ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice for 'refreshing' my car

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2005, 11:47 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice for 'refreshing' my car

I have currently had a MY01 for over 3 years and it has a couple of personal touches that makes it mine! I have looked around at various options of changing the car but obviously these all cost several £thousands- when I already have a car that I think is great, it's only that I am very used to it now.

The best option therefore may well be to PPP it. And here is the question. Is PPP the best option over TEK3(?) and would both 'sit well' with a 45000 mile car- or are they best done with newer engines? I wouldn't want to sacrifice the reliability or the longevity of the car because if I made the move to PPP I would expect to keep it for many more years.

Also, am I right in thinking that the PPP chip is no longer a 'piggyback' chip and does that mean it is exactly the same PPP that a current WRX would receive, therefore the same 265 bhp & same performance?

Bexlee
Old 12 February 2005, 11:55 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't have a warranty then forget the PPP. The PPP now uses Tek software so is comparable to a Tek3. However a Tek3 is a custom map which is tweaked to suit your car alone, therefore the performance gain will be slightly over and above that of the PPP.
Old 12 February 2005, 12:02 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

..........as for reliability - on one hand, you are going to be running more boost so maybe it will take some miles off the engine, but on the other hand, as the Tek3 is mapped to your car then maybe it's just as safe if not safer.
I had my Tek3 done at around 52k and have since done 24k with no problems, other than the baked clutch
If i was you, i would fit a knocklink and AFR and get it Tekked
As a side note, one of my fave mods was having Eibach springs fitted
Old 13 February 2005, 10:00 AM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Brun

I have 10 months extended warranty remaining.

However, Tek3 sounds like it makes most sense. Would it make it equivalent to MY05 PPP in terms of power / performance and how much of a compromise would you expect it to make over longevity? Presumably reliability would be expected to be as good as a standard car?
Old 13 February 2005, 11:00 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Tough to answer. The turbo will be under a little more strain and one or two other bits, but it might just turn a 200k engine into a 170k engine. No problem IMO on the basis that std engines have been known to let go with under 50k and less.
As i said above, get a knocklink and an AFR and your back is covered IMO.
A Tek3 will match a ppp and more