Sponsored by:

STI 5 Type R v 2003 STI UK spec

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 08:54 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 5 Type R v 2003 STI UK spec

Sorry for another versus question but was wondering how the two would compare.

The Type r being a good few grand cheaper than the 03 uk spec etc.

Has the softer british market moved on and the STI uk spec is better because its newer and updated???

Or has the tYpe R still got more to offer??

If i can save myself a good £8000 and get a two door i would be a happy man

Opinions please before i go EVo tistickle

Cheers
Dave
Old 30 April 2005, 09:52 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I had a 2004 UK STI try and have a bit of a play at the end of my Tek3 mapping session in my STI5 Type R a few weeks ago. There wasn't a huge difference in performance but he definately couldn't keep up let alone pass, on a strait run from a roundabout up about 3 miles of dual carriageway he was slipping further and further behind all of the time.

Which was nice.

A new UK STI will be quite a bit heavier than a Type R, plus the Type R's lower gearing helps too of course.
Old 30 April 2005, 09:56 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I had a 2004 UK STI try and have a bit of a play at the end of my Tek3 mapping session in my STI5 Type R a few weeks ago. There wasn't a huge difference in performance but he definately couldn't keep up let alone pass, on a strait run from a roundabout up about 3 miles of dual carriageway he was slipping further and further behind all of the time.

Which was nice.

A new UK STI will be quite a bit heavier than a Type R, plus the Type R's lower gearing helps too of course.

So it looks like im going to be saving myself £8000 for modding
Old 30 April 2005, 10:00 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The Type R definately has the edge in the number of creaks and rattles, plus being 5 years old my diff and gearbox are making all sorts or clunking and crunching noises. So it's not totally clear cut, depends whether you can put up with an 'old' car - i suspect the newer STI will be 'nicer' to drive day-to-day.
Old 30 April 2005, 10:01 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Dave, the STi5 is an awesome bit of kit. Was talking to Bob Rawle about his as he has both, and agreed that the 5 has it all really. Ok, its old hat now really, but I think its a lot more rewarding as its so raw. You can drift it and feel everything going on, which I doubt on the new STi...

But, if you want big power an EVO is much netter setup from stock. Rather tempted by a 6 next!

MB
Old 30 April 2005, 10:05 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Dave, the STi5 is an awesome bit of kit. Was talking to Bob Rawle about his as he has both, and agreed that the 5 has it all really. Ok, its old hat now really, but I think its a lot more rewarding as its so raw. You can drift it and feel everything going on, which I doubt on the new STi...

But, if you want big power an EVO is much netter setup from stock. Rather tempted by a 6 next!

MB
I must say im very tempted with an E6 as well.

i'm exploring every avenue on it though because the service periods on the Evo put me off!!
Old 30 April 2005, 10:09 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

That and the small fuel tank! I still think its the way forward though. A lot less character than a scoob but the rarity of it attracts me. The classic scoob has a dodgy image (not that its ever put me off) where the EVO is very rare.

You could do the interims yourself as an option? That my plan if I do end up in one.

It seems like few few tweaks get a genuine 360 / 370 bhp which you couldn't entertain on a classic scoob without an IC / turbo / injectors / pump upgrade. Depends if power is the aim?

MB
Old 30 April 2005, 10:18 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
That and the small fuel tank! I still think its the way forward though. A lot less character than a scoob but the rarity of it attracts me. The classic scoob has a dodgy image (not that its ever put me off) where the EVO is very rare.

You could do the interims yourself as an option? That my plan if I do end up in one.

It seems like few few tweaks get a genuine 360 / 370 bhp which you couldn't entertain on a classic scoob without an IC / turbo / injectors / pump upgrade. Depends if power is the aim?

MB
Power's always the aim!!

like you say spose i could do the oil changes myself etc.

Ive honestly been like a kid in a candy shop the last couple of weeks ive gone from Evo to Scoob and even been toying with gettin a exige LOL
Old 30 April 2005, 10:20 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Mmm, exige... Not got Jap reliability though... Ive had a lot of scoobs, and great as they are the spec isnt as good as the EVO - just dont know if I could step away!

MB
Old 30 April 2005, 10:32 AM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i also toyed between and evo5/6 and an sti5, bought the type r and am so glad i did.

still look at evos but am glad i chose the 2 door!!
Old 30 April 2005, 10:44 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Turbo Dave

How many miles will you do in your car?? I do 20k miles a year and run a P1 which is just about managable - means a service every 5 months. But if I had an EVO doing that mileage then I'd need a service every 2 to 3 months (scary...)

Why not take the plunge and get one for 6 months and then change for the other after that - then you'll get best of both worlds
Old 30 April 2005, 11:04 AM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
Turbo Dave

How many miles will you do in your car?? I do 20k miles a year and run a P1 which is just about managable - means a service every 5 months. But if I had an EVO doing that mileage then I'd need a service every 2 to 3 months (scary...)

Why not take the plunge and get one for 6 months and then change for the other after that - then you'll get best of both worlds
The way i go through cars it would'nt suprise me if it was just for 6 months!!

Ive promised myself i will try to keep what im getting for a lot longer this time

I spose i would be doing about 15000 miles per year max so i guess i could cope with the servicing
Old 30 April 2005, 11:54 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If power, handling and a newer car is your aim maybe you should look at a Spec C.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 30 April 2005, 12:07 PM
Turbo Dave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
If power, handling and a newer car is your aim maybe you should look at a Spec C.

Regards,
Shaun.
The trouble is if i've looked at the Spec c but my pocket would need some heavy modding to accomodate one of them