Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MOT time - ref no plates (quick reply needed)

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 12:33 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT time - ref no plates (quick reply needed)

My JDM sti is getting an MOT in tuesday and i have a 3/4 size front number plate

Will it fail because of that ?

Quick relpay needed so i can get a full size one made up if so.
Old 13 February 2005, 01:00 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

My fiancee's car failed because her's was partially unreadable (backing had come away and some water was covering one of the numbers) so going on that i think they do pay attention to the no. plates

probably best to get a cheap one made up just in case, can keep it in the boot to keep the bab happy if they pull you over as well
Old 13 February 2005, 01:46 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CHRIS_D
My JDM sti is getting an MOT in tuesday and i have a 3/4 size front number plate

Will it fail because of that ?
yes.

anything that is away from the bog std will fail as far as i'm aware. lettering size has to be std, as has the spacing and i think the border is a set size aswell.

yours isn't a total **** take in size,but to be on the safe side put a boggo one one for the test, then change it back over.

i've got a small plate on mine (about 8"x1 1/2") front of the car looks ****e with the boggo plate on, but then again it is only for one day a year

as gljam says, leave it in the boot so if you get pulled say you've just had some pics taken and you've forgotten to put it back on, or something like that
Old 13 February 2005, 05:07 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Regs here DVLA

Basically there's a minimum letter height and width plus a minimum margin of yellow or white round the outside. No defined overall size so if you have a short number A1 ABC type, then you can a short number plate and still be legal on font and margin. But be careful, you also need postcode of the plate supplier and BS thingy on it to be fully legal and if you buy a standard plate and cut the ends of you can often cut these extra bits off too.

Just seen that there's an exemption for some imports. Intended for the EVO's that come with square front plates I think but you may be able to exploit this to get away with a 3/4 size plate. Need to check the dimensions closely.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 13 February 2005 at 05:10 PM.