would swear you were driving a WRC Scoob (minus anti-lag sound) - especially during good atmospheric conditions - you simply cant stop 7k rpm sprints across country - totally addictive - ok so the Griff is far more exciting, however that is one of the reasons I use the STI every day and Griff does 1.5k miles per year....

I really cant rate the 03 STi PPP highly enough - and that is coming from someone who has a 200bhp 6 spd 306 and 300 bhp / ton Griff to choose from (no bragging - all on extended credit....) - just trying to give you my reference point.

I just cant wait for a 350 lb ft 2.5 Scoob.............