Sponsored by:

Classic or Bugeye??

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2005, 08:21 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic or Bugeye??

In the next couple of weeks I am looking to change my 98 turbo wagon for something a bit newer with less miles.I am looking to spend about 12k and cannot decide whether to get a last of the line classic or a bugeye.
I have not yet driven a bugeye but have heard they are not as quick as a classic,is this true? I also expect the bugeye would be more refined ,again is this true? A mate has a set of UK300 headlights so I would buy them as I am not to keen on the std ones.
I am not trying to start an arguement about which is better but I would like some pros and cons from people who have experience of both models.
I am off out for the day now but look forward to reading some replies tonight!
Thanks.
Old 02 April 2005, 08:41 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Personally would go for a very late classic, the bug eye just not does it for me at all, mind you saying that was looking on autotrader the other day and saw a very nice bug eye with a morrette conversion, So it depends, I think it would have to have the conversion to do it for me.
Cheers
Colin
Old 02 April 2005, 09:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You will definatly get more 'bang for your buck' with a classic sti.
Be aware however that these will be imports and therefre will cost more to insure.
My m8 has a bugeye wrx producing around 250bhp.
He was, well, slightly embarresed shall we say, when he tried to pass me in my sti 4! (standard apart from cat-back blitz, with 294bhp) I thought he wasn't trying, but he assured me his foot was welded to the floor!

The new age cars are slower in standard form than the equivilent classic, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. The weigh the best part of 200kg more!
But, they are more more refined (still get rattles though like every car).
Personnally, I would go for a late classic, or try and stretch to a blobeye wrx. Atleast they are nice to look at!
Old 02 April 2005, 09:22 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
In the next couple of weeks I am looking to change my 98 turbo wagon for something a bit newer with less miles.I am looking to spend about 12k and cannot decide whether to get a last of the line classic or a bugeye.
I have not yet driven a bugeye but have heard they are not as quick as a classic,is this true? I also expect the bugeye would be more refined ,again is this true? A mate has a set of UK300 headlights so I would buy them as I am not to keen on the std ones.
I am not trying to start an arguement about which is better but I would like some pros and cons from people who have experience of both models.
I am off out for the day now but look forward to reading some replies tonight!
Thanks.
You're right on both counts. The Bugeye is the better all-rounder, the classic is faster rawer and more exciting. HOWEVER, the bugeye isn't exactly slow and you could always get a bugeye with PPP. Personally I'd avoid the UK300 edition unless you find a bargin. Subaru charged WAY too much for this limited edition and that tends to be reflected in the used values. You'd get more bang for your buck going for a standard one with either PPP or a std one that you can Decat and Tek 3. That'll certainly sort the performance issue out. As for the looks.....well, you can't see those headlights from the drivers seat!

Regards,

NS04
Old 02 April 2005, 11:06 AM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Personally I think the bugeye Sti looks better than a classic, particularly the bugeye sti prodrive style, but the bugeye wrx definately leaves a lot to be desired!

More refined inside appeals to me too. Always loved the classics but when it came to the crunch opted for something a bit different. Don't see as many bug eye's about as you do classics.
Old 02 April 2005, 12:48 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

If you want something different get a sti 5/6 type r or even a yellow type r sti5/6 (i don't know if its just me but i really like the yellow ones)
Old 02 April 2005, 12:57 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

IMHO, a bugeye with colour coded Morettes is the best looking of all the scoobs [flame jacket on].
They are extremely well put together although do lack the raw 'grunt' of the classics.
Although they are as 'moddable' if not more so than the classics

Martin (biased bugeye owner)

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2005, 01:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

my02, my01 and my00 uk turbo all have the same turbo td04 which can flow about 280-290bhp. The my00 is 150kgs lighter, so both modded to their turbo limit the my00 will be quicker.
Old 02 April 2005, 01:05 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

choose a classic import then they run a bigger vf turbo and 310-330 is achievable with a remap.
Old 02 April 2005, 02:10 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had my new age wagon for 4 years, before this one I had an old shape for 3 years. I couldn't wait to get rid of the old one, the new one will probably do me for another year or two. It's not financial, the new shape is just better company in the long run.

I put the PPP on the new shape to bring the performance up to the same as the old shape and the fuel economy down. It has the Prodrive spring kit so out handles the old one by a long way.

If you're worried about it being ugly, don't be, the beauty contest finished a few years ago and the old shape came third. Yeah, the bugeye's are a bit startling head on, but from every other angle it's a better looking motor. I put STi headlights on mine which are no where near as harsh as the originals and keep a factory look.
Old 02 April 2005, 02:37 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
my02, my01 and my00 uk turbo all have the same turbo td04 which can flow about 280-290bhp. The my00 is 150kgs lighter, so both modded to their turbo limit the my00 will be quicker.
Really???

Got an MY02 Sti with H&S exhaust and TEK3 map (no turbo upgrade) recorded 331bhp on Scooby clinic rollers
Old 02 April 2005, 03:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelH
Really???

Got an MY02 Sti with H&S exhaust and TEK3 map (no turbo upgrade) recorded 331bhp on Scooby clinic rollers

215bhp uk turbo/wrx, not the sti
Old 02 April 2005, 03:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

mind due my lowly classic wrx ran 315bhp and 320bhp at Prosport the last two times and thats 200kgs lighter than an MY02 sti
Old 02 April 2005, 08:15 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies,I am still no closer to making a decision!!I have always thought the classic was a better looking car in isolation,but I went to Graham Walkers in Chester a couple of weeks ago and after seeing them side by side I nearly prefered the bugeye until I walked around the front!!!Thank god for twin headlight conversions!
Joking aside though,I did prefer the bugeye interior and the flared arches look good too.I guess I wont be able to decide until I have driven one as I do love the way my classic drives even after 96k.
Old 02 April 2005, 08:28 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Once you have have driven one and then get back into your classic you will be surprised how out-dated it feel's,Don't get me wrong the classic will alway's be a good car but time's have moved on.Sure it won't give you that pushed into the seat feeling in 1st-2nd gear but it depend's wot you want! the bugeye is some 250% stronger in the bodyshell,which tell's when cornering etc,I would have to agree that the classic is more of a racer's car ,but the bugeye give's a more grown up ride.
Old 02 April 2005, 08:31 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

.......and when a bugeye wrx has 403bhp, most people only see the rear off the car

Martin
Old 02 April 2005, 08:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

unless your chasing a red and white classic down elvington
Old 02 April 2005, 08:37 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Mickey
Old 02 April 2005, 08:38 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I want the best of both worlds!!I want it to pull like a train when I fell like really 'driving',but I also want it to be a nice refined pussycat when I have got the kids in with me.I think I am swaying towards the newer model,perhaps with PPP or a tek 3 remap.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:13 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Dan,

As you saw from my above post, my WRX has got 400bhp. That isn't the best thing about the car.

The best thing is that it is a family car, that my wife likes to drive and is well put together. It has done nearly 60k miles and I have enjoyed everyone of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Martin
Old 02 April 2005, 10:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2002 bugeye WRX too which I use as a daily driver which has less rattles than the 04 Citroen people carrier that I have just bought.. !! so pretty well screwed together.

Also used as a family car for the last year or so at 325 BHP with no problems

Midlife.....

Hmm Lets see if I can post a pic !!

http://www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk/bbs/...fe/minibus.jpg

http://www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk/bbs/...fe/wheels1.jpg

http://www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk/bbs/...RCMSsmall1.jpg

Last edited by Midlife......; 02 April 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03 April 2005, 11:14 AM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

i have the classic haave had 2 , but if you look at scoobychrissies frog eye , you1d see why i now want the newershape personally id get a belter for 10 out of the autotrader , spend 2 g on wheels and extras if they dont already have them

and you have got urself a new car lots of power and in with the times
Old 03 April 2005, 02:59 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs
.......and when a bugeye wrx has 403bhp, most people only see the rear off the car

Martin
just think you would only had to get 360bhp out of a classic to get the same performance effect
Old 03 April 2005, 03:08 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I personally prefer the looks of the classic, but i think the dashboard of the newage looks loads better. And of course the classics quicker in standard form
Old 03 April 2005, 03:32 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Classic everytime. The bug eye is just embarrassment on wheels. No matter about light conversions et al, it's still a pig.
Old 03 April 2005, 04:08 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

the classic is faster rawer and more exciting.

it depends which 'bugeye' you have really
Old 03 April 2005, 04:16 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

Saw a gorgeous bugeye at the fast show today, if this doesn't convince you a bug eye is the way forward, not sure what will!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...5/P4030651.jpg

Had decided I wasn't going to get graphics, but I think the silver graphics on blue looks fantastic
Old 03 April 2005, 05:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Rasher
it depends which 'bugeye' you have really
Granted: I meant as standard I know someone with a 350bhp one, which is pretty damn exciting!

NS04
Old 03 April 2005, 06:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Granted: I meant as standard I know someone with a 350bhp one, which is pretty damn exciting!

NS04
rashers is 350bhp
Old 03 April 2005, 06:35 PM
icon1425
Scooby Regular

Why not go for a WRX? You can get those at a reasonable price now.

Quick Reply: Classic or Bugeye??