Sponsored by:

WR1 (04) vs 04 Sti PPP - Differences

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 01:10 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 (04) vs 04 Sti PPP - Differences

Having got a quote for WR1 identical to that of STi pro-drive (feel free to see my post on Insurance forum and comment please), I'm now severely tempted. I was going to put deposit down on the Sti pro-drive tomorrow but now I've gotta start thinking all over again.

What are the main differences between the two cars, performance, looks, handling, braking etc please ?
Old 26 February 2005, 01:23 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Found this review - now my query on the Insurance thread becomes ever more valid.

Things aren’t too different from an STi on the inside, save for grey rather than blue trim for the comfortable and supportive bucket seats, a commemorative plaque on the dash, numbered tax disc holder and ‘WR1’ logos on the floor mats and aluminium gearknob.

Then there’s the pair of switches beside the handbrake that operate the WR1’s DCCD, or Driver’s Control Centre Differential; flick from automatic to manual mode and a dial allows you to vary the torque distribution between the front and rear wheels – delivering up to 64 per cent of the WR1’s power to the back end. This transforms the Impreza’s performance on track. Where the STi was a determined understeerer, the WR1 is hugely adjustable and in slower corners just stepping on the power allows you to indulge in classic rear-drive oversteer. The steering isn’t as direct as that of a Mitsubishi Evo, but still feels sharp, and hefty weighting inspires confidence.

There’s loads of grip from the 225/40 Pirelli P-Zero Neros and traction is breathtaking. Rev to 7000rpm, drop the clutch and the WR1 acts as if it has been drop-kicked by Jonny Wilkinson, accompanied by a classic Scooby hammering flat-four soundtrack. Exhaust and catalyst mods and a revised ECU have boosted power to 316bhp at 5800rpm – that’s 15bhp more at 200rpm less than the STi PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack). Torque is up by 11lb ft to 310lb ft at the same 4000rpm and Subaru claims the WR1 will hit 60mph from rest in 4.3sec – compared to the 5.1sec we managed in an STi PPP.

But figures don’t tell the whole story: it’s how the power arrives that impresses most. It’s still possible to be caught in no-man’s land below 3500rpm, but delivery is far more linear than the light-switch action of the STi.

The huge Brembo brakes are standard STi – which means massive retardation and impressive pedal feel – as is the six-speed gearbox, so there’s the usual short throw, close gate, and lots of built-in obstinacy.

Where the WR1 really excels, and puts clear air between itself and either STi or Evo, is on the road. Prodrive has once again worked its magic: uprated springs and dampers ensure superb body control, but without the expected jarring ride. Instead, the WR1 absorbs minor surface intrusions with indifference.
Old 26 February 2005, 01:30 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

get a WR1 then
Old 26 February 2005, 02:24 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

or an STi 05 PPP
Old 26 February 2005, 07:50 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Or an 05 Spec C
Old 26 February 2005, 08:28 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

I had a STi 04 with PPP, after nearly buying a WR1. The diffearances are Prodrive 18" PFF wheels with Pirelli zero nero tyres, prodrive springs (lowering the car and aiding handling) DCCD controlable centre diff, prodrive front grills and spot lights and the special PPP 320 PSI.
I had all this done to the STi (apart from the diff) and it was a superb car, in both performance and handling, very well balanced, and just enough power without really being over the top (read MR340).
I have seen second hand Wr1's for as little as 25k
Resale value the WR1 would be better, but it depends on what you paid initially.
You should also look at the STi 05 with the better suspension and handling and the dccd.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by spec-cie
Or an 05 Spec C
Actually anything from an MY03 Spec C really as these still have a better tech spec than the latest euro cars
But the Spec C isnt for everyone, its very hard and most people who are borderline with a standard STi wont like the extra stiffness in the suspension setup of this car.
Now there is still one WR1 that hasnt been sold (do a search on the subaru uk website) and has 10miles on the clock, though personally the MY03/4/5 JDM cars are better and are more worthy of looking at

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2005, 09:19 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Now there is still one WR1 that hasnt been sold (do a search on the subaru uk website) and has 10miles on the clock, though personally the MY03/4/5 JDM cars are better and are more worthy of looking at

Tony
Interesting for me that when I do a search on the site there are at least 4 WR1s shown as available. Now that's a bummer if the site isn't up to date as I fancied a trip to Romford this morning. I saw this car a couple of weeks back and didn't want to touch it because of the insurance. Have an on-line quote listing the WR1 full NCB + protection and I've upped vol excess coming out at £588. Now part of me says they have it all wrong but another part says that the quote actually lists the car as a WR1 so if I needed to claim it would be their own stupidity for failing to underwrite the car correctly their end.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:23 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yup there are a few for sale, but only one with 10miles on the clock the rest either seem to be ex demonstrators or people who didnt like them.....

Tony
Old 26 February 2005, 09:38 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yup there are a few for sale, but only one with 10miles on the clock the rest either seem to be ex demonstrators or people who didnt like them.....

Tony
Cheers,

The car I have now (MY01 WRX) was my intro to Scoobies. It is an ex-demonstrator but I thought the trade off between enhanced spec and other people thrashing it before I got it wasn't too shabby.

The Sti would be a step up for me but I thought I'd go the whole hog and get Prodrive. Having got a quote for WR1 that was identical to Sti ppp I'm now very, very tempted but a bit wary about the insurance issue if I need to claim and they release they've under-quoted.
Old 26 February 2005, 09:44 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

I believe that the prodrive the insurance are quoting on is the STI Prodrive which was a bugeye with prodrive styling if I remember correctly (ie no performance increase). They are not quoting for PPP! I had the exact same thing when I was considering an STI PPP.... you just can't trust the muppets to understand what you're talking about. Makes it even funnier when you consider that there is no such thing as the STI prodrive any more and I was getting quotes for a brand new car. Suffice to say, I removed all risk of insurance f@ck ups and just bought a WR1 - that way they can't try and weasel their way out of any claims by saying that I didn't tell then what had been done to the car.

oh yeh and I'm only paying just over 800 quid and I'm 28 - much cheaper than it would have been for an STI PPP - once you can find someone who knows what it is that is....

As far as the insurance is concerned an STI PPP is a modified car - the WR1 isn't - hence its cheaper to insure!
Old 26 February 2005, 09:48 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Had another massive sideways moment in my WR1 this morning in 2nd gear. So nice to slide about.
I have no regrets buying one and used my warranty this week to quite a big ammount car was returned in 2 days no quibble.
Now that why I would NEVER buy an import even if the tech specs are slightly better
Old 26 February 2005, 09:49 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Damn, this is getting on my t*tties now. No doubt if I phoned them up and clarified the PPP rather than the pro-drive styling I would get a quote that was 4-500 more than quoted on the website. However if I accepted the quote online for the WR1 I can't see them having any defence as the performance is standard spec for the car.
Old 26 February 2005, 10:03 AM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

I had the option of:

WR1 £29950
05 Sti £25950
04 Sti (Discounted) £22500

I went for the 05 sti as its a better starting platform than the WR1 and a totally differant car to the 04 Sti.

Now looking at PPP'ing it, but one thing that I have noticed is the build quality of the 05 model has come on in leaps and bounds over my old 03 model.

But at the end of the day the choice is yours.
Old 26 February 2005, 10:34 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Cool

Would anyone consider, switching an 03 sti ppp for a wr1? Is it that different?
Old 26 February 2005, 10:49 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WR1's are awesome bits of kit!!!! Personally I would rather wait until next years rumblings to be finalised before buying a brand new car...... 2.5ltr, handling mods of STi05 (suspension, track, wheelbase etc etc), DCCD-A and 300bhp standard.... sounds an interesting proposition.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 February 2005, 12:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARRON BIRD
Had another massive sideways moment in my WR1 this morning in 2nd gear. So nice to slide about.
I have no regrets buying one and used my warranty this week to quite a big ammount car was returned in 2 days no quibble.
Now that why I would NEVER buy an import even if the tech specs are slightly better
Aaron,
Its not just the tech specs on the JDM cars that are better, its the complete package, and considering they dont need to be remapped to push 320ps and much higher levels of torque, its a better base to start from (plus cheaper )

The WR1 was the best to get in the uk, but is isnt the best scoob to get

Tony
Old 26 February 2005, 05:01 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARRON BIRD
What did you manage to **** on your WR1 then Arron?

Mine has just come up to 3.5k and is feeling much freer... nothing amiss yet!
I still haven't had the hoses done (will get em done at the 5k service).