Sponsored by:

Just test drove a STI 05

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 03:55 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove a STI 05

Went over to Ridings at Preston this afternoon, (the only one in the area that had a demo). Dealer handed me the keys and said "how long do you want it for"
Nice of him, anyway after filling it with petrol, the last kind sole that had taken it left it with fumes only, I tried to find a peice of national speed limit.
Bit busy but found some nice twisties and let rip.
Usual peakie power in first and second but third upwards seemed more smooth. Really needs the PPP to make it into a real car.
But... the handle, absolutly superb, really really good, after coming from a MR340 to this it clung to the road like glue. I was pushing it harder and harder and it just wouldn't let go. Big differance to my old STI 04 with Prodrive springs and PFF 18" and I thought that handled well.
Interior was better but still the squeekie box radio stereo.
Chassis felt taut and the brakes where brick wall.
Overall well impressed.
They offered me £1500 off list straight away. Very tempting
Old 26 February 2005, 03:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Why not wait for the 2.5 to come out in around 6 or 7 months time?
Old 26 February 2005, 04:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by compshack
Went over to Ridings at Preston this afternoon, (the only one in the area that had a demo). Dealer handed me the keys and said "how long do you want it for"
Nice of him, anyway after filling it with petrol, the last kind sole that had taken it left it with fumes only, I tried to find a peice of national speed limit.
Usual peakie power in first and second but third upwards seemed more smooth. Really needs the PPP to make it into a real car.
But... the handle, absolutly superb, really really good, after coming from a MR340 to this it clung to the road like glue. I was pushing it harder and harder and it just wouldn't let go. Big differance to my old STI 04 with Prodrive springs and PFF 18" and I thought that handled well.
Overall well impressed.
i had a test drive in an 05 sti last friday (200 miles + £40 worth of juice)
haven't driven any other new shape models before and i'm currently finding out how many vital organs i actually need to survive.
gonna sell the rest to see if i can afford this car

very impressed in case you hadn't gathered that

interesting to hear you find it impressive after the 340 evo, my plan after years of scooby ownership was to move to an evo. but seeing how good the 05 is, maybe that will find it's way onto my drive (if my numbers come up tonight that is!!)
Old 26 February 2005, 04:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Why not wait for the 2.5 to come out in around 6 or 7 months time?
AFAIK no one has actually stated (officially) that the uk or any eu country is going to get the 2.5ltr (i doubt if it passes eu emissions regs now).
Still stuck with the 2ltr cars, but maybe more power from the ppp's

Tony
Old 26 February 2005, 04:53 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
AFAIK no one has actually stated (officially) that the uk or any eu country is going to get the 2.5ltr (i doubt if it passes eu emissions regs now).

Tony
Don't know then. Still Prodrive have been testing a PPP in the 2.5 Forester, which might be the ground work for the kit in the STi. And a salesman i know said Subaru UK have told them to expect a 2.5 Imperza at the end of the year...
Old 26 February 2005, 06:20 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Nod and wink to me, too, suggested 2.5 @ the year end. I had a 2.5 XT Forrester on the 24 hours testdrive ticket. It's very 'american' in the way you need to change gear less often as it picks up from low revs. But it was heavy on fuel (to be fair, it was less-than 1000 Miles old) and it seemed to 'de-focus' the car (engine weight and balance??): I confirmed this subjective impression by driving a normally aspirated 2.0 X subsequently. But when you set up to overtake there's nothing wrong with the grunt at all Were it not for the success of Ian Litchfields Imprezas I'd be a bit sceptical. I think it's something I might fight shy of for the first 18 months until they've got it sorted for UK conditions and Prodrive have had time to do their stuff. At which time we're into 'new model' anyway, aren't we??

Cheers

P
Old 26 February 2005, 06:26 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
Nod and wink to me, too, suggested 2.5 @ the year end. I had a 2.5 XT Forrester on the 24 hours testdrive ticket. It's very 'american' in the way you need to change gear less often as it picks up from low revs. But it was heavy on fuel (to be fair, it was less-than 1000 Miles old) and it seemed to 'de-focus' the car (engine weight and balance??): I confirmed this subjective impression by driving a normally aspirated 2.0 X subsequently. But when you set up to overtake there's nothing wrong with the grunt at all Were it not for the success of Ian Litchfields Imprezas I'd be a bit sceptical. I think it's something I might fight shy of for the first 18 months until they've got it sorted for UK conditions and Prodrive have had time to do their stuff. At which time we're into 'new model' anyway, aren't we??

Cheers

P
Out of interest, what sort of mpg did you get out of the 2.5 Forester?

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2005, 07:21 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Talking

"i'm currently finding out how many vital organs i actually need to survive. "

Hoskib, the clue is in the name you need all of them !

lol
Old 26 February 2005, 07:50 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

I went for a test drive in one at York last week. When I turned up the only one they had was the one in the showroom. Credit to them, they moved about 5 cars to get it out for a quick spin. Trouble was it was too quick!

Engine not properly up to temp, brakes werent bedded in (only 5 miles on clock) and the thing just felt a bit tight. Had to take it back as it was still to be registered. Impressions? Turn in superb, comfort good, build quality excellent. Performance? No idea.

Felt 40bhp down on my modded classic,(290) but bearing in mind coldish engine (I probably only did a total of 3 miles!) could maybe feel quicker when warm/run in.
Brakes? Good firm pedal, but they werent bedded in so no idea of power. Coming from AP's on mine I really wanted to get a feel for them aswell.
Trouble is finding somewhere fairly local that has one available to test.

Any comments on the missing bits of my test drive would be appreciated. Daz
Old 26 February 2005, 07:52 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

interesting to hear you find it impressive after the 340 evo, my plan after years of scooby ownership was to move to an evo. but seeing how good the 05 is
Too be honest the evo was the fastest car I have ever driven. It would leave the STi PPP standing in a straight line shoot out, but on the twisties I'm not so sure.
Having all that power was fine but then you had to steer round a corner, sometimes it got ... well dangerous, the whole car would squerm as if it was about to loose it all together.
The Evo was like a weapon, something from the devil it's self, and living with it from a day to day basis was demanding.
Going from that back to the Sti normal service was resumed and it just felt like putting those old sneekers on again albeit the modern type.
I think that If I kept the Evo for any length of time I would either kill myself or loose my licence, it was that extreme.
The MR340 was the best Evo I had driven, the FQ 300, 330'S where really twitchy and hard suspension but the MR340 was differant more controlled but light that fuse and... look out!
Old 26 February 2005, 07:59 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Did you play with the DCCD?
Is this a bit of a gimmick or the real deal?
I sort of got the impression that a standard sti tuk just wouldn't have the power to unstick itself, kind of rendering it a bit useless.
I thought a PPP would be a good move though. Daz
Old 26 February 2005, 09:06 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Good man.
Thinking about it too (hard probably)

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
The 05 I test drove with 5k miles on it deffo needed the PPP and imho the DCCD is just a gimmick for everyday road use

That didn't however put me off ordering one
Old 26 February 2005, 09:13 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
Trust me, its coming...
Old 26 February 2005, 09:13 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

No I didn't play with the DCCD, kept it in Auto mode, It felt a lot more focused than the previous 04 model. Don't know if that was the DCCD or just the setup.
If you could give this baby the power of the evo it would be crushing.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:21 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about that too. Dont know wether to spend 2k on PPP or ditch the warranty and get another GEMS ecu (due out shortly) & full decat. I know you can remap the existing ecu but cant see it being as good as a stand alone system with anti lag.
Modding it before I've bought one. Addictive stuff these...

No I didn't play with the DCCD, kept it in Auto mode, It felt a lot more focused than the previous 04 model. Don't know if that was the DCCD or just the setup.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:26 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Yup, its called a Type 25
Old 26 February 2005, 09:58 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Overall well impressed.
brakes are the same arn't they... and i think there crap .. at least without EBC reds!!!

Nice treview though..
i'm waiting for the end of the year...! :-)
Old 26 February 2005, 10:15 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

TonyBurns>AFAIK no one has actually stated (officially) that the uk or any eu country is going to get the 2.5ltr (i doubt if it passes eu emissions regs now).

Tony... I thought the US got the 2.5 in the first place because the 2.0 would not meet Californian emission laws and the 2.5 would?? That's what I read in one of the motoring mags anyway...
Old 26 February 2005, 10:17 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydood
TonyBurns>AFAIK no one has actually stated (officially) that the uk or any eu country is going to get the 2.5ltr (i doubt if it passes eu emissions regs now).

Tony... I thought the US got the 2.5 in the first place because the 2.0 would not meet Californian emission laws and the 2.5 would?? That's what I read in one of the motoring mags anyway...
You've hit the nail on the head.
Old 27 February 2005, 01:47 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOBBY G
"i'm currently finding out how many vital organs i actually need to survive. "

Hoskib, the clue is in the name you need all of them !

lol
damn, damn, **** and blast

had a nice back street surgeon lined up aswell, pics done for ebay and everything

Too be honest the evo was the fastest car I have ever driven. It would leave the STi PPP standing in a straight line shoot out, but on the twisties I'm not so sure.
Having all that power was fine but then you had to steer round a corner, sometimes it got ... well dangerous, the whole car would squerm as if it was about to loose it all together.
i think this about spot on, does seem that subaru have at least closed the gap to the Evo to a point that the average driver will be about the same pace in either i feel a good driver will still be in front in the evo though.
Old 27 February 2005, 02:09 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Summing up all I have read on the net, motoring mags etc etc - It would seem that on the road there is very little difference between the evo and the Scoob - although on very good roads the evo would have the edge and on poor B roads the Scoob....

BUT the Evo will still be quicker on the track.
Old 27 February 2005, 02:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

imho the DCCD is just a gimmick for everyday road use
Old 27 February 2005, 02:24 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dazc
Dont know wether to spend 2k on PPP or ditch the warranty and get another GEMS ecu (due out shortly) & full decat. I know you can remap the existing ecu but cant see it being as good as a stand alone system with anti lag.
Old 27 February 2005, 05:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Does the 05 STi have the twin scroll turbo?
Old 27 February 2005, 06:24 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Not the UK one, no
Old 27 February 2005, 09:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wonder why not. Is it an emissions thing?
Old 27 February 2005, 09:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Wonder why not. Is it an emissions thing?
Yup, shows the rating on a sticker under my bonnet as .5% co2.

Tony
Old 27 February 2005, 09:54 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
You don't agree obviously johnfelstead

please enlighten me as to its definative advantages,bearing in mind that my car will never be going near a track.

I'm not taking the pish here,I'm genuinly in the dark as to what advantages the DCCD option can offer a cabbage driver like myself
Old 27 February 2005, 10:00 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Jon, IIRC you weren't into getting the car sideways etc (no offence meant there, its not everyones thing) If you're not the type that will be pushing the car to any degree then i suspect you wont get anything from it. I get upset if I dont get a powerslide when I take the car out so I get full use of it

Have a read of John's DCCD thread if you can find it.

(LOL at John F )

MB
Old 27 February 2005, 10:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not taking the pish here,I'm genuinly in the dark as to what advantages the DCCD option can offer a cabbage driver like myself
Well the A-DCCD is more than just a gimick, it does actually have some uses
Now you could say that quick rack steering is a gimick over the fast rack, but drive a car with a quick rack and feel the difference, much better turn in, the A-DCCD is the same, it aids your driving giving better control/balance, and once you have driven a car with it, you will understand

Tony

Quick Reply: Just test drove a STI 05