Bike rack on a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2005, 04:36 PM
vanman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike rack on a classic?

Hi
Could anyone reccomend a decent quality bike rack for my classic.Needs to be able to carry 2 bikes securely and without damaging the paintwork.

Colin
Old 18 March 2005, 05:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

This has been done before, try a search.

IMHO, the best bet is ALWAYS a pair of roof-bars, Subaru own brand pretty good, often available second hand, try a post in wanted.

Then you fit as many or as few bike racks/carriers to those as you need/want, up to 4..

I have the roof bars, and 4 racks on mine: 2 are French supermarket cheapies with locking screw handles (purchased seperately from Decathlon), one is a Thule upside down jobby for a lad's MTB with a strange shaped downtube, the normal grip couldn't cope with it, and one is a Thule right way up jobbie.

The bikes carried rwu are also zip tied, front wheels to either side of the seat tube clamp to steady the front wheel at speed.

Of the carriers I have, the upside down is the best, but the front wheel has to go somewhere...........

Boot mounted racks are a problem: bikes knock together, and get damaged, petrol consumption goes up by about 50%, (as against 30% for roof mounted, and 25% for towbar mounted, source: Which?), and they are hard to fit because of the spoiler. Aslo you can't get into the boot with the bikes on.

Towbar mounted ones are dear, if you include the towbar, VERY dear, and allow the bikes to knock together. Also, boot out of use.

Alcazar