Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any UK turbo owners upgrade to an STi...?????

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2000, 01:28 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...as I am seriously considering it!

Basically I have a 97MY UK car and have just got a BIG dog! Therefore I need a 5Dr.

The options are 00MY from dealer (need finance!) at around 19K or an Sti V5/6 for 22K.

Has anyone upgraded like this before;

1) I have seen comments that the Sti standard suspension is a tad stiff for UK B roads - as this is my only car I need the all round ability of the UK. Will an Sti need Leda fitted?

2) Is the performance difference really that big? I have ITG, SS back box and bleed valve (running abut 1 bar).

3) Anyone put serious millage on an STi?

4) Any idea what the approx difference in insurance is?

Any comments most welcome....
Old 24 August 2000, 01:54 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Hi

Can't answer all your questions but you could consider a WRX. They apparently have slightly softer suspension although it's a personal thing - I never thought the STi was too firm.

I've done 33000 miles in mine since March last year and it's never really missed a beat.

I guess the best advice is: take one for a test drive...
Old 24 August 2000, 02:12 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

James,

I went from a UK turbo to an STI. Main gripe I have with the STI is that 5th gear is a little too short ( 4,000rpm = 80mph)and that I have to use SUL. However, the rest of the car is fabulous. Done nearly 10,000 miles since April 25th this year. Can't fault it really. Apparently a standard WRX is softer and the gearing is in-between a UK car and the STI.

Cheers

Matt
Old 24 August 2000, 02:20 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Insurance may scare you off: get a quote! Other than that, take a test drive... I dare not take a test drive personally, because I know what would happen would be extremely expensive
Old 24 August 2000, 02:26 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - keep the info coming....

WRX.....muumm probably too close to my UK in all respects to justify the expense of changing.....
Old 24 August 2000, 02:40 PM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

I had 2 UK cars (95MY & PPP 98MY) before changing to an STi (all cars were 4 doors)
Suspension is harder - but not that much & I can live with it.
The Sti is faster than either of the 2 UK cars - by quite a margin. Dont care what people say about the performance being minimal - its much faster. First thing my wife said on the test drive was how much faster it feels. Esp top end.
Insurance on STi was only about £100 more than the 98MY UK car. Not a huge problem for me.
I also bought it for the tuning potential - starting from a base of around 280bhp appealed to me !

Brew
Old 24 August 2000, 05:42 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Went from a UK MY 97 with SS and 172, so an STi 5, with SS and 17s.
The Sti isn't as good in the wet. It's not too hard but I'm getting Eibachs fitted and will see how I get on with them.
Did 30k in a year and loved it - till the engine went bang. One of those things.

Get a VERY good warranty with it. They are a fair amount quicker. You will be able to overtake a UK fairly easily. Above 100, they don't really figure.

I get better mpg outta the Sti!!

Soon it'll be back better than ever. If you get one, you must get a downpipe. They're strangled by the standard one.

Even with the engine going, theres no way I'd swap it back for a UK one.

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2000, 05:42 PM
Stephen Cole
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
A related question about the STi 5-door
Do the rear seats fold down ?
I've hear two different stories, one says seats dont fold down, one implies they do.

What about the rear strut brace -- does this get in the way if you occasionally need to carry a big load (with seats down), [I assume you could easily unbolt it quickly]

Is it any different in an Sti3 compared to a 4 or 5 ?

Stephen
WRX 5-door, tempted by an STi 5-door

Old 25 August 2000, 12:18 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I bought an STi after testing a UK and STi back to back; the spec was so much better in the STi and the performance difference was noticeable even under "trying to take it all in" test drive conditions.
A couple of points though are that only the 2 doors STis have short gearing so a 5 door should be the same as the UK ratios, and as far as the stiff suspesion goes, £200 quid will get you a set of Eibachs fitted and this sorts it completely (they work especially well with the STi dampers). I put them on mine when I decided that the ride was too hard and the wet weather grip improved enormously along with general handling. There is no need to go to LEDA unless your really serious about performance (LEDA handling is fantastic).
There is loads of archive stuff about Eibachs (including a fitting guide from me!) with few if any negative reports.

Neil.
Old 25 August 2000, 12:35 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

....Oh dear - this is not good news...why couldn`t you all say `naw nothing in it!!!!`

I think I may need to test drive an Sti; unfortunately this will be followed by a deposit!!!!!!!
Old 25 August 2000, 12:52 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

They don't seem to grip as well. My old UK with 17's was better. Not much, but better. But the STi is much more fun - power oversteer is more fun.
The gearing isn't to short on 4/5 doors. Is on 2 doors and these are far more tail happy.
Performance wwise between 2/4/5 doors theres nothing in it in the later ones.

The engine blowing was one of those things. Just the same as UK Scoobs that've done the big end.

With an STi though, you must get rid of the std tyres. They're so crap you wouldn't believe it. And get the normal geometry change.

UK car with Unichip will have less of a warranty than an STi!!

And I most definitely would never run one on 95 ron fuel. Asking for trouble, big time
Old 25 August 2000, 12:58 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Craig,

I`ve always run my UK on 97Ron - so much smoother at top end and on over-run.......

Had contiSport when I got the car so I know all about crap tyres!!!!! Got F1`s now - awesome wet grip!
Old 25 August 2000, 09:57 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Stephen,

Good point!! AS I need the car specifically to use as a seat down dog mobil - does anyone know ref rear seats?

I`m sure the STi gets a strut brace - but I had assumed that both seats fold!

Craig - not so good in the wet - in what way; not enough compliance making it a bit skitish?

And ref the engine blow-up - hence interest in UK 00MY - SS & Unichip = nearly STi performance???????????
Old 25 August 2000, 10:32 AM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

James,

I can confirm that the STI is not so good in the wet, as I have spun it coming off an island in third! Apparently I should have wound up the centre diff a couple of notches to make it handle more like a UK car. It is a little tail happy even in the dry, but it's not too snappy. I have fitted slightly softer sidewalled tyres (Toyos) and they make the ride more compliant. They can get a little overwhelmed at the limit, but the break away gently.

Cheers

Matt
Old 25 August 2000, 10:37 AM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

Well I downgraded to a standard turbo after my STi was written off! I agree the STi is much more powerful with the raw edge that brings the smile to your face, I just hope this one loosens up a bit as I have just run it in. Suspension is harder on the Sti but still OK. Seats fold and there was no rear brace in the way in the rear of my 98 5 door.
Do get decent tyres... 17" and Pirelli P Zeros transform the car, the standard SO1's are rubbish. ian
Old 25 August 2000, 11:29 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

I looked at a UK car before getting a 98 STi 5 door. Both cars were priced about the same but the better spec of the STi makes it a bit of a bargain. I've done about 12k on 95 ron (no SUL within 200 miles & 14 hours on a ferry !!) without any problem. Suspension isn't too hard, I reckon the front still needs uprating as it dives a bit heavy into the corners. Rear seats do fold down and there's no rear strut brace. Never actually had an insurance quote for a UK car but my renewal has arrived from Admiral this morning @£569 (but I am 36). Get a decent one with known history and you won't regret it.

Kevin.
Old 25 August 2000, 01:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're all gits. The thing that was really putting *me* off was the insurance aspect. So, it's not necessarily as bad as I've been told then? (BTW, I'm 26, full NCB and was told to look at around 2k for insurance on an STI as opposed to 650 quid that I'm paying currently for UK MY00)

I am *not* taking a test drive. Nosir.

(time to get another insurance quote - edited to make point a bit clearer, believe it or not )

[This message has been edited by chiark (edited 25 August 2000).]
Old 25 August 2000, 01:42 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Ive changed from a 98MY to an STI V, then an RB5 Prodrive, then a MY00 and now the P1.

If its just performance wise take a UK MY99 or MY00 add the performance pack and youre not far off an STI's performance. Low down the UK car will kick the STI's butt. Its only at the top end that the STI will catch up. The bigger turbo in the STI does feel like its a bigger push in the back and the shorter gearing makes it feel quicker.

Other have commented on the ride of an STI and crap tyres, so just add that to the cost to change. A UK car down bumpy B roads will be quicker and be less of a handfull in the wet.

Make sure you look at how close the dealer is to service the car and if your IM dealer will service a Grey. Some do.

Of all the Scoobies Ive owned apart from the P1 the RB5 with PPP was my favorite.

The third alternative to look at is a 5DR 99/00MY with PPP, aircon and 17". I'm sure there are some good deals on cars to that spec.

If its a bog MY00 vs STI then I'd go for the STI.

JOnathan
Old 25 August 2000, 01:42 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

Really!! I`m 27, just, and payed 850 this year on my UK........
Old 25 August 2000, 01:46 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

Thats really interesting as, if I went UK route, it would be 17inch, maybe prodrive suspension and probably unichip (better value than PPP IMHO - bar warrenty!).

So are we saying that a 99/00MY UK with above mods will be a `better` real world B-road car than an Sti? Plus warrenty plus no melted piston crisis!
Old 25 August 2000, 01:58 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If you are looking at real world advantages, you can't forget the climate control that will come as standard in the import.
Personally I couldn't live in a Scooby with no air con.
Old 25 August 2000, 02:27 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Without going into a Unichip vs PPP. Yes the PPP is 2k, but it the car will be worth about 750-1000 more come resale time. A car with any non factory modified ECU can be worth less than a std car.

If you are not worried about warranty, then save your money to modify the suspension & wheels of an STI.

Jonathan
Old 25 August 2000, 02:46 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

You are correct of course - if you let on!!!

Are there more subtle differences between UK & STi eg stiffer shell, stronger trans etc, stronger suspension pick-up points, less NVH, weight etc etc.

Obviously the blueprinted engine counts!
Old 25 August 2000, 03:01 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Jonathan/
I got an extra £1000 for my car just to leave the PE Phase 1 and exhaust on. As the Phase 1 would not fit a MY00 I took the extra £1000.
As I do like a warrenty I had the PossumLink fitted to my MY00 It is just a replacement ECU which can be changed within mins and the car will be back to STD. Car feels just like my old PE Phase 1 MY98 now.
Old 25 August 2000, 04:30 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Standard UK spec car too similar to a WRX???
No,no,no!! The difference between WRX and Sti is a personal thing - STi is certainly more focused, but the downside is that it's less easy to live with day-to-day, IMHO.
But the difference between standard UK spec and WRX/Sti, now that's a different story. You'd never go back to a standard UK car...
Old 25 August 2000, 04:49 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

James.

In general terms to cover all STi range; STis have ally boot and bonnet, ally wishbones, 4 pots as standard (although later UKs have them too), rear wash wipe (even saloons), climate control (better than aircon), quickshift, alcantara seats in a slightly more "hugging" profile, indicator stalk on the (proper!)right side and big (centre) rev counter. Additionally 4/5 door models should be fitted with a CD/Tape/Radio.

A UK car having a smaller turbo will spool up quicker but basic "breathing mods" on an STi will soon eliminate any apparent low down advantage of a UK car. The STi also goes on to redline at 8000rpm.
It's simply a faster and better equipped car than a UK turbo (which are still fantastic incidentally!).

Neil.
Old 26 August 2000, 09:21 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

James,

Park Lane have a newish 5 door in stock - well they did last weekend, and uniquely it has LEATHER seats!

Also, I beleive that five doors means the rear seat folds down.

R
Old 26 August 2000, 10:44 PM
SimonB
Scooby Regular

A note for Steven & James ref STI 5DR rear seats.

My 97 STi3 seats split 60/40, seat squabs fold up and backs lay flat. Went to Spain this year with all the windsurfing gear, no problems.

I changed from an Alpine GTA Turbo (had it 7 yrs) only regrets are more noise and missing Two cylinders.
Old 28 August 2000, 09:11 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just go and get the STi..you'll be glad you did...mmmmm..much better

[This message has been edited by Showtime (edited 28 August 2000).]