Sponsored by:

The Alternative view .....

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2005, 12:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face The Alternative view .....

With the threads on here complaining about residuals (or lack of) on the Imprezas I have a story ...................

A friend of mine has an interesting way of driving .....

He buys his cars from either the auctions or direct from the scrappy - you would be truly amazed at what he picks up and the condition of them .... he only ever pays £150!

The cars are always diesels, and always have a MOT.

His current car has blown its head gasket, he sourced an engine at a scrappie for £100 .... when he arrived he found the car that the engine would be removed from was in great condition .... listen to this ...

It has 3 months MOT, 3 weeks TAX, 50,000miles, 1 Owner, its a Citreon BX and no-one wants them ..... hence the scrappie picked it up free from the last elderly owner.

My mate has just paid £150 for it!! YES £150!! it will do him for 2 or 3 years - he services once when he buys and thats it .............. runs it into the ground!

Generally costs him a TOTAL (including the car cost) of about £350 for 2 years motoring (allowing for parts and ignoring tax insurance and diesel!)

I 'think' he has it worked out perfectly!! Whereas our money might go on fancy cars and expensive useless mods ............ his goes on property - he's made a killing!!

Are we completely and utterly MAD? Or has he missed the point?

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 02 March 2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02 March 2005, 12:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

It is a cheap way of motoring, but I for one wouldn't be seen dead in a Citroen BX diesel. Fast cars are an important part of my life (sad but true) and I think I'd be thoroughly depressed every time I got into a car like that. Dont think you'd have much fun driving one of those!
Old 02 March 2005, 12:33 PM
yoza
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy a nice jacket for £150, or cut three holes in a bin bag.

They both serve the sam purpose, but you will look a **** in the bin bag.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:56 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza

LMFAO - so true.
Old 02 March 2005, 02:00 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Good point, well made
Old 02 March 2005, 02:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Unless you write '****' in big letters across the front, that's ok then on the basis that you can wear whatever old crap you like as long as it's got a fashionable name!
Old 02 March 2005, 03:05 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Unless you write '****' in big letters across the front, that's ok then on the basis that you can wear whatever old crap you like as long as it's got a fashionable name!
PMSL. So true...

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2005, 04:01 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

what is he saving his money for ? ie , what is he going to eventually spend it on or is he going to be the richest man in the graveyard
Old 02 March 2005, 04:01 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
With the threads on here complaining about residuals (or lack of) on the Imprezas I have a story ...................

He buys his cars from either the auctions or direct from the scrappy - you would be truly amazed at what he picks up and the condition of them .... he only ever pays £150!

His current car has blown its head gasket, he sourced an engine at a scrappie for £100 .... when he arrived he found the car that the engine would be removed from was in great condition .... listen to this ...

It has 3 months MOT, 3 weeks TAX, 50,000miles, 1 Owner, its a Citreon BX and no-one wants them ..... hence the scrappie picked it up free from the last elderly owner.

My mate has just paid £150 for it!! YES £150!! it will do him for 2 or 3 years - he services once when he buys and thats it .............. runs it into the ground!

Generally costs him a TOTAL (including the car cost) of about £350 for 2 years motoring (allowing for parts and ignoring tax insurance and diesel!)

I 'think' he has it worked out perfectly!! Whereas our money might go on fancy cars and expensive useless mods ............ his goes on property - he's made a killing!!

Pete
If he was that clever he would have picked it up from the old lady himself and saved the £150
Old 02 March 2005, 04:39 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
i dont care cos he's driving a sh*tty £150 citreon.
Old 02 March 2005, 04:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

To be honest, it's a good point you're making Pete.

Flaming 'eck, did I just really write that?

To a lot of people, in fact the vast majority on here - myself included - , a car is more than just something to get you from a to b. It's a "statement" of sorts.

I sold my WRX last Friday as I need something cheaper to run. I considered saying "***** to this lark", and going for something udner a grand that would be semi-reliable, and get me from A to B most of the time. To add to that, I was going to have a "fun" car like an elise, or caterfield, or even possibly something like a tuned 200sx.

But I'd have got annoyed with driving a heap and it would have ended up costing me more, so I've gone for a teutonic tossermobile instead.

I was tempted by the money aspeect of this way of car running, in the same way that the Felicity Kendal aspect of the good life could be tempting... But it wasn't for me, I'll stick with capitalism and trying to get one up on your peers.
Old 02 March 2005, 05:33 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

and the tossermobile being ????