Sponsored by:

STi8 vs Evo FQ300

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2005, 12:30 AM
Scooby_Maxus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool STi8 vs Evo FQ300

Well I had to offer my opinion having recently test driven both cars.

STi8 - Fantastic car that was eager to please through the Revs and really seemed to benefit from shorter gears and DCCD and the remapped engine. (Gold wheels with silver paint just does not look right IMHO). However was a little worried by the smell of burning when gunned hard from a standstill. Smelled like cooking clutch to me! Brakes were good, steering was sharp and the whole car seemed planted to the road. Suspension was taught but a little harsh over the rough stuff. At the limit the car had a tendency to over steer on full throttle. Overall a completely different car to my trusty old MY01 WRX PPP. Shame about the Sti8 exhaust note (I prefer the Prodrive back box on my WRX).

However before buying, I wanted to compare against the Evo.

Evo8 FQ300 - First time in one. No turbo lag, brakes that were fade free and did not need a lot of effort for rapid descents. The exhaust note was great, more of a growl than the usual scoob burble. Interior was much roomier, especial for rear passengers. I like the interior trim parts, but the thing that really stood out for me was the way the engine delivers its power and the way transmission and differentials put the power down onto the road. Any corner, any power setting and the car just dug in and delivered. Well a mannered and seemingly no vices at the limit. Wow!

So after 3+ years as a scooby owner, I have been tempted over to the dark side...........Evil Evo here I come!
Old 28 May 2005, 12:34 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

bet you get a good deal on an 8 with then 9 out next month
Old 28 May 2005, 12:50 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the JDM STi, its a better car than the uk STi, no lag (similar setup to the evo) and power from 1k upwards

Tony
Old 28 May 2005, 06:26 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Those few engine faults you pointed out can be leveled out with an ECUTEK remap and a couple more ££ spent and you can be out performing the FQ300.

If you can get an amazing deal on the scooby and get them down a couple £k, you can use that to get it to equal or out perform the FQ300.

Saying that i know what your saying, my STi and my mates FQ320. SO SIMLAR, but his still has that bit more up top end.
Old 28 May 2005, 02:10 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Good choice maxus, a superior car all round.You wont look back.
Old 28 May 2005, 03:02 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

But the evo 8 will be the old shape evo when the 9 comes out in the next couple of months, the scooby has at least another year until they release a new shape. But if your not bothered about not having the new evo then go for it, but if you wait a few months im sure the prices of the 8 will drop quite a bit and there should be some bargains.