Sponsored by:

Windscreen Rip Off?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 06:43 PM
gtleggy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Windscreen Rip Off?

Got split in windscreen on my 93 GT Legacy whilst driving on M3, contacted insurance and they sent me to RAC Windscreens in Feltham, took vehicle there employee told me it may take a few weeks as it was an import and reminded me of the £50 excess and I said ok, that is all I will have to pay? and he replied yes and wouild call me when the new screen arrived
Called them today has had heard nothing for a while, to be informed that the new sceen was around £1200! and my insurance cover was limited to £500 less £50 excess and I would have to pay over £750. He then threatened me with legal action if I refused to pay and also told me how the vehicle value would drop with an incorrect tinted screen fitted
I reminded him that he had told me apart from the £50 excess there were no other charges

The screen is not heated but does have the have the heavier tint at the top, I do not think this over £1200's worth
Have complained to my broker and insurance company and awaiting replies.
Recomended windscreen suppliers and fitters for alternative quotes would be appreciated
ta adrian
Old 08 March 2005, 06:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Have you tried a wholesaler? When I dealt in Porsches a screen for a 968 retailed at about £350 exc VAT but it was available from a wholesaler in Chesterfield for £135 including VAT, OEM supplier too!

Btw; you arent bound to buy the replacement from the RAC.

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 07:40 PM
posho2
Scooby Newbie

hey there,

in our bodyshop we were informed to use RAC for all insurance work, but after just 2 botched jobs we reverted back to Autoglass. Give them a try.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:22 AM
gtleggy
Scooby Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by posho2
hey there,

in our bodyshop we were informed to use RAC for all insurance work, but after just 2 botched jobs we reverted back to Autoglass. Give them a try.

Thanks for trade feed back that prompts me to contact good car dealer mate for local feed back.
As previous kind reply suggested, I have confirmed by my insurers that I can go else where to get work done

Has anyone else had £1200 or similar qoute for subaru windscreen replacement

PIP PIP Adrian
Old 09 March 2005, 10:24 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you ask for a quote tell them it is not an insurance job, usually knocks the price down 66%.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:29 AM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

RAC quoted £600+ when I could have got it for £110 but the insurance company told me to go to RAC.....I wonder why insurance costs so much?
Old 09 March 2005, 12:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My WRX screen was replaced by RAC, and the bill was just under 600 quid IIRC.

I can see a legacy being a bit more expensive ("Rarity value, sir! It's the Japanese glass" etc) but £1200 is what is commonly known as extracting the urine

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2005, 08:54 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
My WRX screen was replaced by RAC, and the bill was just under 600 quid IIRC.

I can see a legacy being a bit more expensive ("Rarity value, sir! It's the Japanese glass" etc) but £1200 is what is commonly known as extracting the urine
Had mine (STI) changed yersterday - Company car so just had to sign but the guy reckons its abour £300 to the public and less than £100 to the Insurance company. Said there is zero margins and with many Insurance they have to ring them and are told the how much they will get paid.
Old 12 March 2005, 02:21 PM
EEKTHEMOUSE
Scooby Regular

when you ask for a quote tell them it is not an insurance job, usually knocks the price down 66%.

Not to sure who your on about ?? Its the one man bands that tend to do that - milk the insurance company silly but give so called discounts to non-insurance customers.
Read the small print they say !! hows this " we take no responsibilty for damage done to your car while we are carrying out a replacement "
NICE !!!
Heres a non insurance option : buy the screen yourself then ask for a fit only price,use a good company who gives a life time warrenty eg Autoglass.
Supply and Fit :
Suburu Legacy 89 on : Blue tint £351.65 + vat
GreenGreen Tint :£1900 quid
Green Tint : £329.25 +VAT
Cost of GreenGreen tint from dealer :£1045 !! + VAT - has to come from Japan

Produce a AA membership card and get 30% off those prices - if your paying in full.

HOWEVER BRONZE BRONZE HEATEDS ARE : £2000 !! (CHASSIS NUMBER HAS 22C IN IT )

So ditch the top tint !!!

Last edited by EEKTHEMOUSE; 12 March 2005 at 02:31 PM.