Sponsored by:

Keeping the Scoob!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 01:48 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Keeping the Scoob!

I recently thought about selling my Scoob http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=418574 but a few factors have made me change my mind!! Thanks and goodluck to those who PM'd and emailed.

The second hand market for classics is now saturated, it took me months to find the ideal car but when i look on here or Autotrader now there are loads of well looked after, enthusiast owned cars that i would buy. It makes far more sense to keep it now that i've got it rather than let it go for peanuts.

Some great examples on here, Richard Askew's sliver classic, Daves blue RA and Dark Blue Mark's STi 5, Cactus Jim's Type r... If i was buying i really would be spoilt for choice! I would love to have any of those motors..

Secondly insurance for these is just silly (was the main reason for me selling) with some companies quoting over £1500 without me even declaring all the mods. That has now been nicely sorted out by Rob at A-Plan who just this morning have saved me £450!!!

Thirdly i've decided to switch back from rock hard coilovers to STi struts with Eibach springs for a more complient and girlfriend friendly ride!

Lastly it wouldn't feel the same spending 80% of the working day browsing Scoobynet without actually owning one. Would feel a bit left out and wouldn't be able to attend any Posers cruises or Middlesex meets.

In addition to all that, went out for a nice blast yesterday night which made me think do i really want to give this up?
Old 15 April 2005, 06:09 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

good lol . i have these daft selling up moments as well some times . but u just cant let go
Old 15 April 2005, 07:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found anything worth changing it for yet ......

The MX5, for all the jokes, is more fun in the sun - so I own one of those as well .......

My 5 years of Scooby Ownership has cost me £18500 - only taking into account servicing, depreciation and warranty costs - thats £308 a month

Quite how people manage with Insurance costing over £400, Octane Booster additives, mods., is simply beyond me - I can see why people think they are expensive cars to own.

Mine hasn't put a foot wrong in 58,000miles, costs me under £400 a year Insurance and returns 28mpg (cos the MAF has failed!) ........

Its not cheap, but as the years go by the monthly cost reduces (hopefully!)

Pete
Old 16 April 2005, 09:27 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

Now that insurance is lower (nowhere near as low as yours!) and all servicing is up to date, there are no other real costs other than plenty of Optimax!!
I also wouldn't be able to think of anything to replace it, its the best car i've ever had!
Old 17 April 2005, 11:43 AM
scoobychimp
Scooby Regular

its good to hear im not the only person who switches between selling and keeping almost everyday! paying #1600 insurance, #40/50 petrol per week and thats not including the many costs ive incured with it. god luck with the car moo, and thanks for the above as ive just decided to change my suspension to something more friendly in the hope it'll keep me happier about the costs!
Old 17 April 2005, 07:03 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

£400 for insurance pslewis...man I envy you...how old are you if you dont mind me asking?

I just paid £1600 on my my99 uk Turbo...I am 23 with 2 years no claims.
Old 17 April 2005, 07:12 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

Hood to hear you're keeping it....Only had mine 2 months but had the same feelings already....polished her up today and am so glad I didn't continue wanting to sell up.

As for insurance, I only paid £640 fully comp woth a modded turbo at 25 with a conviction and the mrs on who has a conviction and 2 accidents! cha ching! there are good prices if you put in the leg work...