Sponsored by:

Close calls .....

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 02:04 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Close calls .....

I had a rather near miss at 8:45 this am as I was doing 85mph in heavy traffic in the outside lane of the M4 (just before junction 10 - heading west) when the guy in the Red Corsa in front of me lost his concentration - swerving across the Motorway and then locking up all 4 wheels. He promptly pirouetted nose first into the crash barrier ....... 2 car lengths in front of me!

Anyway, I slammed on the brakes of my 03 WRX (it's on the lovely Pagid RS 4-2-2 pads) - as he bounced back off the crash barrier and straight across my nose .... I must have missed him by less than a foot .... and actually felt the brakeforce distribution of the ABS working as I weaved right round him.

I hate now hate Vauxhall Corsas ..... but I now love my WRX even more!

Anyone else had any close one's recently?
Old 07 April 2005, 03:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by MadMark

Anyway, I slammed on the brakes of my 03 WRX (it's on the lovely Pagid RS 4-2-2 pads) - as he bounced back off the crash barrier and straight across my nose .... I must have missed him by less than a foot .... and actually felt the
I had a Chav-a-leer nearly force me off the road not so long ago, during wreckless overtaking at about 50mph on the inside of a bend on a dual carrageway limited to 30mph. I had to swerve to stop him hitting me, just brushed a very low kerb in the process. No damage done, but shook me up a bit and then made me VERY angry at his total lack of regard for other road users.

Sorry to take the thread off topic a little early on, but are you running the std Subaru UK discs? If so, how do you find the Pagids noise wise? I'll be replacing my pads soon and was thinking of fitting the Pagid blacks, but have been advised that they can be a little noisy on std Subaru discs.

Regards,

NS04
Old 07 April 2005, 03:44 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Lady Luck was smiling on you today, But surely, you were only doing 70mph. Yes.
Old 07 April 2005, 04:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Had some spirited driving with an STI8 not so long ago when we approached a roundabout and all of a sudden my UK classic is going sideways

Was a cold morning so perhaps some ice but the roundabout has some special coating to make it really grippy (its like a light brown surface) came off the power a little and the car came back into line but it was brown trousers for a few seconds
Old 07 April 2005, 04:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by EddScott
Had some spirited driving with an STI8 not so long ago when we approached a roundabout and all of a sudden my UK classic is going sideways

Was a cold morning so perhaps some ice but the roundabout has some special coating to make it really grippy (its like a light brown surface) came off the power a little and the car came back into line but it was brown trousers for a few seconds
Yeah, that's only fun when you want it to happen! Preferably in a nice snow covered deserted car park. Everyone should try that once...if only to learn how to recover from a slide without destroying your tyres! I had lots of fun and learned a bit about utilising 4wd traction to recover when the back end goes.

NS04
Old 07 April 2005, 05:06 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
I had a rather near miss at 8:45 this am as I was doing 85mph in heavy traffic in the outside lane of the M4 (just before junction 10 - heading west) when the guy in the Red Corsa in front of me lost his concentration - swerving across the Motorway and then locking up all 4 wheels. He promptly pirouetted nose first into the crash barrier ....... 2 car lengths in front of me!

Anyone else had any close one's recently?
hmmm, dont want to sound preachy or anything but 85, in heavy traffic, 2 car lengths...i get the impression youre an experienced scooby driver but thats a little irresponsible isnt it...?
Old 07 April 2005, 05:18 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Had a close one the other day that shook me up a little, was driving back to work, (went out for a drive during lunch) and was heading back into farehem from wickam on the A32 (the locals will know this bit). Left the tiny roundabout at wickam by the garage and drove up the hill (2 lanes on my side), as get to the top they merge into 1 lane, and over and past that is a long sweeping left bend, the traffic on the other side was being held up by a tracktor, was coming round there about 55-60 when as I come round to exit the bend two motorbikes heading right for me on my side of the road overtaking the slow moving cars

Brown pants time!!! Hit the anchors so hard the ABS cut in, luckily the bikers managed to swerve back onto there side as i was about to come level with em!!!!

Was abit of a shocker

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 05:28 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving down the M1 last November, every sort of bad weather known to man including fog, rain, sleet and ice.

I was making progress in the outside lane, keeping a more than healthy distance between me and the car in front, doing about 65 and overtaking slower traffic in the inside two lanes. The visibility is poor but I make out brake lights coming on up ahead so I ease off and then begin breaking myself. The car behind me looms very large in the rear view mirror and the car behind him appears to pull into the inside lane, then back again, then I see the rear 3/4 of the car as he goes sideways and out he pops from the other side of the car behind me into the central reservation. Bounces off leaving debris all across 2 lanes of the M1 south, all because he was driving too close and not paying attention.

My sister had a similar experience where the chap behind skidded around her car and collected the car in front of her!
Old 07 April 2005, 11:37 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Going around an island (very wet) exiting left on to a dual carriage way a young lad on a scooter in the inside lane going too fast in the wet lost it just as i got along side him in the outside lane fortunately he went left bike went right - across my nose emergency stop, thought i was going to go over him or his bike but abs did its job, got out and found my bumper approx 2cm away from the bike. Picked up lad with suspected broken arm or collarbone, called ambulance, sat him in the back of the scoob until the ambulance arrived. Had a chat with the ambulance chaps and then firked off sharpish before old bill arrived as - sods law I had borderline legal front tyres and was booked in for a couple of new tyres the next morning! Worst thing was everybody going past probably thinking - look at that reckless scoob driver whose knocked the poor lad off his bike when i was only being a good samaritan!
Old 08 April 2005, 08:02 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I had a Chav-a-leer nearly force me off the road not so long ago, during wreckless overtaking at about 50mph on the inside of a bend on a dual carrageway limited to 30mph. I had to swerve to stop him hitting me, just brushed a very low kerb in the process. No damage done, but shook me up a bit and then made me VERY angry at his total lack of regard for other road users.

Sorry to take the thread off topic a little early on, but are you running the std Subaru UK discs? If so, how do you find the Pagids noise wise? I'll be replacing my pads soon and was thinking of fitting the Pagid blacks, but have been advised that they can be a little noisy on std Subaru discs.

Regards,

NS04
NS04 - I've got the Pagid Blues and they are a quite squealy when cold but provide a rock solid pedal and tireless bite even when cold or very hot! They are matched with the standard discs (which are wearing out and so will be replaced with some Godspeed ones when they do)! The blacks are much quieter then the Blues - so you should be fine!
Old 08 April 2005, 08:09 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Lady Luck was smiling on you today, But surely, you were only doing 70mph. Yes.
Yup and obviously .......

Originally Posted by brihoppy
hmmm, dont want to sound preachy or anything but 85, in heavy traffic, 2 car lengths...i get the impression youre an experienced scooby driver but thats a little irresponsible isnt it...?
A bit closer than I would have liked - but as I was in the process of moving into the middle lane it didn't look as bad as it sounds.
Old 08 April 2005, 08:19 AM
vader
Scooby Regular

gald you okay mate
Old 08 April 2005, 08:21 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Cheers Vader!
Old 08 April 2005, 08:55 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
But you do sound preachy. If everything else was travelling at 85 in the fast lane whats so irresponsible about it? *rolleyes*.
Old 08 April 2005, 09:47 AM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

Coming down the A127 towards Southend a while back a mini cooper in front seemed to be driving a bit erratically so I slowed to keep a respectable distance between my pride and joy and the div in the mini .. All of a sudden, and for no apparent reason he swerved right, into the crash barrier and then shot left, careering off the road (god knows how he missed the queue of traffic in the slow lane) - all this at about 65-70 mph ... It could have been very nasty but amazingly the guy ended up parked, it must be said, quite tidyly on someone's driveway, screeching to a halt inches from the garage ... I don't know, maybe he lives there and gets a kick out of scaring the cr*p out of anyone unfortunate enough to be following him ..

Old 08 April 2005, 11:04 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by eric Scofield
Coming down the A127 towards Southend a while back a mini cooper in front seemed to be driving a bit erratically so I slowed to keep a respectable distance between my pride and joy and the div in the mini .. All of a sudden, and for no apparent reason he swerved right, into the crash barrier and then shot left, careering off the road (god knows how he missed the queue of traffic in the slow lane) - all this at about 65-70 mph ... It could have been very nasty but amazingly the guy ended up parked, it must be said, quite tidyly on someone's driveway, screeching to a halt inches from the garage ... I don't know, maybe he lives there and gets a kick out of scaring the cr*p out of anyone unfortunate enough to be following him ..

Not so much a near miss, but it did involve a Mini Cooper S. I was on my way back from Xtreme on the A12 (clear road, good conditions doing about 8mph over the national speed limit, bit naughty I know) when I saw a patrol car behind me. Was a little concerned that he might pull me over even for this minor indescretion as I was in a Scooby, but he kept his distance. About a mile later I passed a slip road, looked in my rear view mirror to see a Mini Copper S fly down the road, straight into the outside lane and pass me at what must have been over 90mph.
There was this blue flashing light. Patrol car shot past me, I'm sure I got a thumbs up from the passenger in the car!

A mile or two later in a layby, said mini copper was parked, police patrol car behind, driver looking rather guilty.

I couldn't help but wonder how the police dealt with him.

NS04
Old 08 April 2005, 12:52 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

unfortunately, this wasn't a miss ............

driving down the a414 from harlow just after xmas, early morning having taken gf to the sales at stupid o clock had problem with turbo overboosting anyway so combined with nasty weather equals driving down the inside lane like miss daisy doing 50mph! moved into outside lane to overtake a coach doing 49.5mph! hit two patches of black ice that the gritter missed, spin 180 degrees and do a boot first into the central reservation crash barrier :'(
my xmas pressie to myself (2 weeks old), an imported '95 wrx sti v-limited mccrae edition now sits in the middle of the road completely f*&"£^$&!!! :'(
4 months on from that horrible day and a lot of dolla into it (cheers dad!!! lol!!!) my baby's nearly fixed and "tweaked" a little by the boys at nemesis with around 300 hours of man hours on it!!! she's looking sweet tho n i get her back in a couple of weeks! :-D

lesson learnt? : next time the gf wants to go shopping at stupid o clock in the morning im staying my skinny white a*$e in bed n she can drive herself in her own car!!!!
Old 08 April 2005, 05:33 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
But you do sound preachy. If everything else was travelling at 85 in the fast lane whats so irresponsible about it? *rolleyes*.
was afraid i would come across like that but i think madmark took it the right way...85, fair enough if its keeping up with the traffic in that lane, but 2 car lengths...?! i know its hard to keep a safe braking distance on the motorway as some idiot usually nips in but personally i always try and keep my distance at the expense of speed...