speed whats it all about

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 12:21 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down speed whats it all about

just had a new tubro etc etc fit to the scoob, should be running 300bhp easy

the scoob was off the road for a month waiting for bits and Bobs but in the month i got my self a new polo with a huge 55bhp

now all weekend I was playing in the scoob and I couldn't believe the difference it made its a flyer BUT

being away from the car for a few weeks made me think what 100mph + really was never mind the speeds it will do now . Now its back to work I keep thinking I will take the scoob but then think na my licence is worth more

is it just me or does the scoob take you for a ride, I don't think I ve even been over the speed limmit in the polo but 2 minute behind the wheel of the subaru and im off again. Its a love hate thing

you guys with 400bhp+ surely it aint worth it on the road or do you honestly keep it easy

please, no keyboard warriors
Old 07 April 2005, 07:44 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I hear what you're saying Rich. I have a diesel astra estate as my second car which makes me feel far more relaxed than when i'm in the scoob.
I think a lot of the guys running 400bhp+ on here, take their cars onto the track every now and then. But for everyday use, I know my sti4 would give me the blues. Thats why I only drive it at weekends.
Definatly a 'Love/Hate' thing going on!
Old 07 April 2005, 07:55 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I don't find it particularly difficult keeping to speed limits in Town - quite happy to chug behind the stream of traffic.

When my doors were being mended I was lent a new ford fiesta and frankly hated it to death. Took me 22 minutes to get to 40MPH, well, that's how if felt anyway.

My husband made me laugh... he said I should drive slowly because it was more cool than driving fast and everyone could admire the car *shakes head*
Old 07 April 2005, 09:02 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Yep I want to be seen in my pride and joy so never go wragging round town - easy for me to mooch along at 30 checking out the ladies!!!
As for country lane driving - it is tempting to hammer it but I admit Im a crap driver so if I did wrag it I would die and be dead and there aint no twisties in heaven
As for motorways - well the law is 70 and the license is revokable and the roads normally too busy to be tempted!
PSA
Old 07 April 2005, 09:13 AM
Chris96wrx
Scooby Newbie

IMHO cars do affect the way I drive,

I drove in the US a few years ago and couldn't believe it, I drove under the limit, even 20 in places, didn't seem hard to do in the big comfy automatics - just seemed like the thing to do. Felt relaxed after a long drive.

Landing back at Heathrow was a culture shock, getting in my car (Golf gti at the time), which was half the size and doing insane speeds all the way home, felt quite dizzy. Then 2 days later that seems like the norm.

Chris
Old 07 April 2005, 09:21 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

I agree and disagree, got my MY00 a month ago now and for the first while it was foot to the floor, this is great, but now i find myself pulling out of junctions and cruising to the speed limit. To me its enjoyable, but thinking back to when I was driving my Golf etc, every junction you pulled out of, it was foot to the floor just to get you to the speed limit. I feel its made me a more sensible driver if anything.
Old 07 April 2005, 10:55 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Yeah I agree. With me it's about what the car is capable of, not what I actually do...

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 11:22 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dmc1980
I agree and disagree, got my MY00 a month ago now and for the first while it was foot to the floor, this is great, but now i find myself pulling out of junctions and cruising to the speed limit. To me its enjoyable, but thinking back to when I was driving my Golf etc, every junction you pulled out of, it was foot to the floor just to get you to the speed limit. I feel its made me a more sensible driver if anything.
Exactly! To be honest I've think the extra performance of the Scooby over anything I've driven before has meant that I now take things much easier. Well, that and I'd kinda like to keep my clean licence!! The great things about owning a high performance car that you don't hear about is that it makes driving a lot more efortless when you're not in the mood to give it some beans. One of the pleasures of owning a Scooby is just burbling along at 30 and watching heads turn to see what is making the noise.

That said, there is little point in owning such a car if you're not going to let it off the leash once in a while. There is a time and place for that though

Regards,

NS04
Old 07 April 2005, 11:31 AM
scoobyjohn2000
Scooby Regular

not sure what all urs are like but.....if i drive mine at 30 in 5th it shakes u like a ****ting dog, so cant really cruise as normaly in 3th or 4th???
Old 07 April 2005, 12:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scoobyjohn2000
not sure what all urs are like but.....if i drive mine at 30 in 5th it shakes u like a ****ting dog, so cant really cruise as normaly in 3th or 4th???
LOL Nice expression!

My MY99 is fine in 4th at 30, burbles along nicely almost at tickover! H&S exhausts sound sweeeeet low down!

Regards,

NS04
Old 07 April 2005, 12:11 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with a lot said so far , the scoob has made it safer for to drive and i don't mean at mach 3 , the best thing is how easy it is to overtake ! you are not leaving your **** out in the wind for so long and i don't mean overtaking at warp speed i mean normal overtaking to get past " reginald molehusband " out for a sunday drive
Old 07 April 2005, 12:29 PM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

Yep ..

The Scoob is a nice car to drive at any speed, even crawling around on a Sunday afternoon, you know the power is there if you need it - and so do most other road users, nothing to prove ....

Drive my g/f's golf 1.6gl occassionally and am amazed at how many people tailgate it .. I find the impreza a much more relaxing drive .. IMO ..
Old 07 April 2005, 12:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Talking

Originally Posted by eric Scofield
Yep ..

The Scoob is a nice car to drive at any speed, even crawling around on a Sunday afternoon, you know the power is there if you need it - and so do most other road users, nothing to prove ....

Drive my g/f's golf 1.6gl occassionally and am amazed at how many people tailgate it .. I find the impreza a much more relaxing drive .. IMO ..
TBH I probably get more tailgaters in the Scooby than when I drive other cars. Just in my experience there are an awful lot of people out there who seem to think that you simply must NOT drive a performance car at the speed limit and will do whatever they can to try and get you to speed up or get around you.

I had a classic the other day: Pulled up at the traffic lights, what pulls up next to me in the right turn only lane reving the nuts of the engine? Yep, you've guessed it....a throbbing Toyota Landcruiser.....the diesel one. Laugh....my liver almost came out my left nostril! The other chap looked rather angry!

I simply turned left.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

For me, the scooby is about acceleration and how fast you can overtake. I think I have been over 100 mph about 3 times in 2 years.

I dont get a buzz from those sort of speeds anymore and have no desire to find out what it tops out at (mainly because I'm too scared it'll blow up!).
Old 07 April 2005, 01:07 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

i always seem to find myself driving my my98 turbo either slowly or really going for it-never seems to be any middle ground! start out with good intentions-go to overtake just the one car but suddenly get inthe boost zone and before i know it iam taking out 3-4 cars instead.last year i was briefly driving a cheap volvo 440 i bought to sell on and was always much more relaxed, calm after a journey in that!
Old 07 April 2005, 01:10 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

High speed doesn't interest me really.

Acceleration is what does it for me - i just like to get thrust from behind.

(No i dont like it up the chuffer, poor wording left in for comedy value).
Old 07 April 2005, 05:41 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

as std the car was slow and didn't really do it for me, it was a propper taxi but 2 years of scoobynet has turned it into a monster

yup driving round town is easy at low speeds but get on the twisties and thats it, Im sure I will get over it
Old 07 April 2005, 06:00 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rossyboy
For me, the scooby is about acceleration and how fast you can overtake. I think I have been over 100 mph about 3 times in 2 years.

I dont get a buzz from those sort of speeds anymore and have no desire to find out what it tops out at (mainly because I'm too scared it'll blow up!).
That's what does it for me too bud.
Mines a classic jap import with the closer ratio's and it's damn quick to 60!!

Top end speeds don't fuss me much.

Powerfull cars are far easier to drive and in some aspect's safer.

Being able to move away from dangerous situations is no problem.