Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blobeye wrx vīs late classic (both UK)

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2005, 06:24 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blobeye wrx vīs late classic (both UK)

trying to decide which of these cars i should get but am really torn between the both.

i assume there has been a thread once upon a time with a comparrison between both, could anyone point one out as i cant find one.

the main points i want to know for both are:

0-60
0-100
mpg. ive heard of 28mpg at best on classic, are the heavier blobeyes thirstier?
bhp & torque & bhp/ton
reliability, newer models more reliable?
do blobeyes have better security? either have cat 1 alarm as standard?
service part price comparisons?
do the newer wrxīs have better interior than the bland classic?
is a PPPīed wrx going to be quicker than classic
when do most folk think the classic will actually become a classic and prices hold steady

basically ive heard the classics are faster, give better bhp and torque and also are cheap-ish to run due to widespread availibility of parts. also that it cant be long before it attains proper classic status and values will hold. can anyone advise on those statements?

sorry for all the questions but im trying to do as much homework as possible now. unfortunately im not 25 until august so most garages wont give me a test drive until then.

thanks
Old 21 May 2005, 06:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Classics cost more to run due to the 6 monthly service intervals v the 1 yr on the blob eye, as for performance, possably absolutely nothing in it, the ppp wrx will have an advantage over a ppp's 99/00 though as they have a different variant of the same turbo and its been mapped differently.
If you want the better car, the blob eye is the one to go for.

Tony (blob eye'd STi owner, from MY00 PPP'd classic)
Old 21 May 2005, 06:44 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Its quite simple the new age scoobies are better in every way!!

Cookstar ( 02 WRX owner )
Old 21 May 2005, 06:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The late Classic is the only way to go ................

Could you live with yourself owning one of the ugliest cars ever devised by man???

CLASSIC!! faster too!!

Pete
Old 21 May 2005, 06:52 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Sorry but the P.T cruiser will always hold that title.
Old 21 May 2005, 07:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Sorry but the P.T cruiser will always hold that title.
Agreed ......... but, I did say 'ONE OF' and indeed it is!!

Pete
Old 21 May 2005, 07:16 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Classic = 1250kg approx
Newage = 1400kg approx

The same turbo,and the same engine.
Is the chassis real that much better to over come it's weight ???

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2005, 07:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
Classic = 1250kg approx
Newage = 1400kg approx

The same turbo,and the same engine.
Is the chassis real that much better to over come it's weight ???
Ah its not quite the same turbo and its not quite the same engine
Also you have aerodynamics that give the new age car a better advantage, plus tbh, i loved my MY00 classic, but the new age is a much better all round car.

Tony
Old 21 May 2005, 07:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As to my 03 WRX PPP.

MPG - Best I managed was 32.75 on a 350 mile motorway run, driving like Miss Daisy. Average more like 25, or high teens when out for some fun.
Security - Cat 1 alarm/immob as standard. Immobilisor is a key fob transponder linked to the ECU, so to drive it away you MUST have the key. Many cars have been fitted with tracking units on the request of insurers, and STi's have RAC Trackstar as standard. Can be towed/lifted Worth backing it up with Blackjax IMHO.
Performance - With PPP Prodrive quote 4.8s to 62 and 155mph. 261bhp and 255 lb/ft (IIRC). I think that will do for now Classics IMHO often feel faster due to the more urgent delivery from the turbo.
Handling - The WRX is set up as a fast family car, and as such has understeer built into it's set-up as a safety precaution. It is pretty easy and cheap to modify the suspension to get rid of this. The chassis was quoted as being 200% more rigid than classics on the launch of the bugeye. If you want a fast sports car then look at STi's (or better ) but again, these can be improved with some minor suspension revisions.
Interior - Much better in the new-age cars, but still nowhere near German standards.
Reliability - All very good if serviced properly, and driven with mechanical sympathy (warm up, cool down, keep below 6k rpm) but any blobeye you buy may still be in warranty.
Old 21 May 2005, 10:42 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I asked this question a few weeks ago and got a mixture of responses,in the end I traded in my 98 classic for an 02 wrx and I would never go back.The newer car is so much more refined and comfortable and the power seems to come in much lower down making the car feel quicker in most situations even if on paper the classic is faster mine just didn't feel it.The interior is also a nicer place to be and I will probably be shot down in flames for saying this but apart from the headlights I thing the newer car is better looking(Dan now dives for cover)
The headlights almost put me off buying one but luckily I managed to source some UK300 lights which are a huge improvement as are Morrettes.
Old 22 May 2005, 12:01 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Gents, I`m very new to Scoobies, and have a newly acquired MY05 WRX.

I`ve been reading this thread with interest, and I don`t wish to hijack it, but, if anybody has nothing better to do at this precise moment, could you post a pic of what you guys refer to as a "classic" ? Thanks in anticipation..........
Old 22 May 2005, 12:17 AM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Classic made from 92-00, bug eye 00-02, blob eye 02-

My STi IV (classic)
Old 22 May 2005, 12:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

This is a blob eye, but its an STi not WRX
http://www.daz5008.co.uk/images/Tony-Subaru.jpg

Tony
Old 22 May 2005, 12:36 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Ahh, now I see, thanks for taking the time both RoRu and Tony Burns, it`s much appreciated.

I was aware of what the blobeye (mine) and the bugeye looked like, but, as I say, I wasn`t quite sure about the "classic".

Anyway, now I have the knowledge..................so thanks again gents.
Old 22 May 2005, 12:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Classic is just another way of refering to things as being old

Tony
Old 22 May 2005, 12:56 AM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Classic is just another way of refering to things as being old

Tony

LOL (at classic tony)

OBG (Oldie But Goodie)
Old 22 May 2005, 01:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoRu
LOL (at classic tony)

OBG (Oldie But Goodie)
Well its true, classic coke, was well classic lol
classical music, ie old in most cases
classic film, normally something from the 40's
Classic, means old

Tony
Old 22 May 2005, 01:38 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anskills
trying to decide which of these cars i should get but am really torn between the both.
Out of interest, is your budget allowing you to purchase a Classic quite comfortably, but you could just stretch to one of the Bug-eyes..? If so, getting as much for your money is key IMHO. There's no point in paying more for a newer shape if you might have to settle for higher mileage or poorer condition.

I'm lucky -- my wife drives a UK MY01 WRX and I've got a UK MY00 Classic. Both share the same engine (and both standard), have changed back boxes, but where mine's on 16in wheels the wife's running on a set of 18s. I've driven both enough to know which I prefer -- my Classic.

In no particular order... the service interval is every 7,500 miles for a Classic and 10,000 for the new-age. If the Classic has no warranty though then this could easily be moved to 10K too. The new-age has more padding and sound deadening... the Classic is a bit more rattly and noisy but only in comparison (it's no Ford Fiesta.) The Classic is lighter so with identical power output will be slightly quicker. A PPP'd new-age might generate more torque but it still carries more weight and negates any advantage.

I find the wife's suspension on her WRX is softer than on my Classic (where MY99/00's was in line with the STi's) so it rolls a bit and 'boings' a little under breaking. I can get 330 miles from a tank of Optimax easily whereas the WRX is only good for 280-300 at a push. Air-con on Classics was optional -- new-age models get air-con as standard and if you're lucky it might also have climate control. Sports bucket seats are standard on the late Classics (97+) but not on the bugs and 98-00 models get white dials.

The ICE acoustic quality in my Classic sounds better than the wife's car (where the rear speakers sit on my shelf, but in her rear doors.) The interior is naturally more modern and more aesthetically pleasing in the new-age. Friends of mine have also commented that the Classic's nose looks more sporty than that of the bug-eye.

Ideally what you want to do is go for some 'passenger laps' in some owners cars, so you can compare the feel and ride for yourself. Then when it comes to purchase time, ensure you get as much for your money as you can (getting a Classic if you can get a much better example.)

Hope this helps.

Jonts.
Old 22 May 2005, 04:11 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

some excellent info there thanks. my budget originally 7-7.5k but i would stretch to 8.5k if the perfect car came up. i had settled on a classic then noticed on autotrader that 02 wrxīs are actually not much more and generally have small warranties left and lower miles. as well as all the other factors i think i may be more sensible to buy the newer bugeye (sorry i said blob eye before), not too mention the insurance is a decent bit cheaper. i had an amazing quote for a an sti wrx but could not afford to buy one on my budget unfortunately.

going to nip into a subaru dealers on the way home from spain (internet cafe at the moment) and hopefully get more info and maybe a ride in at least a wrx. ive been in a few pals modded classics so know what to expect but not sure what im comparing it to yet
Old 22 May 2005, 05:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Hiya,

I think with that budget your looking at the bugeye (slightly slower than the blobeye, as it has around 10bhp less) or a late classic, not the blobeye mate.

Having driven a 04WRX an 04WRX sti and a MY99 nearly back to back I can confirm the following.

1) The newer cars feel much more contemporary and a step up in terms of interior quality and especially refinement. The ride on a WRX is exceptional given the performance.

2) The classic is more exciting, agressive and rawer! Personally, I found that the classic -performance wise- subjectively had more in common with the WRX Sti than the std WRX.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. Neither will be cheap to run or insure! Differences will be fairly nominal; basically- it'll cost ya! :-)

NS04

NS04
Old 24 May 2005, 08:01 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

just come back from the dealers and am swaying greatly in favour of the classic again. to be honest the wrx wasnt in a nice colour and not great condition but i just spent most of the time swooning over the classic. it also had standard seats as opposed to the lovely buckets in the classic. ill need to find a nicer and better spec wrx out there somewhere
Old 24 May 2005, 08:14 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

I bought my very late classic (registered new 2001) about 2 years ago, i could have gone the bugeye route, tried them both yes the bugeye was a more refined car nicer interior etc, but it just didn't float my boat.It just didn't feel as quick as the classic both were standard cars.
I really didn't and still don't like the headlights and it wasn't the car i'd aspired to own the classic was thats why i bought it and still have it
Old 24 May 2005, 08:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

just come back from the dealers and am swaying greatly in favour of the classic again. to be honest the wrx wasnt in a nice colour and not great condition but i just spent most of the time swooning over the classic. it also had standard seats as opposed to the lovely buckets in the classic. ill need to find a nicer and better spec wrx out there somewhere
The 05 WRX has good seats.

If you are looking at a Bug-Eye ..... then the Classic is by FAR superior!

Subaru are, just now, with the Blob-Eye of 2005 vintage and with PPP getting close to the Classic in good looks and in pure driving pleasure - Subaru lost the plot between 2001 and 2004.

Find yourself a MY00 Classic and you will have the best Impreza ever devised by man .........

Unless, you buy a new one with the free PPP that is!!

Pete
Old 24 May 2005, 08:26 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

In one of your previous posts you commented that you'd gun for a bug-eye because it'd have some warranty left. Don't forget that if you purchase a Proven used car from Subaru that it'll come with at least 12 months, so you could still go for a Classic if it's gonna make the best of your money. It's what I did in January.

Happy hunting.

Jonts.
Old 24 May 2005, 08:50 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

the one i looked at today actually came with a proven 1 year warranty. it was x plate saloon in mica blue with 45 000 miles and FDSH with recent cambelt change, 2 owners from new and trade in by regular customer for UK300, 1 years MOT, standard apart from lexus lights. they were asking Ģ9999 ono, i think they would have let it go for Ģ9k cash deal. not sure if the warranty and peace of mind is worth the extra Ģ1.5k more than i would expect to pay for similar model in private sale. i will keep an eye on it and see if it sells or not
Old 24 May 2005, 09:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

the one i looked at today actually came with a proven 1 year warranty. it was x plate saloon in mica blue with 45 000 miles and FDSH with recent cambelt change, 2 owners from new and trade in by regular customer for UK300, 1 years MOT, standard apart from lexus lights. they were asking Ģ9999 ono, i think they would have let it go for Ģ9k cash deal. not sure if the warranty and peace of mind is worth the extra Ģ1.5k more than i would expect to pay for similar model in private sale. i will keep an eye on it and see if it sells or not
I went from Classic to Blobeye WRX it's like Mk1 Golf GTi to Mk2 GTi. You love em both for different reasons.

Old 24 May 2005, 10:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

If Blue Dragons photos don't convince you that a Classic is the only way to go, then I don't know what will.

No offence meant at all ...... just the Classic looks so much better IMHO

Pete
Old 24 May 2005, 10:15 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

i actually think that bugeye looks fapping ace! it would need to look like that to even tempt me slightly though!

Last edited by anskills; 24 May 2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 10:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thats a BUG EYE isn't it????

Pete
Old 24 May 2005, 10:56 PM
anskills
Scooby Regular

sorry keep typing the wrong one for some reason, i meant bug eye throughout this whole thread where ive said blob eye

Quick Reply: blobeye wrx vīs late classic (both UK)