Scooby PX dilemma - nothing serious though

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2005, 05:37 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby PX dilemma - nothing serious though

Need some opinions.

I've currently got a UK MY99 with a few mods. I really love it and there is no REAL reason to change apart from I've had it coming up to 3 years.

Whilst doing the usual Bank-holiday things , I found myself in a Subaru dealers
I've been looking at the following -

a Blob-eye WRX
a Bug-eye STI Type UK
a Blob-eye STI Type UK (MY04 - not MY05, as I can't afford it)

So, the dilemma is this:Hypothetically, it would cost me to change. I accept this. BUT it would have to a worthwhile difference/improvement to p/ex.

My Scoob at the moment, is pretty quick. Whilst not SUPER quick, a la STI (classic or newer), it's much quicker than standard. Therefore, the upgrade would have to be significantly better performance-wise to convince me.

Whilst I take on board the whole handling thing and solid-build aspects which are associated with the new-age models, what would the other advantages be?

I've included the Bug-eye Prodrive Type UK, as moreso price-wise, it makes sense. Even though the front styling doesn't really set my heart on fire. Perhaps with the WRC lights instead.

Anybody done the same type of thing? Surely there are other less-obvious advantages to upgrading (apart from the e vainess of owning a newer car).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 28 March 2005, 06:19 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Cool Keep It.

Classic's RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red.
Old 28 March 2005, 06:25 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

I think you need to look at your classic - if you've got a good 'un then I wouldn't bother...

And I've got a blob-eye WRX.

Failing that, I'd go for a blob eye STi. The bug eye (to me) is a bit inferior (as I hate the looks) and the WRX is a bit slow as standard (needs PPP at least).

All IMHO of course
Old 28 March 2005, 06:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with the Classic ....

It was

It is

It always will be

THE BEST SCOOBY!!

Pete
Old 28 March 2005, 06:40 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Time to move on me thinks, the fact that you are even thinking about it says it all. Your criteria is obviously speed (thought I might have picked up the wrong message) so its got to be one of the STi models. I'm biased and would suggest the bugeye variant because I 'love' the look of the front end!
I've never owned a classic so tend to be more objective? Or should I say less informed

See how you feel in a few weeks and decide whether it was a bank Holiday incident - though I doubt it, you tend not to go to a car dealer for an exciting day out!

Kevin
Old 28 March 2005, 08:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Would need to know what mods you have on your classic to advise really. It's may already as quick as a new age Sti (without PPP) So you may be paying to no ends if your criteria is predominantly performance orientated.

Regards, NS04
Old 28 March 2005, 08:16 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

yep the classic is the best by far

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2005, 08:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Wow. I thought there would be more support for the new kids on the block. Not just for the classic
mods and *potential* advert HERE
I must stress that this is purely to guage what sort of price I would be looking at

Dan
Old 28 March 2005, 08:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

People just don't like adverts that say, "I am thinking of selling", "offers if I choose to sell" ...... I would be surprised if you got a response.

Look on AutoTrader and it will tell you what you should ask pricewise is the best advice

Good Luck

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 28 March 2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 28 March 2005, 09:04 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

you will need a sti with ppp to really feel the difference, 50bhp is nothing imho
Old 28 March 2005, 09:21 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Cheers Pete,

Kinda thought so - I normally p/ex cars, so selling them is a totally new experience.
But the idea was to see what the Scoobynet (read "hatchet men" ) peeps would guage it as.

Thanks for the comments - any thoughts/reviews on those who've gone from a modded Classic to an new-age WRX or STI?

Dan
Old 28 March 2005, 11:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Cheers Pete,

Kinda thought so - I normally p/ex cars, so selling them is a totally new experience.
But the idea was to see what the Scoobynet (read "hatchet men" ) peeps would guage it as.

Thanks for the comments - any thoughts/reviews on those who've gone from a modded Classic to an new-age WRX or STI?

Dan
Looks like a nice example mate, but I don't see any mods which would make it "Quicker than std" Apologies if I've missed something. I own a MY99 and have driven both the new age (blobeye) WRX and Sti (Non PPP). If performance is the important criteria then you really must have the Sti. The WRX feels slower than a classic, it's predominantly due to less agressive mapping and greater refinement concealing it's pace (which is objectively probably more or less the same) but a subjective difference is an important diff none the less. The Sti feels quicker than a classic- it's delivery is very dramatic: normal good 2ltr performance untill about 4k then Whoaaaaaaaa! Great fun, but some want the power lower done, which is where the PPP comes in! ;-)

Both the WRX and Sti are significantly more refined than the classic, and the ride quality on the WRX is simply outstanding for the performance!! The Sti is harsher, but perfectly liveable as a day to day car, just like the classic in fact, but seems more controlled and "iron fisted" somehow. The interior on both new age cars is FAR better too and the car as a whole feels stiffer and more poised. You do, however, feel the extra weight and this does have a slightly deleterious effect on performance. If you want the best of both worlds go for the WRX and specify PPP :-)

In conclusion: it is worth you trading up if you want a car that feels more contemporary and better quality, but not for performance per se. You'd be better off modifying your MY99 further for that. e.g. Sports cats, panel filter and Tek 3 remap. Should see at least 260 bhp/ft lbs+ in a car that is significantly lighter than the new age Scoobies. That'll fly!

Either way you win!!

Regards,
NS04
Old 07 April 2005, 10:25 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Just one extra thought Dan is that the newer cars are probably safer and with the kids in mind I'd go for a newer one.

Mike
Old 07 April 2005, 10:29 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh - still looking at the moment. The beauty is that time is on my side. I don't need to change the car.

Dan
Old 07 April 2005, 11:38 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

I've driven my mates 03 blobeye sti ppp and had a few races with him and to be honest in a straight line their is nothing in it between mine and his,my cars a my99 rb5 with a turbo back mongoose exhaust,induction kit and a tek 2 ecu,i've got a rolling road printout that says it's 279bhp and 264lbft.
They do drive quite different though,the sti is a lot stiffer sprung and although it goes well once above 3000ish rpm it's a bit gutless below,whereas although mine doesn't pull quite as strong at high revs it pulls a lot stronger from 2000rpm upwards and is a lot easier to drive fast without revving the nuts off it.
But it's horses for courses really,as others have said the interior is a lot better built on the newer cars but there is a weight penalty to pay.
Have a good test drive in one and see what you think
Old 08 April 2005, 06:51 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

did exactly the same thing while my 99 was being serviced, had an 05 sti for the day.

over the next week i would have sold my mum,dad and anything else i could have got my hands on to buy that car

now, i've got over it. would still buy one no question, but still happy with mine and the financial situation would have been crippling.

just buy something for yours and you'll be wondering why you were looking elsewhere

just my opinion, but my scoob probably puts out the same as std sti and even with another 50bhp mine wouldn't have a hope in hell of staying up with the sti. totally different machine.

fiver on the lottery methinks
Old 08 April 2005, 09:38 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I went down exactly the same route as you mate...

Traded my MY00 UK Turbo in for a MY03 STi PPP (218 bhp to 305bhp)

I soon after found myself changing the STi for a MY99 RB5 WR sport which felt just as quick as the STi (similar power to weight ratio) and I'm now in a MY99 UK Turbo with 290bhp

Speaks volumes about the newage cars really.

Yes, they are really much better built and safer, but they aren't good enough IMHO to justify the massive price hike over a minted classic.

However, like someone above said, Horses for courses.

If you do change the car, do NOT get a standard car. Whether you get a WRX or STi it MUST have PPP

Personally I'd get a Bugeye STi PPP going by your budget.

Edited to say.....

Do not expect a fair appraisal/offer for your car on here!

This place is full of vultures.... I've seen low mileage late classics with tasteful mods advertised for absolute buttons, and not a bit of interest. Like PSLewis says, check the Autotrader and stick it in there.

Last edited by talizman; 08 April 2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08 April 2005, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got an MY00 and been fancying a change too.

Apart from defecting to Mitsubishi or Nissan the only other car I'd change it to is an STI V5/6 Type R. Daughter is older now so can clamber into the back and I fancy something a little more exciting.
Old 08 April 2005, 12:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Personally, I wouldn't change my MY99 for anything less than blobeye STi or it'd be going the wrong way performance wise. Took mine out for a spin the other night. Cold, damp air, country road, foot down on-boost in second ....Fooooooooorkin el!! I'd forgotten just how quick it feels when you drive it like you mean it! Now, if I were to decat and tek 3 it
Old 08 April 2005, 12:42 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Keep the classic!

I have a MY00 PPP and the only one I would change it for is a type R.
Old 08 April 2005, 02:44 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Been considering changing my MY99UK for a blobeye STI, I had realised that it would have to have PPP on it as my classic has around 265 BHP and similar torque.
Another car that I would go for would be a V5/6 STI Type R, I would want low miles on this though (mine has done 40K) and for it to be in as good condition as my current classic but not sure whether I could justify the price difference for a car of a similar age.
I am thinking now though instead of going for a UK Blobeye STI PPP I may go for a JDM STI, by the time I have added the PPP onto the insurance it would be similar to the cost to insure the JDM STI but I would be getting a higher spec car for similar money.
Still not sure what to do yet?
Old 08 April 2005, 03:00 PM
warr555
Scooby Regular

I went from a MY97 to a MY99 to a MY03 STI PPP. The STI cost me nearly 3x what I got for the MY99 and after a total of 7 years in classics I kept the STI for less than a year. I have since seen loads of late, low mileage STI's for sale and I wonder why?

I sold mine partly because my job changed (it would have been parked at the station instead of a 90 mile daily trip on A+B roads) but partly because I found it no more fun to drive than the MY99, and there were things about it I disliked e.g. the wide seats. I therefore decided to cut my losses (the days of low depreciation Scoobies are long gone), get rid of the STI and get something cheaper. I couldn't think what else to get, so am going back to a classic!

The STI is a very capable car (get it with PPP) but like others have said, it is a lot of extra money for relatively little gain in "real world" performance or overall fun factor.
Old 08 April 2005, 03:20 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I might be wrong, but 89k miles on a 1999 means a big drop in value I would have thought. I personally would look at the car first, then the mileage and walk away. I think a lot of others would do the same. It would have to be cheap to tempt me, no matter how good the history.
Old 08 April 2005, 06:04 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've had one of those driving days

Pretty much arriving at the same conclusion as others - would have to go to an STI 03 to justify the change.
The dealer's given me a very fair price considering the good history, quality of car etc.
(the mileage works out at under 15K per year - which is about normal )

Still not convinced with a newer one!!!

Looks like I'm gonna look at personalising mine a bit more and up the performance.

As I said to the dealer (who had to agree), the replacement car has got to be something very impressive to justify the change.

Dan
Old 08 April 2005, 06:21 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Don't do it - Had a classic, then got a STI7 which cost loads more, and really felt I had been cheated as the car was not loads better. So then went back to a a modded classic which was by far the better car.

Build quality slightly better but really not worth the extra - less face facts you don't buy a scooby for its build qualilty. Buy a BMW if you want that.

So this leaves performance a street credability. Classics are just as quick and have IMHO a better appreciation. Why pay twice at much + when the classic will do the job nicely. And again classics look better IMO.

Save the money and buy a Westfield for some summer fun or something instead.
Old 08 April 2005, 06:39 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

I went from an MY99 Wagon to an MY04 Wagon in April last year. The 99 had a few exhaust, cosmetic and suspension mods, but not a lot else.

I loved my 99 and it did feel quick. However.... it was getting toward the end of a 1 year extended warranty, just clocked 44K miles and was starting to show a few signs of needing the odd job done. (tyres, discs, pads, loss of power every now and again) so I traded it.

The 04 is nowhere near as 'raw' as the classic... which most people like... but with me about to become a Dad for the first time, the 04's performance and 'more solid build' seemed the sensible choice to the wife and I.

So 1 year on what's it like. It's not as quick off the mark as the classic, but as others have said, the newage seems to pull like a train when they get going. My 99 used to run out of puff about 5500K revs, but my 04 keeps pulling right to the red line.

The interior is so much better. It actually feels like there's some plushness in the cabin now. The seats are not as 'huggy' as the standard 99, but they're comfortable and do give a good bit of back support. (I maybe tempted to fit STI seats in the future though)

I've had a gearbox replaced under warranty and the cabin's got a few minor rattles, but all in all I'm happy with my newage. I would add that my engine feels a lot more powerful now that I'm well passed 12K miles. (Power Engineering RR'd in Feb - 260bhp 249lbft)

I found the 04 handling was a bit wobbly, so I've had the Prodrive springs fitted and it's much better. Just needs better rear drop links/ARB and it'll be close the handling of my 99.

Yet again...... horses for course

J.
Old 09 April 2005, 04:15 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Hi all, i have the same predicament myself at the moment, my99 basic mods,love driving it.been looking to upgrade if you like for a newer model.will the grin factor still be there with a bug-eye/blobeye? although i only intended to look for a wrx,possibly with ppp, i have now come away from the garage in love with the sti type uk with ppp . another reason for the change was the mileage aspect(my99-68000) , how long i would keep the car,and what it would be worth.

i am going to book a test drive on monday to see for myself. the cars probably dont compare, but the thrill you get from driving the classic is awesome. hope this is not lost with the new age models.

Lee
Old 09 April 2005, 04:21 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I think your going the right way, as regards to test driving the vehicle.

It is all down to want YOU want tbh.

Saying that I have owned and driven in a wide range of cars and have to say my current Spec C blows everything else out of the water, but some one else could drive it and prefer some thing else..... all personal choice at the end of the day.

shaun.
Old 10 April 2005, 12:37 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 STi and did have a standard 99 turbo for 4 years.

The STi is, as others have said, a better built and more solid car and for a long trip it is probably a better car.

For having fun on a small road however it is nowhere close to the 99 Turbo. After I had run in my STi I took it back to the dealer and reported it as having a suspension fault. No fault was found and I got a bit of "they all do that sir" from them. At the time (mine was quite an early car when everyone was raving about the new STi) many dismissed my comments on the car as those of a mad person or someone who was playing the "it was better in the old days" card. However, as the car has become more common more and more people seem to share similar experiences to mine.

It just does not inspire the same confidence as the 99 when driven quickly on real roads and while it might be faster on a track with a nice smooth surface and lots of run off areas on a real road the STi is just worrying where the 99 was confident and fun. I also believe that it suffers from a fundamental handling fault that given certain circumstances can cause it to spin without any hope of catching it, even at low speed and under quite innocent circumstances.

I suspect that history will report the STi as "fatally flawed" and indeed someone might even document the exact nature of the problem as I really can't put my finger on it. However, where you might stand the tail of your 99 out on a wet roundabout I bet you don't have the confidence to make doing that a regular thing in the STi, specially not after it lets go at the front end a few times on you.

I'm not saying the STi is rubbish but if you want a fast fun car that you are confident to enjoy on small roads then I would say that it isn't the car for you. If you want a fast family car that is more solid than the 99 and that might be slightly better on a suitable track then look at the STi. One very positive thing about it is that you are unlikely to experience brake fade in the STi on the public road, unlike the 99 car.
Old 10 April 2005, 08:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thx Hedgehog.

The strange thing is that you're not the first person to mention about this experience.
In fact two other people I know, had bugeye STIs and are now back in classics

Out of morbid curiosity then, would it be fair to say that most of the sales of bug/blob eyes are to new customers - those totally new to the marque (turbo for turbo comparison)?

I did get that very same feeling of "can't quite put my finger on it", but put it down to me going nuts!!

I'm still trying to keep an open mind about it, as one day, I AM going to have to change the classic...........

now, where's that mods catalogue

Dan

Quick Reply: Scooby PX dilemma - nothing serious though