Sponsored by:

Used Prices

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2000, 08:01 PM
robs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Have just been looking through the 'for sale' pages...someone is offering a '94 WRX 5 door with some goodies for offers of £6500!! Never thought I'd see the day.... Is it really that bad out there??
Old 18 August 2000, 11:12 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nah, it's a shed!
Old 19 August 2000, 02:05 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just got £13,100 for my standard MY97 UK with 36K on the clock. This was a part ex against another car of £13,995.

I was fairly happy with that, as I had been offered as low as £11,700 from a Lotus dealership with the average offered around £12,500. I did get one offer of £13,500 against a Pug 206 GT, but I didn't like the GT and walked away!

My guess is that prices of Scoobs will continue to fall! This is great news for me as I will be looking for my STi V/VI by the year end .

Chris
Old 19 August 2000, 06:57 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Chris.
That was from a dealer!?
What car did you go for? And which dealer?!
..JAMES
P.S.Spoiler looks awsome!!!!!
Old 19 August 2000, 09:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking at the new Impreza - I would say that the prices of the old version will be going up!!
Pete
Old 20 August 2000, 01:01 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Dont kid yourself PSLewis they will drop, no doubt about that but by how much, is what i am interested in finding out
Old 20 August 2000, 06:34 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not having a dig at any one but I personally bought my car for enjoyment and fun not as a investment, use it enjoy then sell it for what its worth.

If you want something that holds value buy a house and a 4 year old motorbike.

Flame suit on

Saj
STI V Lots of mods (stand to loose a fortune when I sell, but have a smile on my face whilst driving)

Trending Topics

Old 20 August 2000, 10:09 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Smile

Alright James!

Glad the spoiler looks cool, you just take care of it!!

Ended up buying an '98 (facelift model) MR2 T-Bar for some cheap reliable motoring. The car is mint, 26K miles and 1 lady owner, fully spec'd with air-con leather etc. It's bloody slow after the Scoob but as I will only have it for a few months while I get my house sorted, I can deal with it. Already found a buyer for it when I come to sell .......... which is nice!

Cheers
Chris
Old 20 August 2000, 11:09 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Saj,

I agree totally.

It is a car - drive and enjoy it coz its going to be worth a lot less in 6 months time.

It is only because demand exceeded supply that the Scoobys held such ridiculusly high second hand values.

bkar
Old 21 August 2000, 12:08 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Still trying to sell mine. 2nd hand market is flat at the moment. Mine has been in Autotrader (Yorkshire) for the past two weeks and not a single call.
Old 21 August 2000, 06:48 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

Everyone seems surprised at the flat second hand market at the moment, but given that you can buy brand new scoob in europe for not much more that 2 year old in the UK, I am not surprised at all.

Generally, I think MOST people are simply hanging on to their cash to see what happens, and a LOT is going on at the moment.

1. The government are expecting the reply at the end of this month from the motor manufacturers re the recommended 12% price cut.

2. The longer people hold onto their cash, the more desparate the manufacturers will get and the bigger the cashbacks etc will be

3. The motor manufacturers seem to be pre-registering a lot of cars at the moment and then putting them out to the dealers at about a 30% discount.

All these things will have an impact on the second hand market.

Personally I am buying from Belgium at a good price and hoping to keep the scoob for long enough (4-5 years) for the 'adjustments' happening in the market to make no real difference.

Pete
Old 21 August 2000, 07:23 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

PT,

You are right about prices of second hand Scooby's against import prices.

When a garage try to sell me a 2 year 20,000 miles car for 19k, I thought no no no no no. I ended up importing a new WRX for a lot less money. Even after I paid for my own first service and paid for a 3 year warranty package I was still better off. So Ive ended up having a better spec car, which was new and for less money.

Of course, I will still loose money when I eventually sell it.

bkar
Old 21 August 2000, 08:25 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

Bright Kar,
We will all lose money when we sell, but you would on (almost) ANY new car you buy. The best part about paying less is there is less to lose!
My scoob is costing me about the same as I woudld pay for a 2 litre rep mobile from most of the manufacturers at the UK list price - therefore no contest - the sccob wins hands down - even if I have had to wait ages and ages and ages and ......

The other thing to remember is your car (or anything else for that matter) is only worth what someone will PAY for it!

Pete
Old 21 August 2000, 10:11 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

PT,

What type of import was it - European or Japanese model ?

Dare I ask, how much ?

bkar
Old 21 August 2000, 10:35 PM
cskip
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have just been to my local dealer and they have offered me £10,750 trade in for my MY98 (48K on the clock)!!! It's not even two years old yet. Thats a wacking £11,500 lost in less than two years.

What really grates is that I've spent over £600 at that dealer in the last 3 Weeks. Are they taking the micky or what?????????!!

Old 21 August 2000, 11:38 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went through the same situation a while back i.e. the value of my motorbike (a ZX6R) went through the floor cos of the import market hitting the residuals. There were big reductions in new bike prices by the manufacturers to compete with the grey import market. The situation was if anything worse for bikes than it is for cars, cos worldwide they're pretty much the same spec, just change the headlamp focus and the speedo and it's the same animal as the UK one.

What I learnt from this was that I only really wanted a new bike cos I wanted a new toy, still have the ZX6R and now probably won't change it till it is falling apart, it's a far better bike than I am a rider, but more importantly, if I changed it now the cost to change hasn't really altered that much i.e. the price of anything I'd be tempted to buy has fallen by the same margin.

What I am really saying is try not sell right now, the market is in too much of a state of flux (unless you get a good price). If you hang on in there, well yeah your scooby might not be worth anything like what it was this time last year, but nor will what you're repalcing it with either.

Have a look at the residuals on other cars that traditionally hold their values eg beemers and mercs, same thing.

In a nutshell, DON'T PANIC!

Cheers

Simon
Old 22 August 2000, 10:30 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Don't buy an MY01 at UK list price even if initially the cars are in short supply as you are bound to loose big time as people begin to import them from Europe. Force UK dealers to drop their prices to sensible leveles then our depreciation will not feel so bad. It is no good dealers offering low P/X values because of imports and then expectiong to sell at UK prices. European P/X value meand European prices, UK p/X value means UK prices don't let them have their cake and eat it.

Brendan
Old 23 August 2000, 01:54 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

Bright Kar,
MY00 Turbo 5dr, UK Spec, 3 years EU wide warranty - 837331 Belgian Francs (£12686 ex VAT @ 66BFr to £1). Inc VAT £14907.

CAT 1 alarm needs to be fitted (cost approx &500), reg & road tax @ £180, plus a budget of £500 to collect from Belgium (trade plates, air fare, ferry, petrol) makes a total OTR price of approx £16,087, a very tasty saving of approx £5,400. My saving was better as I got the currency at a better exchange rate than 66 BFr:£1.

Old 23 August 2000, 03:45 PM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Bought my MY2000, 5dr from Holland last month for £16190 inc VAT and that included air-con, side protection strips, and a boot tray. Dealer was excellent. Only cost £220 to get it home. It's a bargain what ever way you look at it.

It's one reason why the second hand market has fallen throught the floor. According to the DVLA, 16% of all new cars registered last month were imported from Europe.

Full import guide at:
Old 23 August 2000, 04:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Got burnt big time when I came to sell the mondeo ST24 and get the WRX Wagon.

Bought the mondy for 15k in july last year, went to sell it in april this year and was offered 9.2k for it.

Tried selling private, even put a cheeky add on scoobynet but no interest whatsover, might not have been helped by the ST200 just coming out, plus the whole 'rip off britain' machine was in full swing.

Definatley once bitten twice shy.

Scooby prices were pretty firm back in april, and after the major trouser taking down I'd suffered, money was a bit on the short side, thus I went for an import. Can't say I regret it either. OK, so no main dealer serving/parts, but hey, no main dealer rip off prices either!

Plus it's got air-con and climate

it's black

It's a Wagon

it's totally debadged and mean looking

and I love it to bits

Seriously though, the market is in a dire state for sellers. If I could have waited a few months I should have, could have made my money go even further, but hey, could not wait, so did not.

As for prices going up due to new model, well, I don't really think so as a new model is a new model and people do like to get one up on the joneses, regardless of wether it looks like a corolla on steroids
Old 24 August 2000, 05:17 PM
beaker
Scooby Regular

Just sold an STiV2 95N for 11500, 43.5K on the clock. Been trying to sell it for months and got desperate!
Old 24 August 2000, 05:39 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Like all markets, it's a case of having what somebody else wants at the right time, if that's not stating the obvious. It's just that with Scoobys the supply is getting bigger and bigger so those opportunities are getting fewer and fewer. I've only recently bought my 97 WRX 5-door, and paid 15k for it. A lot of mony i hear you say, but i NEEDED the car pretty much there and then, specifically wanted a 5 door, and specifically wanted a better-than-UK-spec model. So when the car i now own came up, and it is immaculate, don't get me wrong, i paid what was probably over the odds to secure it. But i'm happy as you like with it, so i don't kill myself when i see similar cars for less money, cos i doubt there in as good condition. My only possible regret is not looking seriously at an STi - i thought it would be too uncompromising for a family transport, and there are very few 5 door Sti's out there, but i could be wrong on both counts. But i know i won't get my money back when i sell it, but driving's never been so much fun.
And hey, if you think selling a Scooby is tough, try selling a phase 1 Renault 5 GT Turbo - i'm down to £900 now and no takers. Hmmmm....
Old 25 August 2000, 01:04 PM
MartinSteer
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Just bought a good cond, MY97 (R-Reg) with air for £ 10,500. Think that price is about right.

Now let's see what I'll get for my Celica GT4 with 176,000 on the clock :-(