Sponsored by:

Scoobie rammed then stolen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2000, 11:07 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

It gets worse. Never mind alarming your car and locking your dorrs. This is from the local St Albans paper this week:

"Two men used their car as a battering ram when they robbed and assaulted another motorist....
A silver subaru...was rammed from behind by two men driving a fiesta. The Fiesta driver and passenger then got out of their car and punched the other driver in the face before stealing his car."

What are you supposed to do?? If I ever get rear ended (ooeerr) I think I'll floor it and worry about getting the insurance details later/never!

Old 23 August 2000, 11:28 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

is it worth having that film fitted to your windows to stop people
1. brakin' into your car
2. also attacking you by smashin' your glass to get to you?

TOAD do it, when i looked into it to have it fitted to my BMW it was costin' about £250 for all the side windows!

it would stop a thief getting at you, but also allows you to get out in an accident!
Old 24 August 2000, 12:10 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yeah, one of the few down sides of owning a scooby I suppose.
My alarm/immobiliser automatically locks my doors when I pull away and the revs get to 2K, they open again when I turn ignition off, or open door from inside. This saves me having to remember to do it. It also has an anti hijack device where a code needs to be entered every time the drivers door is opened, if the code isn't entered the car comes to a controlled halt after 20 seconds, cutting out and sounding alarm. The idea being that any potential hijacker gets far enough away from you but doesn't getting away with the car. I must admit I haven't turned this facility on as I thought it was overkill, maybe I should have a re-think!

Andy.
Old 24 August 2000, 07:57 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Stuart? What's your recommendation to avoid this situation?
I'm guessing the new (minor) accident procedure would be to lock the doors and before you do anything dial 999 on your mobile?
If you haven't got a mobile then get one, if for no other reason than to keep it in the car.
What a world we live in eh?

Neil.
Old 24 August 2000, 10:37 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

These sort of people should be shot !!!

I live near St Albans, and have a silver 00MY, am I to lock it on my drive and not use it? If I did, they'd prob break into my house and nick the keys

Message to the govenment/police - sort it out NOW

David
Old 24 August 2000, 10:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's bad news, but it ain't that new and it ain't just subarus. Can't remember where I saw it, but a year or so ago there were articles in the press saying if you're rammed from behind in a car (oo er), drive to your nearest police station.

Don't be paranoid, just be sensible. Let's hope it doesn't happen to anyone.
Old 24 August 2000, 11:51 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I also remember reading about scum putting bins in front of your driveway. You then arrive home, get out of the car with the engine running and the scum drive off in your car.

Seems as car security gets better, these scum just find more ingenious/violent methods of obtaining cars. These scum are obviously too lazy or stupid to earn money, so they steal.

I'm all for the "3 strikes and your out" method. Getting 25 years for nicking 3 cars might deter some of the scum.

Jerome.

Trending Topics

Old 24 August 2000, 11:54 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bl**dy hell, that's awful.

I know they say that you shouldn't lock your doors when driving/stationery etc., in case of an accident, but I do mine when driving alone as I had an incident a couple of years ago when I was on my own at around 0100 in the morning - I stopped to let a guy cross a pedestrian crossing and at the last minute he ran up to my door and tried to open it. I just floored it, hopefully squashing his feet.

A (male) friend also got kidnapped from a petrol station near us by 3 guys who threatened him and made him drive them to where they wanted to go. Fortunately for him, they got out at their destination and let him go - could have been a close call though.
Old 24 August 2000, 02:07 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

It sounds as if the 'Black Jax' feature on Clifford Concept alarms isn't such a bad idea after all.

Stef.
Old 24 August 2000, 03:47 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Sounds like BlackJax would be the answer: Anyone using BlackJax? How intrusive do you find it?