ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2005, 06:44 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering kits

Thinking about getting the scoob lowered
Which is the best option? & why
eiback lowering springs or prodrive lowering springs?

How low can you go etc...

Some info would be good.

Thanks.
Old 24 February 2005, 06:56 PM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

Lowering springs ruin the car, So dont bother unless you go for full suspension.
Old 24 February 2005, 07:02 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
eiback lowering springs or prodrive lowering springs?
I think Eibach make the springs for prodrive anyway mate and there is very little difference between the two.
Old 25 February 2005, 09:59 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by Livewire
Lowering springs ruin the car, So dont bother unless you go for full suspension.

So even the prodrive springs are no good?...
Old 25 February 2005, 10:09 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Mark

We do use Eibach to manufacture our springs for us but they are very different in some cases to what they sell under their own brand. Our rates are decided upon after extensive testing in the UK (and other countries as well), their's aren't.

Livewire is quite correct, lowering springs ruin the car........if they aren't done properly. If the primary aim of a spring manufacturer is to sell a spring kit for every model that lowers it by a nominal 30mm, then they are not going to work properly as it's not that easy. Just saying that the springs are 30mm lower so we need to up the rates by 25% to suit is a recipe for a car that has an awful ride and understeers like a pig. Springs that are developed on the specific car to work with the other std parts can be made to work very nicely.

Mike
Old 25 February 2005, 10:16 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Mark

We do use Eibach to manufacture our springs for us but they are very different in some cases to what they sell under their own brand. Our rates are decided upon after extensive testing in the UK (and other countries as well), their's aren't.

Livewire is quite correct, lowering springs ruin the car........if they aren't done properly. If the primary aim of a spring manufacturer is to sell a spring kit for every model that lowers it by a nominal 30mm, then they are not going to work properly as it's not that easy. Just saying that the springs are 30mm lower so we need to up the rates by 25% to suit is a recipe for a car that has an awful ride and understeers like a pig. Springs that are developed on the specific car to work with the other std parts can be made to work very nicely.

Mike
Thanks Mike for your input.

My car is standard at this moment in time, I am thinking about the 18" Pff7 wheels & the lowering kit .

I take it then it will be ok to buy the springs for the car? I dont want to ruin the cars handling etc.
Old 25 February 2005, 10:39 AM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Mark

Mike

I thought about getting eibach springs for my Evo, mainly for looks as the car rides too high. I asked many garages and tuners about lowering springs with differing opinions, more bad than good so I left the suspension standard.

but Mike may be right in what he has explained.

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2005, 10:45 AM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Do a search on this topic. You'll find loads of threads related to it that are more helpfull than some of the comments you've had so far.

Iain
Old 25 February 2005, 10:45 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Handling and ride is the priority when we develop a spring kit rather than how much we can lower it. Some kits have replacement bumpstops as well if the std part isn't giving the performance we want.

Mike