Sponsored by:

Airbag deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2005, 03:33 PM
Zapper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag deactivation

Apologies if this has been asked before. I would like to change the front seats in my MY05 WRX for genuine Subaru bucket type seats. The current seats have airbags fitted and are uncomfortable after an hour or so behind the wheel. I would like to know the procedure for deactivating the airbag warning circuit on removal of the original seats since the buckets do not have airbags fitted. I have contacted Subaru technical advice and they have told me that they think a resistor has to be placed across the disconneted plug under the seat, but they are not sure of its ohmic value or where one can be obtained. They reckon that merely shorting out the plug will not work but again they are not sure of this either. I would appreciate any information from anyone who has carried this out or knows the correct procedure.
Old 21 March 2005, 06:16 PM
Topcat1
Scooby Regular

Zapper,

Information below taken from previous threads on the same subject.

"You need a pair of airbag resistors from your local Subaru dealer ! They are about £10 each ! Part No is: 98299PA040 and you need 2, one for each seat"

or

"2 x 3R3 Resistors (3.3ohm) from Maplins, bend the ends over, push in to plug under the seats and tape up for protection"

I fitted an MY04 Sti interior into my MY04 WRX,as after being used to the snug fitting seats in my Bugeye the new seats never felt the same. Before I found this information, what I did was that I took the Airbags out of the WRX seats, bubblwrapped them, placed them under the Sti Seat and plugged them back in. Have had them like this for about a year now with no problems.

I did this as Subaru Technical Support told me that if all 4 Airbags were not connected they may fail to activate during an accident.

I also informed my Insurance company of the changes.

Hope this is of help.
Old 21 March 2005, 06:48 PM
Zapper
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi Topcat1

Many thanks for your invaluable help and time in replying to this thread. I would imagine that fitting the resistor simulates the resistance of the airbag thereby correctly completing the circuit etc. With this in mind the front airbags should deploy following an accident. Hope your insurance didn't rise too much following the changes.