Sponsored by:

Decat

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 11:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Decat

I'm a little confused, I was told it was illegal to have a completely decatted exhaust system, it would fail the MOT and if caught you face prison ??

Any shed some light on this issue for me ?
Old 05 May 2005, 11:20 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I'm a little confused, I was told it was illegal to have a completely decatted exhaust system, it would fail the MOT and if caught you face prison ??

Any shed some light on this issue for me ?
A full decat would render your car non road legal as it would not pass the MOT emissions test. You would certainly not be thrown in jail though!! LOL

If you were pulled and fail the roadside emissions test you would be issued with a form requiring you to make the car road legal again within 7 or 14(?) days. You'd go to the MOT station, get them to replace the centre catted pipe, pass the emissions test and Bob's your uncle! Of course, if you were to put the decat centre back on, who's to know!

NS04
Old 05 May 2005, 11:23 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your car has to pass the emissions test to pass the MOT. All new cars have to have a CAT fitted, as dictated by law. Most Scoobys will still pass without the CAT. You could do as stated above and put on on for the MOT, then take it off again. Its a pain though. I have a full-decat and no problems so far.

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 05 May 2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05 May 2005, 12:12 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I think you should probably change that to "most or even all scoobies would fail their MOT without a cat" The whole point of cats is to reduce harmful emissions. There wouldn't be any point in them if you could pass emissions test without them.
Old 05 May 2005, 01:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rossyboy scoobs have two cats though. Posters are saying if you remove ONE, ie the centre cat, then its likely to still pass.
Old 05 May 2005, 01:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There wouldn't be any point in them if you could pass emissions test without them
That's not really true, though, is it.

The emissions limits for ESVA and (presumably) EU Type Approval are much stricter than the MOT limits. Therefore, most new cars will in practise be producing levels of pollutants far lower than those permitted by the MOT regulations, which is a good thing.

As engines wear they get dirtier, eating into the margin allowed for by the MOT regs. So, a new car might well pass with a cat removed, but you'll always be producing emissions consistent with an older, well worn engine, and there may come a point when you'll need the cat to pass at all.
Old 05 May 2005, 01:17 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Does this mean that those cars fitted with a PPP decat run the risk of failing MOT's?

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
That's not really true, though, is it.

The emissions limits for ESVA and (presumably) EU Type Approval are much stricter than the MOT limits. Therefore, most new cars will in practise be producing levels of pollutants far lower than those permitted by the MOT regulations, which is a good thing.

As engines wear they get dirtier, eating into the margin allowed for by the MOT regs. So, a new car might well pass with a cat removed, but you'll always be producing emissions consistent with an older, well worn engine, and there may come a point when you'll need the cat to pass at all.

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2005, 01:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by HOWY
Does this mean that those cars fitted with a PPP decat run the risk of failing MOT's?
Doubtful mate, as doesn't the PPP remove/replace the centre cat with a sports cat, which is the secondary one. The bigger one is in the down pipe which, AFAIK, isn't affected by the PPP.

IIRC the new age cars have 3 cats, the classics have 2

NS04
Old 05 May 2005, 01:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right ok, well I dont have the skills to add remove bits of my exhaust (sadly)
So...
Old 05 May 2005, 01:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Right ok, well I dont have the skills to add remove bits of my exhaust (sadly)
So...
A garage can replace the centre pipe in not much time at all mate. For example. Xtreme Scoobies offer an "MOT with Cats" option where they fit the catted centre and then refit your original after the MOT for only £20 more than a std MOT. If you're not in the SE. I'm sure they're not the only ones to offer this service. Start a thread with a location request.

Problem solved!

Best,

NS04
Old 05 May 2005, 03:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Not immediately, no. But, as they get older and the engines wear, they will be closer to the limit than if all cats were still in place. They'll also be producing more toxic pollutants all the time, which may or may not bother you.
Old 05 May 2005, 03:13 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Just for confirmation I was talking about all cats being removed as the original question stated fully de-catted. I'm aware that you can pass with the centre or down-pipe cat being out.

I can see the point about newer cars, but then by the time you need an MOT it will be 3 years old and already producing a fair bit more toxic stuff than when you drove it out of the showroom

I have yet to hear of someone legitimately passing an emissions test at MOT (ie at a "un-friendly garage") with no cats in place on here, though I may have missed some somewhere along the line.

Last edited by rossyboy; 05 May 2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05 May 2005, 03:34 PM
kayeabl
Scooby Regular

Default MOT Pass

What you guys say about the emissions is all true, just a note though, my classic running PPP and full decat passed the emission testing easily at two different stations for the last two years. I have a TSL downpipe and HKS centre and rear box

Cheers

Ash