Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want an impartial no nonsense opinion on a Tek3 applied to MY00 UK?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 11:53 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone want an impartial no nonsense opinion on a Tek3 applied to MY00 UK?

It's good Don't get that mixed up with fantastic

Scoobyclinic, Pat, the gaffer and the crew nuff said

Any questions fire away

Last edited by Gridlock Mikey; 31 March 2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 31 March 2005, 12:12 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Smoother than a Dawes Device in my opinion. Pulls really hard in 3rd and 4th in a way that it didn't before.

If you are going from completely standard ecu/boost settings then you will notice a massive difference.
Old 31 March 2005, 12:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you get cake with your tea......
Old 31 March 2005, 12:30 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
It's good Don't get that mixed up with fantastic

Scoobyclinic, Pat, the gaffer and the crew nuff said

Any questions fire away
Can you describe the difference in terms of everyday driving: many have said that each gear feels like the gear lower used to feel before the car was mapped and it's noticably smoother. Would you agree with this? What other mods did you have?

NS04
Old 31 March 2005, 12:31 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

IF you dont give your Scoob some, is it REALLY worth the money??? Im tempted to go for a front decat 1st, then a Re-Map, but Im not too sure if its worth the extra 500 or so quid!
Old 31 March 2005, 12:38 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Can you describe the difference in terms of everyday driving: many have said that each gear feels like the gear lower used to feel before the car was mapped and it's noticably smoother. Would you agree with this? What other mods did you have?

NS04
I'd agree with the gear statement, this is because of the torque increases, as far as smoother is concerned, i'm not so sure. If they are refering to smooth as in long continuous boost delivery instead of maybe boost, flat torque curve then a few thousand RPM later the torque kicks in again, then yeah it's smooth ( or is that linear power delivery?) If they mean smooth as in Volvo over bumps smooth, then No

The only Mods (Can't get away from the fekkers ) I have is a full decat and aftermarket panel filter.
Old 31 March 2005, 12:40 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by LIDDO
IF you dont give your Scoob some, is it REALLY worth the money??? Im tempted to go for a front decat 1st, then a Re-Map, but Im not too sure if its worth the extra 500 or so quid!
I wasn't either hence my previous posts but I learnt that if it's "BHP v £" that you are looking at then it won't win any prizes if its "Refreshing the driving experience v £" then it really is worth it.

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2005, 01:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey
I'd agree with the gear statement, this is because of the torque increases, as far as smoother is concerned, i'm not so sure. If they are refering to smooth as in long continuous boost delivery instead of maybe boost, flat torque curve then a few thousand RPM later the torque kicks in again, then yeah it's smooth ( or is that linear power delivery?) If they mean smooth as in Volvo over bumps smooth, then No

The only Mods (Can't get away from the fekkers ) I have is a full decat and aftermarket panel filter.
Good stuff mate! Thanks for that: those are the kind of gains i'd be looking for. It's the torque I like and this is what's most relevant to everyday driving!! I was referring to the power delivery, btw. I guess this depends largely on what your car was like to start with.

How long did you run the car with the decat for before mapping. Did you experience any problems or knocklink activity?

Enjoy! NS04
Old 31 March 2005, 01:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Talking

Originally Posted by LIDDO
But a remap gives you more than power though. Apart from exploiting the mods you have, It's extra security against these mods causing your engine to go pop. It's also about improving drivability, which is more than just outright power.

I would be the first to plead technical ignorance, but I just can't see that going down the -apparently much bigger bang for buck- Dawes device route is a good idea: surely if you're fiddling with boost parameters you also need to adjust fueling and ignition etc...

NS04
Old 31 March 2005, 01:48 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Good stuff mate! Thanks for that: those are the kind of gains i'd be looking for. It's the torque I like and this is what's most relevant to everyday driving!! I was referring to the power delivery, btw. I guess this depends largely on what your car was like to start with.

How long did you run the car with the decat for before mapping. Did you experience any problems or knocklink activity?

Enjoy! NS04
If you are thinking of having this done, i've just done the same. This is what i posted on Gridlocks initial thread (i have editted it slightly now as i have compared it ti my mates car again since the remap):-

Just had a TEK3 on my MY04 WRX by Pat. I'll try and describe how i feel my mods have improved the car:-

1. Backbox - not a great deal of difference, car seemed to rev more freely at top end though. Difference is more noticeable when putting the standard box back on afterwards
2. Decat up pipe, down pipe and centre - Definetly a good improvement, more grunt low down and car picks up quickier. When driven alongside a mate with standard exhaust (apart from backbox) in 3rd and 4th, my car would pull away slowly, about 1-1.5 car lenghts over 1/4 miles. Only downsides were that it was a little lumpy at tickover, especially when cold, and the CEL light came on(easily fixed)
3. Removed resonator from inner wing and replaced with plain pipe (snorkleoctomy) - No performance difference, very little noise increase.
4. STI panel filter - no difference in performance or noise (mainly done in preperation for TEK3)
5. Tek3 by Pat - I was expectiing massive things from this, but initially (and i mean the same day) i was dissapointed as i didn't real feel i had gained anything from it. But that evening i sat down and started to think about how the car was driving, and trying to compare how it felt in comparision to before, i went to bed looking forward to driving it in the morning. Now after driving it for a few days i am a happy bunny , the car pulls stronger than ever from just below 3krpm all the way through to 6k. The boost doesn't drop off as before (standard and decatted) as the car goes past 4750rpm, and the whole car runs a lot smoother than when just decatted. The car in 3rd and 4th is so much quicker to drive, with no need to keep dropping down a gear to keep it in the power range, i'm not saying that i would be getting massively faster times (if timed ), but it is just a lot easier to drive as fast (if not faster), especially on unfamiliar roads. I went for a blast with my mate in his standard car, where he was using 2nd and 3rd and ragging the car, i was using 3rd and 4th and catching him out of he bends when putting the power down.

There are a couple of reasons i think i felt a little "dissapointed" at first, firstly i was expecting a violent difference, i.e. big kick in the back when the boost came in, where as in fact you get a stronger and smoother pull, secondly, i was actually driving the car while it was being mapped, so you are getting the increase in performance gradually, so you are almost used to it by the time it is finished.

I tried a standard car (well just backbox changed) at the weekend, and both myself and the owner of the other car agreed how much stronger thge car pulled (and felt) in 3rd and 4th. Its like most mods, you can notice the upgrades slightly, but when you down grade, you notice it a hell of a lot more.

We also tried the cars alongside each other in 2nd 3rd and 4th, my car pulled away in all gears, probably 1.5-2 car lengths over 1/4 mile, but what we really noticed is how the much earlier and longer my car pulled, as the standard cars acceleration started to slow higher up the rev range, my car started pulling away quicker.

The other cars owner (cat7 - i assume he will be along soon) is now getting his done, so i suppose that shows what he thought of it

Last edited by austen_wrx; 31 March 2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 31 March 2005, 01:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

My personal opinion on MY99/00:

Had a full de-cat at 1st. Then had a tek3. Improvement was good...but then I went from the tek3 to a OE AE800 ECU and Dawes and really didnt feal any difference between the two. Fueling is already enough as std to increase boost to sensible levels (1.1/1.2bar).

Just had a Tek3 done by AndyF with lots of mods (turbo, intercooler, headers, fuel pump, fuel reg etc) and we still used a Dawes Device to control the boost.

I would buy a AE800 ECU (if you dont already have one) and a dawes device. Very cheap and effective. KL is recommended also.

Bob
Old 31 March 2005, 01:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks Austen. Lots of useful info there!

NS04
Old 31 March 2005, 01:53 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Austen. Lots of useful info there!

NS04
just added a bit in the TEK3 section
Old 31 March 2005, 02:30 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

What did you have fitted before - it wasnt standard was it mikey?

Jza
Old 01 April 2005, 03:04 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Hi Jza, long time no abuse Just a full Decat. I ran a DAWES for about 2 years without any problems which gave plenty of umpf but really agressively and spikily (sp?) I learnt to drive round it.I took it off in the winter as the cold weather was upping the boost (Not on it's own ) and I was hitting fuel cut. Put it back on and couldn't really be arsed to set it properly again so the car was running at almost OE Boost levels

Hope that helps. Are you still in possession of that ugly car
Old 01 April 2005, 03:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HaHa......................my reply was left in........