Sponsored by:

got a feeling i'm being ripped off with subaru warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2005, 10:28 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb got a feeling i'm being ripped off with subaru warranty

has any one had to pay for a subaru warranty when buying a used subaru wrx.
i'm picking a subaru wrx uk300 on a 51 plate next saturday, cars priced at 14k. I've part exed my y reg ford puma for 6k so i thought i'd just have to pay another 8k and warranty's and everything would be included, the garage has explained that a bog standard warranty's no good for that kind of car so are charging me 607quid for a warranty that covers turbo and gives me subaru road side assis. Just get the feeling that i'm being ripped. Could be because i'm a woman, they might be trying it on. So all you experts out there what do you think, am i being ripped.......
Old 06 March 2005, 10:33 AM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Try looking at thread Yesterday by pmarch in this forum,
he had same prob might be of use to you.
Old 06 March 2005, 10:56 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Wink cheers mach1 minds at rest

cheers mach1 read the forum and its realy put my mind at rest. never thought warranty's would cost so much. Also do you think i've paid a fair price for the car 51 plate wrx uk 300 car's no 100 51k on the clock full s/history 14k
Old 06 March 2005, 10:58 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Is this from a Subaru dealer?

If it's a Subaru Proven Used car you should get a warranty and the Subaru Assist for free.
Old 06 March 2005, 11:00 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If it's from a dealer, then you should get as part of the Subaru Proven car warantee thing, 12months warrantee. Just got this from the Subaru website -

12month warrantee included

You get all the cover and Subaru Assistance (very good IMHO)
Sounds to me like they're trying to flog you additional warrantee that you may perceive that you don't need.

Having said that, alot of owners are getting one hell of a shocl when they try to renew their warrantee later on - up to £1200 iirc

So it may be worth looking at.

My only quibble would be the nature in which they're trying to sell it to you......

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 06 March 2005, 11:08 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Default mmmiddy not sure!

don't think i can name garage, or can i ? for example jennings sell ford cars but they are not a main dealer. Thats what kind of garage this one is . If this makes
sense!
Old 06 March 2005, 11:10 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

ahh. That explains it. You won't get the warrantee with it. And by the sounds of it, the warrantee they're selling is a 3rd party one.

Is the garage an authorised dealer/service centre for Subaru?

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 06 March 2005, 11:20 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Question confused

dan I don't know. I live in the northeast and i looked all over for wrx in my price range and to be honest this was the only car that realy caught my eye. Could have had a younger model for 500 quid cheaper with less miles but it was just a bog standard wrx ( no offence to anyone out there) just thought with it being a uk 300 it would hold it's price more i think.
Old 06 March 2005, 11:31 AM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Price of car spot on, Check out autotrader, quite a few on there,
Starting at £13999 up to £15995 so price is ok, sounds like a good deal,
good luck with your warranty chase, and most of all enjoy your scooby.
Old 06 March 2005, 11:35 AM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up cheers

cheers for that, can't wait to get behind the wheel. just gonna leave the warranty the way it is after looking on the forums, and seeing how much other people have been quoted.
Old 06 March 2005, 11:36 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

nowt wrong with the price or car

Warrantees are a pain - you'll spend a fortune buying one and never use it! however, if you don't get one, sod's law says you need a new engine!! LOL!!

good luck with the warrantee though. Surely, the garage are giving you a warrantee anyway? even if it's 6 months?

Being totally cynical, if anything's going to go wrong, it will be during this time.....

more importantly, enjoy the car!!)

Dan
Old 06 March 2005, 12:22 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Smile standard warranty plus turbo

this is exactly what i'm getting. Its a platinum standard subaru package which includes things like 12m mot, full service, full tank of petrol, 6m tax ect... this is normally provided with basic subaru's but because it's a wrx i've paid extra so that the turbo is fully covered and it also gives me road side assistanc. All this is covered for the first twelve months. Also my hubby tells me that i must use super unleaded petrol for this type of car, we've read lots of the forums and everyone seems to recommend this, but i'm just a bit worried that the garage wont fill the car up with this, they'll just use unleaded so is it advisable to use the full tank first before using the s/unleaded?
Old 06 March 2005, 12:45 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

not a bad price, but i would have said that the warranty should be included on the forecourt price. As a dealer they have to warranty the car.

You could get a uk 300 from a main dealer (b4 a haggling session) at that price and get the warranty and Subaru Assistance thrown in.

But if you are happy who cares
Old 06 March 2005, 12:55 PM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Just come off search at google and found www.warrantiesonline.co.uk and they quoted me £192.52 for 12 months cover inclusive unlimited claims up to £2.500 on my Subaru Impreza wrx sportwagon. No mention of turbo though, waiting for E Mail off them with full information. fingers crossed.
Old 06 March 2005, 12:57 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

IMHO third party warranties are worthless and a complete waste of money.
Old 06 March 2005, 01:00 PM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

No you will be ok to mix unleaded with super no probs, check garage to see what they put in, if unleaded then put in 1 bottle of Millers octane booster if you have pinking with your car, but most uk cars are ok on unleaded. It wont hurt to put octane booster in anyway, i do it's great.
Old 06 March 2005, 01:02 PM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Question

scoobynutter.Is that official or an opinion.
Old 06 March 2005, 01:08 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Default i haggled haggled haggled!

I did try to haggle, when i first looked at the car and sat down to go through some figures, they added nearly a thousand quid on top by offering various warranty's and also some sort of ins where's if the car is stolen within 3yrs you get back what you paid for it. So i said to the sales bloke you might have just added an extra 1k on to the price of the car on the forecourt. So i said doesnt matter i'm still looking anyways, this was a week ago then every day he kept ringing me with a new deal and in the end its cost me an extra 632 quid but he threw a tracker retreive in for 100 quid. But i think i couldnt get him down anymore with the car being a uk300 and not many about. ( Well i never knew of anymore for sale)
Old 06 March 2005, 01:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

*IMHO*
Old 06 March 2005, 01:25 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
Old 06 March 2005, 01:42 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up silly me

silly me. Never thought of that. Any way i have to go, got lots to do been nice chatting to everyone and value everyone's humble opinion. Thanks again and i'll catch up with everyone later this afto.
Nicola.
Old 06 March 2005, 09:23 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Default I'm back

hello everyone i'm back, i know i said this afto. Soz i'm a bit late. If anyone's got any more opinions on the subject i'll be happy to here from you. Gonna post some picy's of my new car asap i'm git excited.
Old 06 March 2005, 09:42 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Question

Was'nt there some sort of consumer law passed last year, where they have to correct any fault's on your car in the first twelve month's for free anyway. Or was it just one of those thing's they all talk about then change their mind's and back out off? It may be worth trying to find out, if it will save you £600, (even more so if this is going on a finance deal). Any reputable dealer should sort any minor problem's for you anyway, sound's cynical i know, but all the dealer's probally interested in is getting his commission on the warranty sale (probally about 35%). If it's the right car for you, you'll buy it anyway, and enjoy it, it won't take long to forget about the £600 when you start driving it!
Old 06 March 2005, 09:50 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Default respond to shaunywrx

hi shaunywrx not sure about consumer law, although you're probably right bought the car anyway, already paid deposit got finance throught he bank, work for them any ways so got canny deal but your probably right sales man making canny commision but love the car what do you do? nicola.
Old 06 March 2005, 09:51 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, by the way check the small print, i had an insurance backed warranty on a motorbike before, and when i blew the engine up (my own fault), when i went to claim they would only pay out up to £250 on any one claim, not much if anything serious go's wrong. If it's got the word INSURANCE in the title of the warranty anywhere, i myself would'nt trust it!!
Old 06 March 2005, 09:57 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ah i'm only a humble gardener, had to change my sti for a 5dr so i can fill it with rubbish and me two dog's during the week, then go and play at the weekend's. I'm 100% certan now you've got it you will enjoy it, and won't want your puma back!! .
Old 06 March 2005, 09:59 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Default insurance warranty

not sure about these things but surley you can't check small print on insurance until after i've purchased vehicle any ways, so realy there's no way around it, plus i've already paid deposit. I'm getting doubts in my mind again please someone reassure me I've got a worth while deal.
Old 06 March 2005, 10:04 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Cool re : puma

I know your probably right but i'll miss my little nippy machine.Great for getting into small spaces. I'm also a keen gardener. (don't laugh everyone)
Old 06 March 2005, 10:05 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about the deal, it seem's like a good one to me, iv'e just paid £15500 for a 5dr wrx on an 03 plate, the price your paying sound's good to me. And a friend of mine's got an 02 plate sti with nearly 60000 mile's on it been abused since new, and never had a thing go wrong with it. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING.
Old 06 March 2005, 10:12 PM
carlos30
Scooby Regular

Talking puma girl

so if my engine blows up can i blame you ! ( ONLY KIDDING) No honestly i'm sure i'm doing the right thing. But i'll still miss my little girl (puma baby) great cars
propa womans car tee hee.

Quick Reply: got a feeling i'm being ripped off with subaru warranty