Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone been tempted by a Forrester STI?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 07:04 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone been tempted by a Forrester STI?

Thinking about one as family bus, if I do go for a Porker I will need something sensible-ish as well!
Old 16 May 2005, 07:20 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Good idea, makes a great family car. Which Porker did you have in mind - you'd need to make sure it was one that could out-accelerate the Forester or it could be confusing...
Old 16 May 2005, 07:58 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
Thinking about one as family bus, if I do go for a Porker I will need something sensible-ish as well!
Yeah, maybe if I lived in Arizona or the Australian outback where u only want 2 go as fast as possible in a reasonably straight line!
(And apparently Foresters r immensely popular in rural Australia!)
Having said that, I really liked my Forester XT & as a kids/dogs/ponies car it was unsurpassed.
However, at the end of the day, it IS still an SUV, it DOES suffer from a certain amount of bodyroll & it is NEVER going to corner like an Impreza!
We went 2 test drive the 2.5 XT but decided at the last minute not 2 even bother & bought an 05 Impreza ST1 instead!
Having driven the XT, I can't see how sticking a more powerful engine in it can do anything but worsen the "problems" it already has, so no, I guess I wouldn't have the STi version either but I'd have another XT for sure!
I really think the XT is as much as the chassis etc can really cope with reasonably happily but I'm prepared 2 b shouted down by the 20 of u who think differently?

Last edited by ScoobyAddict; 16 May 2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Missed out a word
Old 16 May 2005, 08:19 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

We have a Forester STi as does Ricardo who also posts here and he will join me in saying go for it as it is the best alround family car there is with the capability to embarrass many performance car drivers.

ScoobyAddict...I think you should drive a Forester STi as with the Miltek and remap you get 320bhp and 330lbs torque, it also sits 28mm lower than standard with STi running gear, 18" wheels and Brembo brakes. In the lastest edition of "Evo" it is compared directly with a 05 Impreza UK STi PPP and the concensus was go for the Forester!!!!!!!!!!

Mog
Old 16 May 2005, 08:34 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
We have a Forester STi as does Ricardo who also posts here and he will join me in saying go for it as it is the best alround family car there is with the capability to embarrass many performance car drivers.

ScoobyAddict...I think you should drive a Forester STi as with the Miltek and remap you get 320bhp and 330lbs torque, it also sits 28mm lower than standard with STi running gear, 18" wheels and Brembo brakes. In the lastest edition of "Evo" it is compared directly with a 05 Impreza UK STi PPP and the concensus was go for the Forester!!!!!!!!!!

Mog
Dammit, made the wrong choice again, eh?
And I can only fit 4 bales of horse bedding in the Impreza (shock, horror, wot a way 2 treat a nice car & all that!) & even with just 1 in the boot, it handles like a barge!
Seriously though, I did have serious doubts about the 2.5XT, how would say that would compare 2 the STi version, handling wise especially?
Also if u turn up with a Forester STi at your local Scooby garage, don't they treat u like u have anthrax or something?
Old 16 May 2005, 08:51 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyAddict
Dammit, made the wrong choice again, eh?
And I can only fit 4 bales of horse bedding in the Impreza (shock, horror, wot a way 2 treat a nice car & all that!) & even with just 1 in the boot, it handles like a barge!
Seriously though, I did have serious doubts about the 2.5XT, how would say that would compare 2 the STi version, handling wise especially?
Also if u turn up with a Forester STi at your local Scooby garage, don't they treat u like u have anthrax or something?
If you go to Japfest on Saturday Iain Litchfield is tracking his Forester STI demo car...should be very entertaining.
As for my local Subaru dealer they are very helpful and usually are on their knees and bowing down when they know I'm coming.........

Mog
Old 16 May 2005, 09:04 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

However, at the end of the day, it IS still an SUV, it DOES suffer from a certain amount of bodyroll & it is NEVER going to corner like an Impreza!
We went 2 test drive the 2.5 XT but decided at the last minute not 2 even bother & bought an 05 Impreza ST1 instead!
Having driven the XT, I can't see how sticking a more powerful engine in it can do anything but worsen the "problems" it already has, so no, I guess I wouldn't have the STi version either but I'd have another XT for sure!
The 'problems' the XT has are the tiny wheels and big squidgy tyres, plus suspension intended for muddy fields. Since the STi has STi suspension and the 18" wheels it doesn't really have much in common handling-wise with the XT at all.

It isn't an SUV either - it is usually considered to be a wagon !
Old 16 May 2005, 09:12 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I'm more than happy with my 2.5XT. I traded my WR1 in for it and find it a better everyday car for the type of driving we do.

I was tempted with the Forester STi but in the end we felt it wasn't really subtle enough and the spec was a little low for the type of car i wanted. The running costs (mainly insurance as i'm under 30 and my missus is under 25) would be rather high.

Having said that you should certainly go and test drive one!
Old 16 May 2005, 09:32 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
The 'problems' the XT has are the tiny wheels and big squidgy tyres, plus suspension intended for muddy fields. Since the STi has STi suspension and the 18" wheels it doesn't really have much in common handling-wise with the XT at all.

It isn't an SUV either - it is usually considered to be a wagon !
So I didn't get it completely wrong by choosing the Impreza STi over the 2.5XT?
2 b honest, I didn't realise at the time that there WAS such a thing as a Forester STi!
And yes, even with the 2.0XT, those disgusting Geosquealers let the whole car down!
I DO kinda miss the "sneak up behind 'em & give 'em the shock of their life" aspect of the Forester, u definitely can't do that with an Impreza!
I wish I was richer, then I could have both!
Old 16 May 2005, 09:56 PM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
I'm more than happy with my 2.5XT. I traded my WR1 in for it and find it a better everyday car for the type of driving we do.

I was tempted with the Forester STi but in the end we felt it wasn't really subtle enough and the spec was a little low for the type of car i wanted. The running costs (mainly insurance as i'm under 30 and my missus is under 25) would be rather high.

Having said that you should certainly go and test drive one!
Glad u like your 2.5XT, hope your not offended by my previous post- wasn't slagging off car, like I said, never actually drove one so can't really comment!
We all have different requirements I guess!
Didn't bother test driving an Impreza STi for ages due 2 all the reviews that seemed to judge it as unsuitable 4 an everyday car...the ride was too hard, it was too raw & harsh 4 everyday use, blah, blah, blah...
What a load of plop, we've had ours since November, it's done 13,000 miles & we love it 2 bits!
Town, motorway, country lanes, it takes 'em all in it's stride & never flinches!
Old 16 May 2005, 10:04 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

So I didn't get it completely wrong by choosing the Impreza STi over the 2.5XT?
Nope, you can't really get it wrong, it simply depends on what you want.

The Forester XT has a devoted following, as does the Impreza STi, based on different requirements.
The Forester STi simply takes the space and convenience of the XT and the pace, gearbox and running gear of the STi (but with more power and torque) and combines them into something else.

Yes, the insurance is higher, but mine hasn't attracted a second glance so far so it seems sufficiently stealthy if that is a requirement...
Old 16 May 2005, 10:07 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Glad u like your 2.5XT, hope your not offended by my previous post- wasn't slagging off car, like I said, never actually drove one so can't really comment!
We all have different requirements I guess!
Didn't bother test driving an Impreza STi for ages due 2 all the reviews that seemed to judge it as unsuitable 4 an everyday car...the ride was too hard, it was too raw & harsh 4 everyday use, blah, blah, blah...
What a load of plop, we've had ours since November, it's done 13,000 miles & we love it 2 bits!
Town, motorway, country lanes, it takes 'em all in it's stride & never flinches!
Not at all offended. I'm going to be adding a PPP and bigger wheels anyway, just to polish off a basically good car.
Old 17 May 2005, 07:33 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folks.
I guess I should also try an XT2.5 as well, may suit us...
Ian Litchfield's will be on my list of places to visit. Dont think I can get to Japfest unfortunatly.
ricardo - as for the porker, a 996 C4S or possibly GT3 are the most likely choice at the moment.
Old 17 May 2005, 07:46 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input folks.
I guess I should also try an XT2.5 as well, may suit us...
Certainly comfy, and fast with it.
ricardo - as for the porker, a 996 C4S or possibly GT3 are the most likely choice at the moment.
So you'll definitely need something else for things from B&Q and bikes 'n stuff...

Try both, they are very different Foresters.