Sponsored by:

02 STi first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 06:01 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 STi first impressions

Had the car for nearly a week now and very pleased.

It's a March 02 Prodrive version with PPP, Prodrive lowering springs, 18 PPF7s, defi gauge pack, new F1s etc having covered 29,000 miles with FSSH, all bills etc.

Think I mirror what others have said about the car from cold. Engine rattles a bit, the gear change is quite notchy with very slight clutch judder but once warmed up it changes significantly. Very impressed with the looks, performance and handling (big difference over my previous WRX wagon 5 dr with PPP) but the ride is very much harder than I had expected. Don't get me wrong, I did expect it to be hard when compared to my WRX but every bump in the road can be heard. I guess the lowering springs do this.

I have some brake sqeaking (light pressure on pedal) when in traffic with car coming to a smooth stop. Is there anything I can spray on the brakes to stop this? Cheers.
Old 08 March 2005, 07:59 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Badone
Had the car for nearly a week now and very pleased.

It's a March 02 Prodrive version with PPP, Prodrive lowering springs, 18 PPF7s, defi gauge pack, new F1s etc having covered 29,000 miles with FSSH, all bills etc.

Think I mirror what others have said about the car from cold. Engine rattles a bit, the gear change is quite notchy with very slight clutch judder but once warmed up it changes significantly. Very impressed with the looks, performance and handling (big difference over my previous WRX wagon 5 dr with PPP) but the ride is very much harder than I had expected. Don't get me wrong, I did expect it to be hard when compared to my WRX but every bump in the road can be heard. I guess the lowering springs do this.

I have some brake sqeaking (light pressure on pedal) when in traffic with car coming to a smooth stop. Is there anything I can spray on the brakes to stop this? Cheers.
Read recently in the Owners manual that squeaking is a sign that the brake pads are at there limit and need changing. In other words it could be the wear indicators.
Old 08 March 2005, 08:04 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jumpy clutch and heavy gearchange when cold are pretty standard I think: mine is the same. Once warm the gear-change is a lot slicker and the clutch is fine. The 02 WRX has the same clutch judder when cold. As long as it goes away once warm (I find after five minutes) then nothing is wrong.

And the ride is pretty d*mn firm with standard suspension, but you soon get used to it.

Did you get the car from a dealer or private?

M
Old 08 March 2005, 09:15 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Badone
The squealing niose is VERY common on the Newage STi Brembo brakes and is not really a sign of them being worn out If the were squealing at Heavy braking then check them.

Tony

Ps,
Brembo Pads are quite expensive, i still got squeal on DS2500's and stacks of Dust of both. EBC red Ceramics are much cheaper, no squeal and very little dust IMHO
Old 08 March 2005, 10:10 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The sti brakes do squeal, mine always have from new mostly at low pressure. Infact my neighbour has a VW R32 and that does the same.

Dipster
Old 08 March 2005, 10:24 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback. The brakes certainly seem okay so will leave it as it seems to be the norm for the car.
M - car purchased from a dealer.
Old 08 March 2005, 10:42 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Just to add to the other posts, my Brembo's have squealed from new too.

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2005, 11:07 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

I think also having an empty boot doesn't help with the bumps and noise factor especially with the springs. I'm running 34psi front and 32 rear on 225/40/18. Is this too hard? What pressures do you all run please?