UK MY00 to 2003 UK STI PPP

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 07:20 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DECATTED UK MY00 to 2003 UK STI PPP

Hi all

Sure it's been done before but I'll ask anyway.

Seriously thinking of upgrading from my decatted MY00 to a 2003 STi PPP.. Anyone done similar and what were your impressions?

I love the sound of my car, is a PPP'd STI much quieter, I'd miss the sound if it is.

How will it feel compared to my car?

Part of me is thinking of getting a tek3 for my car another is thinking of changing to an STI, horses for courses I know but what would you do?

Cheers

BAZ

Last edited by asagi; 19 February 2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 19 February 2005, 08:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

decatted my00 probably around 235 bhp, sti ppp is 300bhp

but my00 is 235kgs lighter

in terms of power to weight

my00 with 235bhp is about 15bhp/ton less.

There are other considweration though, the sti has a six speed box aiding aceleration but the my00 run a td04 with faster spool up. To be honest the sti ppp would be he better car, no doubt but in a straight line not a lot in it.
Old 19 February 2005, 08:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive gone from an MY00 PPP'd decat to an MY03 JDM STi Spec C, well what more can be said
JDM cars are slightly different to the UK STi's, mainly in the engine area but you will enjoy the change, basically you will loose out on fuel economy but you will be in a better all round car
I'd go for it!

Tony
Old 19 February 2005, 10:18 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ive gone from an MY00 PPP'd decat to an MY03 JDM STi Spec C, well what more can be said
JDM cars are slightly different to the UK STi's, mainly in the engine area but you will enjoy the change, basically you will loose out on fuel economy but you will be in a better all round car
I'd go for it!

Tony
I had a MY00 Turbo for 2 years. Started off as a standard car then had a Magnex 6 by 4 Back box and decat centre. With that changed to EBC pads and discs to try and improve the braking. Found after that the car had become too noisy although had a little extra power. Then I started to get fed up with the 6 month servicing. So ended up trading in for a standard MY03 STi (Blobeye) STi with the 260BHP and 12 Month service interval. The best thing about the car is that I can now brake in confidence. But As I use the car as a daily commute find that I am now having to fill the car up with petrol on a every 5-6 day basis. But have to admit the car is a better drive than the MY00 I had, tend to find with the added water spray for the intercooler a faster car. Looking into PPP'ing it this year.
Old 19 February 2005, 10:24 PM
asagi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
I had a MY00 Turbo for 2 years. Started off as a standard car then had a Magnex 6 by 4 Back box and decat centre. With that changed to EBC pads and discs to try and improve the braking. Found after that the car had become too noisy although had a little extra power. Then I started to get fed up with the 6 month servicing. So ended up trading in for a standard MY03 STi (Blobeye) STi with the 260BHP and 12 Month service interval. The best thing about the car is that I can now brake in confidence. But As I use the car as a daily commute find that I am now having to fill the car up with petrol on a every 5-6 day basis. But have to admit the car is a better drive than the MY00 I had, tend to find with the added water spray for the intercooler a faster car. Looking into PPP'ing it this year.

Thanks guys keep the comments coming.
Old 20 February 2005, 11:32 AM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Default Just do it!

Originally Posted by asagi
Thanks guys keep the comments coming.
Went from MY99 to 03 STI PPP, never looked back. But, i do miss the sound of my old scoob, the PPP is quiet in comparison, although my mates say its still loud.
Old 20 February 2005, 12:18 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I went from a 99 RB5 WRSport to an 03 Sti with PPP

despite the better build quality of the newer car,give me the RB5 anyday,lots more fun to drive and no stinkin' 6-speed gearbox

Jon
Old 20 February 2005, 12:44 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by asagi
Hi all

Sure it's been done before but I'll ask anyway.

Seriously thinking of upgrading from my decatted MY00 to a 2003 STi PPP.. Anyone done similar and what were your impressions?

I love the sound of my car, is a PPP'd STI much quieter, I'd miss the sound if it is.

How will it feel compared to my car?

Part of me is thinking of getting a tek3 for my car another is thinking of changing to an STI, horses for courses I know but what would you do?

Cheers

BAZ
only basing this on a test drive in an 05 non PPP sti so sorry if the following is utter bollox

basically, totaly different car.
my classic is probably the same, if not a little more, powerfull than the sti i drove and i would honestly say that even if my classic had another 50 odd bhp over the sti, the sti would still kill it.

just a world apart in handling and cornering ability. i can't drive for toffee so an acomplished driver may find it a different outcome, but personally i found the new shape is just soo much better.

loved the 6 speeder, the brakes, everything.

if i had the choice (or the bank balance!) i would deffo go for the 03 sti
Old 20 February 2005, 12:51 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went from decatted MY00 wagon to 03 STI8 PPP (for sale) and the difference is in refinement. The sti8 delivers the power more discretely and the refinement takes from the raw experience of the classic. The sound proofing and ride is much better leading to a false impression that you are not proceeding as quick as you usually do. However, take it to a twisty road you know well and I guarantee you will notice the corners coming up so much more quickly than before. The brakes are light years ahead of the MY00 - I had Godspeeds fitted before but the Brembos are another league. The PPP also sorts your modding for you. If you want more noise you can decat the STI8 but then you're into warranty issues although a different back box should be ok.

On balance I think the STI8 PPP is a much more accomplished package and requires little improvement. It's the best of both world and certainly gets my vote.

Jerome