Sponsored by:

buying a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2005, 08:44 PM
alanm73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a WRX

Right im looking for some advice on buying & running a WRX.

I have a Honda Civic sport at the moment which i hate so i am looking for more performance/ better handleing 4 doors etc

So can someone asnwer the following for me,

Whats the MPG & servicing costs like?

Got a insurance quote of £640 off direct line but they want a tracker fitted, Do all insurance companies ask for this?

also im looking for a 2003/2004 model so is there anything u need to watch out for on them?

Thanks

Alan
Old 03 June 2005, 10:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

MPG can be as high as 32mpg if you regularly drive Miss Daisy, but figure on an average of 24, and as low as 17 on an enthusiastic run. Servicing varies depending on which one. At the age you're looking at, aim for one which has had its 30k, as this is the expensive one. The rest are between 150 and 300. Tracker is a common request, but try A-Plan (look in the Insurance forum for handy tips on who exactly to speak to there) and Privilege for insurance. Many cars on the 2nd hand market already have it fitted anyway. As for better handling, prepare for them not being all you expect. They are easy to bring up to a standard which befits the performance, but tend to understeer horrendously in standard form. Partly sorted by fitting better links and rear ARB, and fully sorted with decent springs, front arb/links and ALK. Aim for cars with the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) already fitted, otherwise even the performance may disappoint you, but beware that the insurance will increase with this fitted. Look for owners who can prove they've cared for the car. Files full of receipts for everything from services down to petrol (optimax) show when someone cares. Listen to the engine revved up slowly through the full range to identify any internal gremlins. Be wary (as with any car) if it's been warmed up prior to your arrival. Look for signs of modifications removed for sale (screw holes where gauges have been removed, scuffs on strut tops where braces may have been etc) Check for even tyre wear (bald outsides indicate hard cornering, bald insides indicate bad alignment), check brakes for wear to pad and or disc, and any possible warping. Make sure it idles smoothly at around 800 once warm, and watch for flat spots in acceleration at around 4k (MAF). Stay clear of cars with induction kits.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but good luck
Old 04 June 2005, 12:19 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Alan, can`t add much to what Corradoboy says, as he`s pretty much said it all, however, I`m not flaming him, but I would disagree on his feelings that a standard Scoob may disappoint in performance.

I`v recently bought a new standard WRX, and IMO the power is fantastic, everywhere, as is the handling. I`m aware of course that power is subjective, and what is sufficient for one individual is not always for another, but, having come to the Scoob from a Civic Type- R, which outperforms your Sport to a fair degree, I think you`ll be well pleased with the standard WRX.

Of course, if you aren`t...................................then follow Corradoboys advice, and you won`t go far wrong.
Old 04 June 2005, 12:39 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Once you've had PPP or more, you'll be disappointed with standard

As for the handling, with just 130 quids worth of Whiteline rear ARB and solid links the difference is staggering. Off camber roundabouts are no longer a scary proposition I can't wait to get the go-ahead from the missuse for the money to do the front ARB/links/ALK and all round springs. Much wiser spend than chasing tiny power increases

Of course, as you say, if you've never driven an uprated car then the WRX is OK in standard trim. Quick, not fast. And definately wallowy in the twisties.
Old 04 June 2005, 01:27 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Rear solid drop links are definately worth while..!

Fitted them to my 05 wrx and it's eliminated virtually all the inherent understeer to the extent that 4 wheel drifting is now easy..! Infact the only time I notice understeer now is when the roads are greasy and I'm SERIOUSLY trying to provoke it..!

I was planning on fitting a 22mm rear ARB but it really doesn't need it. Maybe the later suspension setup on the 05 has helped..?

The only other thing I would add to what has already been said is that with the new model due very soon (>05) you may want to wait as there are bound to be some excellent deals around.

Jason
Old 05 June 2005, 02:26 PM
alanm73
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the info guys, I had a test drive from my local dealer Ian Grieve in Falkirk yesterday of there 05 WRX which had only done 500 miles but it was fantastic.

I expected the car to be a bit more hardcore that it is but that suits me fine the ride though hard it didnt crash over potholes and drain covers like my Civic and was less bouncy to over poor surfaces too. As for the handling it is superb and i didnt notice any understeer just a car that wanted to go round corners and wanted more power to pull you out the other side. The power was good and even though it was new and tight according to the sales man Gavin so must be great after a few thousand miles and the brakes were fantastic too.

The Girlfriend even liked it and can see the benifit in selling the six month old civic for one so roll on July so i can start WRX shoping Yee Pee!!!!!