Sponsored by:

Scooby build quality debate

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2005, 02:31 PM
yoblet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby build quality debate

Mate of mine's got a wagon and he says it rattles and squeaks so much inside that they must have had no money left to do anything quality inside.

I reckon there are different opinions on this. Down the pub this guy was saying he reckons they are better built than a Rolls Royce, but then this girl said they are cheap and plastic like all Japanese family cars.

Does it matter how good they are inside? It's supposed to be a performance car innit?

Opinions please as I'm thinking of getting one when my nan leaves me some money.
Old 06 May 2005, 02:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by yoblet
Mate of mine's got a wagon and he says it rattles and squeaks so much inside that they must have had no money left to do anything quality inside.

I reckon there are different opinions on this. Down the pub this guy was saying he reckons they are better built than a Rolls Royce, but then this girl said they are cheap and plastic like all Japanese family cars.

Does it matter how good they are inside? It's supposed to be a performance car innit?

Opinions please as I'm thinking of getting one when my nan leaves me some money.
As you said, it's a performance car!! Who gives a flying gaboon about the interior!!

Also, I think two issues are being confused here: Interior asthetics and Build quality. It's certainly fair to say that the interiors of the classic Scoobies are not particularly pleasing to the eye (doesn't bother me in the least- they are certainly not offensive). However, my car is now the best part of 6 years old and there is not a single squeak or rattle. Therefore, I'd say the build quality was pretty damn good . Individual cars will vary though, as they will with any brand!

NS04
Old 06 May 2005, 02:46 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Mine's a symphony, as I pointed out earlier. (eek, eek, bzzzzz, rumble). I believe it was the inspiration for U2's "Rattle and Hum".
Old 06 May 2005, 03:01 PM
jl4069
Scooby Regular

Default I'm afraid time has moved on

I'm afraid that time has moved on. The scooby is of the same generation basically as the previous generation golf at best. I'm not saying that this really affects the handling all that much- I mean just drive an old audi UrQ or MK2 Golf or Peugeot 205, or M3 and you can easily tell that chassis rigidity does not mean nearly as much as the engineers would have us believe. But for me the big issue is of crash protection and this is where having a major company with a large budget really helps. The bottom line is that Fuji Heavy industries and General Motors- who owns a large %, are both not doing too well and do not have the money to create the kind of build quality as the latest generation VW-group , BMW, MB products, and even French autos- due to the French Gov providing support. And indeed I believe that this is why BMW is now the most profitable maker of Autos; no body wants so so build quality, and so Ford, GM, Saab, (most Volvos), Vauxhall, Mitsubishi, and Subaru are all in big trouble. With manufacturers like Toyota, and Nissan making there way on very high reliability, and low cost. Now just imagine if Fuji industries did have those budgets.
Old 06 May 2005, 03:07 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

When people say about the quality of the interior, I just say that a good quality interior does not win World Rallies. All of the money is spent on a well engineered performance car.
Old 06 May 2005, 03:33 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

I remember stepping into my first scoob. Impressions were average interior, cheap looking etc. Then the keys were handed over to me. WOW!! All of a sudden i forgot about interior quality, and have never looked back since.
Old 06 May 2005, 03:41 PM
yoblet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billsandhu
I remember stepping into my first scoob. Impressions were average interior, cheap looking etc. Then the keys were handed over to me. WOW!! All of a sudden i forgot about interior quality, and have never looked back since.
So they've got rubbish interiors, but a really nice set of keys?

Everyone here seems to be saying they are not built very well, except NS04.

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2005, 03:51 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

So would it be comparable to buying a ladyboy, the build quality isn't quite what you are used to, but once your inside and going like the clappers, the bodywork becomes secondary ?
Old 06 May 2005, 03:55 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Ive got a K reg, wrx. previously, i had a J plate Celica .... i think the build, and finish quality of the Celica would knock spots off the scoob, and the interior i think is far better on the eye, but i bought the scoob because of what is under the bonnet....

Frank
Old 06 May 2005, 04:04 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by lightning101
So would it be comparable to buying a ladyboy, the build quality isn't quite what you are used to, but once your inside and going like the clappers, the bodywork becomes secondary ?
PMSL... I'll take your word for it.
Old 06 May 2005, 05:39 PM
wrxsandy
Scooby Newbie

My car previous to my WRX was an Audi A3. It had more rattles and knocks than the Scoob will ever have. It spent more time at the dealers trying to sort than it did on the road.
Old 06 May 2005, 06:21 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Get an 05..!
Old 06 May 2005, 06:21 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

My MY03 WRX has a reasonable interior but does rattle and squeak - this weeks task sorting them all
Old 06 May 2005, 09:03 PM
Mikkk
Scooby Regular

Your money goes on performance and handling with a Scoob ... if you want a quality interior then look elsewhere (and expect to pay appropriately for it if you want performance and handling as well). On a good piece of tarmac a Rolls Royce is sublime for comfort and the quality is hard to falter, but you pay a hefty margin for it (the same is true for the better Mercs, BMWs and other luxury marques).

If you're after a Scoob then I assume the performance is primary, with comfort and build quality secondary. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the Scoob down. Nothing's fallen off mine yet (MY03 STi), no rattle or squeaks (touch wood) have developed in 18 months and I find it perfectly comfortable, but perhaps I'm fortunate. I enjoy it for the drive ... pure and simple

Last edited by Mikkk; 07 May 2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06 May 2005, 09:35 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Yep - agree with all of the above - mine has been bomb proof coming up for 2 years old - only car I've ever had with no faults needing fixed!

Great.

Brian
Old 06 May 2005, 09:58 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

I have a 98 uk car interior quite squeaky. Only had car just over 2 years when i saw the interior nearly put me off.

Then got handed the keys for a test drive and quickly forgot about it. Still laugh at the sales mans face when out in it. Looked quite ill thought he was going to be sick. I was amazed by the performance of the car, could not even begin to describe it afterwards. Was hooked from their on in, broke the bank to get it insured but worth it

Dont pay much attention to the interior to busy driving you dont really notice.

just my 2ps worth.