Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I need to run in my05 STI ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2005, 03:23 PM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Why do I need to run in my05 STI ?

It may sound like a stupid question but why do I need to run in MY05 STI ?

I collect the car next tuesday and I know I am going to be tempted to drive the car how it should be driven way before the first 1k miles.

In the past on my last 2 cars "honda civic type r's" I have never needed to run them in.....so why on the scooby ?
Old 25 February 2005, 03:37 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Can't talk about the STi, but after much research (okay, internet surfing etc.) I chose this method for my 05 WRX:

Keep to under 3000 rpm and don't floor it at all until the car is properly warmed up (see various threads ehre about how long that takes).

Don't leave it ticking over when warming up; drive it nicely.

When warmed up, drive it like you stole it (but stay around 1,000 rpm off the redline and don't keep it at high revs continuously)...

Keep this going for the first 1,000 miles or so and avoid running for a long time at any rpm figure (keep varying speeds and revs).

Does this work? Well, my car was delivered with 160 miles on the clock, so this process started then. It now has lasted over 2,000 miles and goes great (although I have nothing to compare it to!)...

Try looking at www.mototuneusa.com for more info (thanks to Frank on iwoc).

The worst mpg I've had was when running in!

Please note, however, my car is a company car and I don't have to pay for servicing, fuel, oil etc.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:39 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by montymole1

I collect the car next tuesday and I know I am going to be tempted to drive the car how it should be driven way before the first 1k miles.

In the past on my last 2 cars "honda civic type r's" I have never needed to run them in.....so why on the scooby ?
Every car I have ever owned has had to be run in for at least 1,000 miles. I think the Porsche was 2,500 miles.

I am sure someone will give you a technical explanation, but as far as I am aware it isn't unusual - in fact it's more unusual to find a car that doesn't need running in.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:39 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ru'
Can't talk about the STi, but after much research (okay, internet surfing etc.) I chose this method for my 05 WRX:

Keep to under 3000 rpm and don't floor it at all until the car is properly warmed up (see various threads ehre about how long that takes).

Don't leave it ticking over when warming up; drive it nicely.

When warmed up, drive it like you stole it (but stay around 1,000 rpm off the redline and don't keep it at high revs continuously)...

Keep this going for the first 1,000 miles or so and avoid running for a long time at any rpm figure (keep varying speeds and revs).

Does this work? Well, my car was delivered with 160 miles on the clock, so this process started then. It now has lasted over 2,000 miles and goes great (although I have nothing to compare it to!)...

Try looking at www.mototuneusa.com for more info (thanks to Frank on iwoc).

The worst mpg I've had was when running in!

Please note, however, my car is a company car and I don't have to pay for servicing, fuel, oil etc.
Probably best not to follow this advice.

Bear in mind that the oil is very thin running in stuff which gets changed at the 1K service.

Don't drive the *** off if straight away, just be sensible.

Shaun
Old 25 February 2005, 03:50 PM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that the oil is very thin running in stuff which gets changed at the 1K service.

Shaun

I guess your right ! I will do my best to drive sensible....I just cant see it doing any damage....the car was built to be driven.

And I know that my type r engine is bullet proof.....but I am hopeing the scooby will be even better !

It's gona be hard....but being sensible has got to be right.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:50 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Check out that website; sorry you have to register - there's compelling arguements,

Having said that, it was what I wanted to hear (keeping it below 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles was totally not!).

I'd guess oil consumption would be a good sign I'd done something bad? It's probably too early to tell, but I'll keep y'all posted with what mine does.
Old 25 February 2005, 03:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL cars have a running in period, this isnt just for the engine, its for ALL the working parts.
If you dont run the car in properly it can lead to problems later in the cars life, it could also invalidate your warranty!! as you are not following the manufacturers advice, plus in the first 1k you find most of the problems the car is going to suffer from (though its a subaru and not a renault so things shouldnt fall off )

Best advice is run the car in to the specification given by the manufacturer, oil change then run in another 500 miles, then help yourself though the car will still be very tight as scoobs dont normally start to loosen up until they have 5k+ on the clock.

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2005, 04:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ru'
Think this says it all really
ru' you shouldnt have followed this guys advice, he doesnt have to pay anything for this car, its not his.

Tony
Old 25 February 2005, 04:02 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

I used to have a MY00 UK Turbo as a company car.

Got it from new and whilst I didn't rag it I certainly enjoyed the first 1000 miles.

Did 76000 miles in 3 years and all that went wrong was a sidelight bulb and the airconditioning belt.

So who knows - maybe I was lucky.
Old 25 February 2005, 04:05 PM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Wink

[QUOTE=TonyBurns]ALL cars have a running in period, this isnt just for the engine, its for ALL the working parts.
If you dont run the car in properly it can lead to problems later in the cars life, it could also invalidate your warranty!! as you are not following the manufacturers advice, plus in the first 1k you find most of the problems the car is going to suffer from (though its a subaru and not a renault so things shouldnt fall off )

Best advice is run the car in to the specification given by the manufacturer, oil change then run in another 500 miles, then help yourself though the car will still be very tight as scoobs dont normally start to loosen up until they have 5k+ on the clock.

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony, Let's just hope nothing goes wrong ! but from what I have read so far it seem's scooby's are reliable....

I will keep you all posted if i get any problems....

Role on Tuesday
Old 25 February 2005, 04:11 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Think this says it all really
ru' you shouldnt have followed this guys advice, he doesnt have to pay anything for this car, its not his.

Tony
No, it's my car which is a company one - I wrote this to give some background idea of my attitude.

I must admit that I may have done things differently if it were mine (not that I'd ever buy a brand new car anyway). Note, however, that I don't drive it like I don't care; it always gets warmed up and given time to cool off etc. where necessary.

It's also a good point about the other elements of a car; my engine may be fine (better than if run in as per the manual) but who knows if the gearbox, transmission and suspension etc. will break soon!
Old 25 February 2005, 04:11 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Never run anything in..thrased my scoob of the dealers forcourt...never went wrong.

Unless you want to keep it for 10 years just hammer the thing!
Old 25 February 2005, 04:14 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by montymole1

YOU dont have to, I will do it for you - would be interesting to compare with my 03 STi....

PATIENCE!!!
Old 25 February 2005, 04:25 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban

Shaun
Apparently not... I am reliably informed that the scoob engines are all run in on the bench.... the 1k business is to let everything else bed down (i.e. transmission/brakes/diffs etc.)

The UK spec EU imports like mine don't come with any different oil in them than standard and in fact the 1k service isn't even obligatory.... it's straight to the 10k!!!!! And let's face it... when the cars come off the production line in Japan the engines and running gear are not assembled for the UK in anyway different to the rest of Europe..

I'm beginning to think the thin oil thing is a bit of an urban myth!

Paul
Old 25 February 2005, 04:38 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

FWIW - my understanding is that newly machined parts will inevitably have 'rough edges' (at microscopic levels that is) and that these get worn off as gears intermesh, pistons move in the bores and so on when the piece of machinery (whether a car or something else) is first run. Thus, there's an unusually high concentration of metallic swarf floating around which needs to be removed otherwise it may subsequently act as an abrasive. Hence the different grade of oil - to aid the smoothing-off process and the subsequent removal of the swarf. And that's why running-in periods are deemed important by many manufacturers.

As Tony says, Scoobies aren't really loosed up until about 5k on the clock.... often fuel consumption improves around the 5K - 10K miles mark: did on all three I've had

Cheers

Phil
Old 25 February 2005, 05:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Good point; if following 'my' running in procedure, it is advisable to change the oil at least once before you get to 1,000 miles and the first service inspection thing.
Old 25 February 2005, 05:09 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

My car was an ex-demo, and had 70 miles on the clock, and had already been run in at the factory as most demos are worn in a bit more before they get to the dealer.

Even though I was given the STI run in guide, which was basically keep the car under 4500 revs for the first 1000 miles and then after the service you can play as you wish.

This wasn't to difficult to do, as 4500 revs gives you a little taste of the speed of the car,turbo just kicking in, and allows you to cruise comfortably at about 90 -100mph.

Not sure what car you are coming from, I only had a 1.4 l Pug before hand, and so was quite happy to drive around with the limiter set at 4000 revs just to get use to the car's handlilng and the speed of it.

Trust me it is worth the wait until after the 1000 miles when you try your first launch and the horizon disappears into the distance in your mirror!!!
Old 25 February 2005, 06:35 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

tiggs I hope when you come to sell your car(s), the person buying doesn't do an extensive search of your posts

Never run anything in..thrased my scoob of the dealers forcourt...never went wrong.

Unless you want to keep it for 10 years just hammer the thing!
Old 25 February 2005, 06:42 PM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

and not that you can but don't use 5th and 6th in a 30 speed limit
Old 25 February 2005, 06:58 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

however driving at 60 in a 30 limit in 5th and 6th is ok

(just kidding :P )
Old 25 February 2005, 07:37 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Thats why the first 1000 mile service is just and oil and filter change.

Fine, rag it from the start if you like, but I wouldn't like to run the risk of extensive damage - you may be fine...you may not.

FWIW - I watched someone floor their brand new WRX, from cold, from the forecourt - if you saw the **** that came out of the exhaust at the 3 gear changes, you wouldn't do it again !!!!