Japanese Auction House's

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 10:31 AM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japanese Auction House's

Hi All.

Need a bit of advice about personally importing a car from japan. I have been searching the web for what looks like a reputable agent or auction house and have come accross this one,
http://www.j-cars.com/0001.htm

Can anybody give me some words of wisdom on this particular site or on importing a car in general. This site uses the USS auctions which i have heard is a good thing.

I have run a search but they mostly come back with threads warning not to do it and leave it to the professionals etc etc... but there must be some success stories out there?

Not to concerned about the prices as I have alot of this information, More interested in finding a reputable site that i can trust.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11 February 2005, 12:37 PM
djvoodoo
Scooby Regular

hi

if you like, i have a friend who owns a subaru firm in Kenya, he gets me good deals on cars from Japan, import...low mileage etc etc...

benefits of using him are that you can rely on him to find you a decent car as he has agents there who will physically see the car before you buy it and inform you of the specs and details.

if you need some help be happy to lend a hand.

Regards

Ameet
Old 11 February 2005, 04:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I usually advise people against for a number of reasons.... I dont know this company but assuming that you have access to the auctions listings showing the pictures and appraisal sheet it shouldnt be too bad; do they have price history information based on previous company purchases? Their fees seem to be a little expensive to me; Id expect to be paying about ¥70,000 with 5% commission (¥10,000 minimum). 5% sales tax shouldnt ever be charged because the agents claim it back, this is a common fiddle though.

If you really must do this on your own rather than using a respected firm like NewEra; then Id advise you to only spend money that you can afford to lose. Remember also that buying cars in Japan is like dealing in salvage; you have to expect to take a bath every 3rd/4th car.

You have to be aware that a cheap car in USS Nagoya can be a lot dearer here:

Car: £600
Agents fees: £450
Shipping: £400
Duty: £145
VAT: £280
Port costs: £120
Delivery: £100 minimum
Registration £50 minimum

Your ¥120,000 / £600 car now stands you at an absolute minimum of £2,150 and thats using far more favourable agents fees.

Simon
Old 11 February 2005, 05:06 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive just looked at their site some more; their fees are SHOCKING! In my experience £350 for fees exc. commission is reasonable, expect to pay more from distant auction as the transport to Sakai will cost more. Their auction grade/auction sheet advice page is useful enough though...

Simon
Old 14 February 2005, 08:40 AM
Doink
Scooby Regular

GC8,

Thanks for the replys, just what I was after.
I'll have a think before i do anything further.

Steve.